Any supplements we should NOT take?

Discuss herbal therapies, vitamins and minerals, etc. here
ElliotB
Family Elder

Re: Any supplements we should NOT take?

Post by ElliotB »

Interesting article, thanks for posting it.

Mushrooms have long been thought to have tremendous healing power!
Jaded
Family Elder

Post by Jaded »

What’s the issue with soy? I have soya milk....
ElliotB
Family Elder

Post by ElliotB »

There are many reasons not to consume soy products. Do a Google search:

"why you should not eat soy"

Of course, like just about everything on Google there are opposing opinions, so if you do a search for

"is soy good for you"

You will find many reasons in favor of consuming soy.
Last edited by ElliotB on Fri Sep 21, 2018 3:27 am, edited 1 time in total.
Jaded
Family Elder

Post by Jaded »

Thanks.

Yes I was persuaded by that article - especially when I’ve been trying to keep well - by which I mean not catch any bugs or succumb to a cold etc. Too late now but not sure what to do next.
Zyklon
Family Elder

Post by Zyklon »

Any calcium supplement should be taken with caution if you take vitamin D3. I take 5000 IU daily and with limited calcium-rich food, my blood calcium level is very near to upper limit. So my advice is never take two together unless your doctor asks.
Pain! You made me a, you made me a believer, believer
Pain! You break me down, you build me up, believer, believer
Pain! Oh let the bullets fly, oh let them rain
My life, my love, my drive, it came from... Pain!
81Charger
Family Elder

Post by 81Charger »

Zyklon wrote:Any calcium supplement should be taken with caution if you take vitamin D3. I take 5000 IU daily and with limited calcium-rich food, my blood calcium level is very near to upper limit. So my advice is never take two together unless your doctor asks.
Even if we are dairy free would it be unwise to take more than one calcium?
jimmylegs
Volunteer Moderator

Post by jimmylegs »

what are your most recent serum ca levels 81c
active members shape site content. if there is a problem, speak up!
use the report button to flag problematic post content to volunteer moderators' attention.
Jaded
Family Elder

Post by Jaded »

Hmmmm I started taking calcium recently - it includes mag and Vit D. I took them in the morning and moved my mag supplements to the evening.

But read that calcium can stop the body absorbing antibiotics so am putting them aside for now. Hard to track all these interactions.

Why the D3/calcium clash?
jimmylegs
Volunteer Moderator

Post by jimmylegs »

i never take calcium except what's in multi. based on pain with earlier attempts.
use the report button to flag problematic post content to volunteer moderators' attention.
Zyklon
Family Elder

Post by Zyklon »

Imagine your body is a sponge and calcium is water. D3 makes the sponge more dry so it can absorb more water. Even I am almost dairy free, my blood calcium level is all times high. I guess only vegetables that contain calcium is enough for me.
Pain! You made me a, you made me a believer, believer
Pain! You break me down, you build me up, believer, believer
Pain! Oh let the bullets fly, oh let them rain
My life, my love, my drive, it came from... Pain!
jimmylegs
Volunteer Moderator

Post by jimmylegs »

i avoid abx like the plague. docs overprescribed them for recurrent utis ages ago. then a naturopath prescribed an herbal tea and probiotics. worked like a charm, never looked back. had only one uti incident requiring abx close to a decade later. turns out i was zinc deficient at the time. since resolving that issue, again no utis and no abx for that or anything else. not at all interested in contributing to the rise of superbugs :S
ElliotB
Family Elder

Post by ElliotB »

According to Dr. Coimbra, a possible side effect of taking high doses of vitamin D for extended periods of time are an excess of calcium - in the blood (hypercalcemia) or in the urine (hypercalciuria), and loss of bone mass. Excess calcium can be easily avoided with a diet free of dairy and calcium-enriched foods, and regular lab tests to ensure calcium levels are kept under control.

But 35,000 IU is not necessarily an overly high daily amount at a level where the calcium issue is likely to be a problem, but simple testing and a diet low in Calcium is probably a good idea - according to Coimbra, a daily dose of 35,000 IU of vitamin D is a safe and effective therapeutic approach for reducing disease activity. Many take 3, 4 even 6 times this level on a daily basis (with doctor supervision of course).

As each person's reaction to different dosages of different vitamins can be different from others, monitoring through blood and urine testing can be very beneficial.

By the way, also according to Coimbra, despite of its name, vitamin D is not a vitamin. It is a steroid hormone necessary by our body to regulate at least 229 of our genes and thousands of functions in our cells, including the cells of our immune system.
jimmylegs
Volunteer Moderator

Post by jimmylegs »

i had brutal d3 side effects at 4000 IU per day long term.

the consequences of oral high doses have not been studied in appropriate detail

coimbra's methods have been questioned by his colleagues in the past. that and the fact that he does not subject his 'protocol' to peer review in an academically rigorous setting renders the whole thing questionable to say the least.

go outside. (somebody i know needs to walk the talk but yeah).
Jaded
Family Elder

Post by Jaded »

OK thanks for that info - all very interesting. I was taking the calcium as I have had knee problems - never taken it before. Also got some foot problem - bone marrow oedema. Thought it might help my bones! On hold for now. The MS-calcium requirement changes depending on who you speak to.

Which tea JL? It's not for a uti - it's for a chest infection and as I had pneumonia earlier this year (and a jab - but there are more bug strains than that might cater for) I wasn't taking a risk. I did have quite a lot of abx earlier this year for utis though, still unresolved and am on a daily dose 'just in case'. It wore me down. The tests were sometimes negative and they only got worried when there was blood. Anyway I guess now it's OAB or whatever. My bladder is inflamed with all the abx so not as elastic.

When I take D3 I always take K2 which ensures the D3 goes to the correct place - I think I picked that up from someone here! Was that you JL?

This isn't the place to ask but what would you take when you feel your body's defences don't seem good anymore? Apart from a holiday! I take a load of supps and maybe I need to refine them but as you all know, we collect issues over the years.
jimmylegs
Volunteer Moderator

Post by jimmylegs »

had to look up bone marrow oedema.

"MRI scanning in patients with rheumatological conditions often shows bone marrow oedema, which can be secondary to inflammatory, degenerative, infective or malignant conditions but can also be primary."

forgive me if i have asked this in the past - curious if you've ever tallied your daily food intake's pro/anti inflammation scores?

dunno why i have not seen this before but it looks interesting:

Role of zinc in bone formation and bone resorption
https://onlinelibrary.wiley.com/doi/abs/10.1002/(SICI%291520-670X(1998%2911:2/3%3C119::AID-JTRA5%3E3.0.CO;2-3

posted another one somewhere recently, which noted higher mag intake helped boost both calcium and vit d3.

when i took calcium at all it was in the attempt to follow somebody's recommendation but it just didn't work for me at all. i don't take things to add pain to my life :S

How much calcium do you really need?
https://www.health.harvard.edu/staying- ... eally-need

tea was uva ursi. it would not address a background issue with nutrient imbalance supporting conditions for bacterial overgrowth. had a look at what uva ursi does, exactly. it is antibacterial and:

"The herb also contains tannins that have astringent effects, helping to shrink and tighten mucous membranes in the body. In turn, that helps reduce inflammation and fight infection."

zinc is antibacterial and tightens mucous membranes as one of its structural roles. ensuring adequate zinc facilitates hundreds and thousands of processes. uva ursi has a much more limited influence.

don't think k2 advice would have come from me. i still need to do more reading in that dept.

if you post your current regimen, including product details like supplement type, chemical form, # pills per serving, amount of supplement per pill, how many taken each day, which combinations and which times of day, there might be something that could use a tweak. also curious if you ever just take a break from everything?