Gut Bacteria. Variety or Count?

Discuss herbal therapies, vitamins and minerals, etc. here
CureOrBust
Family Elder

Gut Bacteria. Variety or Count?

Post by CureOrBust »

Whenever I buy gut bacteria, I always try to go for the ones with the most variety or that are different to the last batch I bought. Is this choice a good one? or should I go for the higher count with less variety? Basically, trying to increase the range of bacteria in my gut as well as the count.

The other possibly invalid belief I have, is that these bacteria should actually, once established, be self perpetuating. ie they should breed and continue to be present on their own. If they continually need to be replenished, then they obviously are not "good" bacteria that are natural to the environment. I understand that antibiotics could change this situation, and/or they are not fed via correct diet and all, but as a general statement, is the above not true?

I actually noticed that with high dose of tumeric, um, not all of it was digested, until I did a broad douse of probiotics. Now, since then, I have have no signs of undigested tumeric. ie the above seems to be correct.

The other thought I'd like more knowledgeable opinion on is, for higher counts, can't we just take two or three tablets?