Phosphatidylserine?

Discuss herbal therapies, vitamins and minerals, etc. here
NHE
Volunteer Moderator

Phosphatidylserine?

Post by NHE »

Are you taking, or have you taken, phosphatidylserine? If so, how has your experience with it been?

Identification of naturally occurring fatty acids of the myelin sheath that resolve neuroinflammation.
Sci Transl Med. 2012 Jun 6;4(137):137ra73.
  • Lipids constitute 70% of the myelin sheath, and autoantibodies against lipids may contribute to the demyelination that characterizes multiple sclerosis (MS). We used lipid antigen microarrays and lipid mass spectrometry to identify bona fide lipid targets of the autoimmune response in MS brain, and an animal model of MS to explore the role of the identified lipids in autoimmune demyelination. We found that autoantibodies in MS target a phosphate group in phosphatidylserine and oxidized phosphatidylcholine derivatives. Administration of these lipids ameliorated experimental autoimmune encephalomyelitis by suppressing activation and inducing apoptosis of autoreactive T cells, effects mediated by the lipids' saturated fatty acid side chains. Thus, phospholipids represent a natural anti-inflammatory class of compounds that have potential as therapeutics for MS.
Free full text.
Quest56
Family Elder

Re: Phosphatidylserine? - Also Vinpocetine

Post by Quest56 »

A doctor recommended this supplement to me several years ago for brain health. I have been taking it daily ever since, although I cannot point to any specific benefit with respect to my daily symptoms. I take "phosphatidyl serine matrix" from Source Naturals, 500mg morning and evening and plan to keep taking it indefinitely.

Another supplement she recommended that I still use is low dose Vinpocetine, I take 10mg morning and evening. This is also available from Source Naturals. I like what I've read about it in pubmed.
Last edited by Quest56 on Fri Oct 23, 2015 7:13 am, edited 1 time in total.
jackD
Family Elder

Re: Phosphatidylserine?

Post by jackD »

PubMed has some good abstracts on why vinpocetine may help MS folks. I take it to prevent strokes. I have had a minor one 1 Jan 2015 and do not want another.

jackD

Molecules. 2014 Dec 26;20(1):335-47. doi: 10.3390/molecules20010335.

Anti-inflammatory effects of vinpocetine in atherosclerosis and ischemic stroke: a review of the literature.

Zhang L1, Yang L2.

Immune responses play an important role in the pathophysiology of atherosclerosis and ischemic stroke. Atherosclerosis is a common condition that increases the risk of stroke. Hyperlipidemia damages endothelial cells, thus initiating chemokine pathways and the release of inflammatory cytokines-this represents the first step in the inflammatory response to atherosclerosis. Blocking blood flow in the brain leads to ischemic stroke, and deprives neurons of oxygen and energy. Damaged neurons release danger-associated molecular patterns, which promote the activation of innate immune cells and the release of inflammatory cytokines. The nuclear factor κ-light-chain-enhancer of activated B cells κB (NF-κB) pathway plays a key role in the pathogenesis of atherosclerosis and ischemic stroke. Vinpocetine is believed to be a potent anti-inflammatory agent and has been used to treat cerebrovascular disorders. Vinpocetine improves neuronal plasticity and reduces the release of inflammatory cytokines and chemokines from endothelial cells, vascular smooth muscle cells, macrophages, and microglia, by inhibiting the inhibitor of the NF-κB pathway. This review clarifies the anti-inflammatory role of vinpocetine in atherosclerosis and ischemic stroke.

PMID: 25549058 [PubMed - in process]
Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A. 2010 May 25;107(21):9795-800. doi: 10.1073/pnas.0914414107. Epub 2010 May 6.

Vinpocetine inhibits NF-kappaB-dependent inflammation via an IKK-dependent but PDE-independent mechanism.

Jeon KI1, Xu X, Aizawa T, Lim JH, Jono H, Kwon DS, Abe J, Berk BC, Li JD, Yan C.

Inflammation is a hallmark of many diseases, such as atherosclerosis, chronic obstructive pulmonary disease, arthritis, infectious diseases, and cancer. Although steroids and cyclooxygenase inhibitors are effective antiinflammatory therapeutical agents, they may cause serious side effects. Therefore, developing unique antiinflammatory agents without significant adverse effects is urgently needed. Vinpocetine, a derivative of the alkaloid vincamine, has long been used for cerebrovascular disorders and cognitive impairment. Its role in inhibiting inflammation, however, remains unexplored. Here, we show that vinpocetine acts as an antiinflammatory agent in vitro and in vivo. In particular, vinpocetine inhibits TNF-alpha-induced NF-kappaB activation and the subsequent induction of proinflammatory mediators in multiple cell types, including vascular smooth muscle cells, endothelial cells, macrophages, and epithelial cells. We also show that vinpocetine inhibits monocyte adhesion and chemotaxis, which are critical processes during inflammation. Moreover, vinpocetine potently inhibits TNF-alpha- or LPS-induced up-regulation of proinflammatory mediators, including TNF-alpha, IL-1beta, and macrophage inflammatory protein-2, and decreases interstitial infiltration of polymorphonuclear leukocytes in a mouse model of TNF-alpha- or LPS-induced lung inflammation. Interestingly, vinpocetine inhibits NF-kappaB-dependent inflammatory responses by directly targeting IKK, independent of its well-known inhibitory effects on phosphodiesterase and Ca(2+) regulation. These studies thus identify vinpocetine as a unique antiinflammatory agent that may be repositioned for the treatment of many inflammatory diseases.

Comment in
Vinpocetine as a potent antiinflammatory agent. [Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A. 2010]
jackD
Family Elder

Post by jackD »

I would also like to mention that I take Clonidine (.2 mg Transdermal Patch) to control my blood pressure which is also being researched to help control MS spasticity.

It also helps control atrial fibrillation. A problem which I also have.

Am Heart J. 2001 Aug;142(2):E3.

Clinical assessment of clonidine in the treatment of new-onset rapid atrial fibrillation: a prospective, randomized clinical trial.

Simpson CS1, Ghali WA, Sanfilippo AJ, Moritz S, Abdollah H.

PURPOSE:

The role of digoxin and verapamil in the control of ventricular response in rapid atrial fibrillation is well established. This study investigates how clonidine compares with these standard therapies in rate control for new-onset rapid atrial fibrillation. We set out to test the hypothesis that clonidine effectively reduces heart rate in patients with new-onset rapid atrial fibrillation.

SUBJECTS AND METHODS:

Forty patients were seen in the emergency department with new-onset (< or =24 hours' duration), stable, rapid atrial fibrillation. Eligible patients were randomized to receive either clonidine, digoxin, or verapamil. Changes in heart rate and blood pressure over 6 hours, as well as frequency of conversion to sinus rhythm were recorded and analyzed.

RESULTS:

The mean reduction in heart rate over 6 hours was 44.4 beats/min (95% confidence interval [CI] 28.4-60.4 beats/min) in the clonidine group, 52.1 beats/min (95% CI 40.8-63.4 beats/min) in the digoxin group, and 41.8 beats/min (95% CI 22.5-61.0 beats/min) in the verapamil group. Analysis of variance of the heart rate changes in the 3 groups after 6 hours was not significant (P =.55). At 6 hours, 7 of 12 clonidine patients, 8 of 15 digoxin patients, and 7 of 13 verapamil patients remained in atrial fibrillation (P =.962 on chi(2)).

CONCLUSION:

Clonidine controls ventricular rate in new-onset atrial fibrillation with an efficacy comparable to that of standard agents.

PMID: 11479482 [PubMed - indexed for MEDLINE]
Saudi J Anaesth. 2011 Jul;5(3):339-41. doi: 10.4103/1658-354X.84119.

Role of clonidine in perioperative acute atrial fibrillation.

Garg V1, Prasad KN.

We report a case of acute onset atrial fibrillation (AF) that presented for emergency surgery where rate control and sinus rhythm were successfully achieved using clonidine. Patient had acute AF with high blood pressure. Metoprolol failed to decrease the ventricular rate and blood pressure but with clonidine, we could achieve both the goals. Also, rhythm reverted to a sinus rhythm and continued to be in sinus rhythm after administering clonidine.

KEYWORDS:

Atrial fibrillation; clonidine; perioperative

PMID: 21957422 [PubMed] PMCID: PMC3168360
Quest56
Family Elder

Post by Quest56 »

jackD wrote:PubMed has some good abstracts on why vinpocetine may help MS folks. I take it to prevent strokes. I have had a minor one 1 Jan 2015 and do not want another.
Hopefully you are also taking high-dose Biotin.

Seeva recently posted a patent application for the use of high-dose Biotin which contains info about its use in treating ischemic stroke as well as MS.
NHE
Volunteer Moderator

Re: Phosphatidylserine? - Also Vinpocetine

Post by NHE »

Hi Questor,
questor wrote:I doctor recommended this supplement to me several years ago for brain health. I have been taking it daily ever since, although I cannot point to any specific benefit with respect to my daily symptoms. I take "phosphatidyl serine matrix" from Source Naturals, 500mg morning and evening and plan to keep taking it indefinitely.
Thanks for sharing your experience with phosphatidylserine. I have recently read about someone else's experience with it and they mentioned that it lowered their cortisol, reduced blood pressure and made them feel very relaxed. They're using a phosphatidylserine derived from non-GMO sunflower lecithin. I've been thinking about adding it to my regimen, but I'm looking into the current research and other's experiences with it first.
CureOrBust
Family Elder

Post by CureOrBust »

In your research, see if you can find any truth behind the statement made by the random customer on the iHerb website
Then I came across an article that stated the only type of PS that was used in the successful studies was the Leci-PS. There are many different PS's being marketed, few of them are Leci-PS.
http://www.iherb.com/product-reviews/So ... /2458/?p=1
:?
NHE
Volunteer Moderator

Post by NHE »

CureOrBust wrote:In your research, see if you can find any truth behind the statement made by the random customer on the iHerb website
Then I came across an article that stated the only type of PS that was used in the successful studies was the Leci-PS. There are many different PS's being marketed, few of them are Leci-PS.
http://www.iherb.com/product-reviews/So ... /2458/?p=1
:?
This contains Sharp-PS by Enzymotec Ltd.
http://www.supersup.com/media/catalog/p ... 005629.jpg

http://enzymotec.com/Article.aspx?Item=787&ln=en

I'm not sure what "Leci-PS" is.
CureOrBust
Family Elder

Post by CureOrBust »

I also checked on eBay for "pure" phosphatidylserine and was surprised to find that it came in a max of 50% purity.
CureOrBust
Family Elder

Post by CureOrBust »

NHE wrote:Are you taking, or have you taken, phosphatidylserine? If so, how has your experience with it been?
OK, i was interested enough to order a batch. The one I purchased, also contains GPC (GlyceroPhosphoCholine) which supposedly "compliment" each other. I will let you know if I notice any benefit. :geek:

The weird thing I did notice on the pack, was that it recommended taking the dose before 4pm. :?
Suggested Use
Adult Use:
Take 2 capsules daily between meals, not later than 4 pm. Intakes up to 6 capsules per day may be beneficial, or higher intakes as recommended by a nutritionally informed physician.
CureOrBust
Family Elder

Post by CureOrBust »

I have finished my pack of Phosphatidylserine. I cannot say I noticed any difference while on or after taking this nuetraceutical. I will not be purchasing this product again unless there is further research undertaken that shows a benefit.
NHE
Volunteer Moderator

Post by NHE »

CureOrBust wrote:I have finished my pack of Phosphatidylserine. I cannot say I noticed any difference while on or after taking this nuetraceutical. I will not be purchasing this product again unless there is further research undertaken that shows a benefit.
Thanks for sharing your experience. Were you taking the soy derived phosphatidylserine or the sunflower derived phosphatidylserine? There's also a phosphatidylserine conjugated with the omega-3 DHA which is supposed to be beneficial to the brain.
CureOrBust
Family Elder

Post by CureOrBust »

This is the one I took ("Doctors Best") http://au.iherb.com/Doctor-s-Best-Natur ... Caps/21289

Don't know if this also helps answer your questions, but I also regularly take 6 of these a day (3 capsules twice a day) which have high DHA content.
https://www.blackmores.com.au/products/omega-brain
Concentrated Omega-3 Triglycerides-Fish 1 G (1000 Mg)
Containing Omega-3 Marine Triglycerides 600Mg As:
Eicosapentaenoic Acid (Epa) 100 Mg,
Docosahexaenoic Acid (Dha) 500 Mg
ElliotB
Family Elder

Post by ElliotB »

I just discovered this supplement after hearing about it on a syndicated radio show that was aired on a local radio station recently. I started taking it about a week ago. It is one of a select few that makes a lot of sense to take. What I find interesting is that it targets mylin. I wish I had found out about it years ago. I am surprised this supplement is not talked about more. It is too bad there are no MS related studies on it because it appears to be one of very few that target mylin repair.

Return to “Natural Approach”