Will Vitamin D Protect Your Heart?

Discuss herbal therapies, vitamins and minerals, etc. here
NHE
Volunteer Moderator

Will Vitamin D Protect Your Heart?

Post by NHE »

https://www.peoplespharmacy.com/2017/04 ... our-heart/

The higher your vitamin D levels are, the less likely you are to die from cardiovascular disease. But will taking vitamin D protect your heart?

A meta-analysis of 34 studies involving over 180,000 participants found that people with higher levels of 25-hydroxyvitamin D were less likely to succumb to a heart attack or stroke. This is the form of vitamin D that is measured in blood tests to determine how much of the vitamin is circulating in the body.

These were observational studies rather than randomized controlled trials, however. As a result, we don’t know how people with better vitamin D levels got their vitamin D-from sun exposure or from supplements.

Serum 25-hydroxyvitamin D and the risk of cardiovascular disease: dose-response meta-analysis of prospective studies
http://ajcn.nutrition.org/content/105/4/810.abstract
  • Background: During the past decade, an increasing number of prospective studies have focused on the association between vitamin D and cardiovascular disease (CVD). However, the evidence on the relation between serum 25-hydroxyvitamin D [25(OH)D] and the risk of overt CVD is inconclusive.

Objective: We performed a dose-response meta-analysis to summarize and prospectively quantify the RR of low serum 25(OH)D concentration and total CVD (events and mortality).

Design: We identified relevant studies by searching PubMed and EMBASE up to December 2015 and by hand-searching reference lists. Prospective studies based on the general population and reported RRs and 95% CIs were included. A random-effects model was used to calculate the pooled RRs. Nonlinear association was assessed by using restricted cubic spline analyses.

Results: A total of 34 publications with 180,667 participants were eligible for the meta-analysis. We included 32 publications (27 independent studies) for total CVD events and 17 publications (17 independent studies) for CVD mortality. We observed an inverse association between serum 25(OH)D and total CVD events and CVD mortality, and the pooled RRs per 10-ng/mL increment were 0.90 (95% CI: 0.86, 0.94) for total CVD events and 0.88 (95% CI: 0.80, 0.96) for CVD mortality. A nonlinear association was detected for total CVD events (P-nonlinear < 0.001) and CVD mortality (P-nonlinear = 0.022).

Conclusion: Serum 25(OH)D concentration was inversely associated with total CVD events and CVD mortality from the observed studies.
jimmylegs
Volunteer Moderator

Re: Will Vitamin D Protect Your Heart?

Post by jimmylegs »

when i have time, will be good to dig in further on the serum levels associated any such studies, including where atrial fibrillation or lack thereof is studied.

coincidentally i had no luck yesterday trying to get the details of a supplement meeting doc to which i am meant to have full access:
SmithMB et al. Vitamin D Excess Is Significantly Associated with Risk of Atrial Fibrillation.

related (ie it came up when i scholar searched d3 and AF):
Vitamin D and the Risk of Atrial Fibrillation - The Rotterdam Study
https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/25933375

in this ^ study, no association is found, but they are looking at deficient insufficient and adequacy brackets, not excess.

similar deal, haven't dug into details but title doesn't suggest they'll be touching on excess:

Meta-analysis of Vitamin D Deficiency and Risk of Atrial Fibrillation
http://onlinelibrary.wiley.com/doi/10.1 ... .22563/pdf
active members shape site content. if there is a problem, speak up!
use the report button to flag problematic post content to volunteer moderators' attention.
ElliotB
Family Elder

Post by ElliotB »

Scott1 recently recommenced to me "The Sinatra Solution: Metabolic Cardiology" by Stephen Sinatra.

In it Sinatra recommends specific supplements for heart health. While I have not completed the book, his recommendations appear to be excellent for heart health and I too highly recommend it to anyone seriously interested in heart health. Vitamin D is not a supplement recommenced specifically by him for heart health although he does recommend several including d-ribose.

Frankly, I wish I had known about this book and his recommendations years ago.
SeanReynolds
Family Member

Post by SeanReynolds »

On the other other hand, high doses of Vit D3 may contribute to arterial calcification. I'd recommend taking Vit K2 (high dose) to offset that problem.
jimmylegs
Volunteer Moderator

Post by jimmylegs »

definitely a matter of finding the sweet spot and making sure single nutrients are managed in conjunction with *all* relevant cofactors
use the report button to flag problematic post content to volunteer moderators' attention.
SeanReynolds
Family Member

Post by SeanReynolds »

On top of a specific antibiotic protocol to eliminate CPn, one suspected cause of MS, Dr David Wheldon has listed the following useful supplements to take to foster cell regrowth, nutrition, and immune function:

Vit C 1g daily
Vit E 800iu daily
Omega 3 fish oil daily
Evening primrose oil 1g daily
Acetyl L-Carnitine 500mg daily
Alpha Lipoic acid 150mg daily
Ubiquinone (Coenzyme Q10) 200mg daily
Selenium 200 micrograms daily
N-acetyl cysteine 600mg twice daily
Melatonin 1.5mg at night may be considered.
Apart from mitochondrial support, Vitamin D is needed. There is evidence that a relative Vitamin D deficiency is common in MS, and may allow the disease process to begin. High dose supplementation - 4000iu is recommended. (less may be needed in infections other than MS)
In addition, B complex, Magnesium 300mg and Calcium 500mg supplements should be taken. (Calcium salts should be taken remote from doxycycline as it can interfere with absorption.)
High-dose sublingual Vitamin B12 (methylcobalamin) should be taken

http://www.davidwheldon.co.uk/ms-treatment1.html

My further notes:

On top of these, research suggests taking a high dose Vit B7 (biotin) up to 100mg pd may be useful
I would also recommend high dose Vit K2 at 400 mcg pd

These last two trigger new oligodendrocyte production.

Thyroid T3 and Cogentin have also both been found to trigger new oligodendrocyte production, the latter may be preferable to the former due to side effects.

Acetyl l-carnitine is a kind of stimulant and will prevent you sleeping, so should only be taken in the morning. It can also cause nausea.

To treat the nausea caused by abx in the protocol, I highly recommend sustained release ginger-based morning sickness tablets, which last for up to 12 hours in effect, e.g. Elevit sustained release. This can make all the difference in tolerating the protocol.

N-acetyl cysteine (NAC) is an immune booster and is also the best way to increase your glutathione production, however it has the added benefit of killing CPn spores as effectively as penicillin with no noticeable side effects. This is a core part of the abx protocol, not 'just a supplement'.

I would also make calcium a little optional, unless you make sure to take high dose Vit K2 and magnesium, as I'm concerned about calcification effects, particularly in conjunction with taking Vit D3 - this could lead to arterial calcification/plaque problems and consequent cardiac problems. You probably get enough calcium in your diet if you have dairy products at all. There is evidence that Vit K2 and magnesium in particular help shift calcium out of your arteries via some complicated chemistry.
hellokc

Post by hellokc »

SeanReynolds wrote:On top of a specific antibiotic protocol to eliminate CPn, one suspected cause of MS, Dr David Wheldon has listed the following useful supplements to take to foster cell regrowth, nutrition, and immune function:

Vit C 1g daily
Vit E 800iu daily
Omega 3 fish oil daily
Evening primrose oil 1g daily
Acetyl L-Carnitine 500mg daily
Alpha Lipoic acid 150mg daily
Ubiquinone (Coenzyme Q10) 200mg daily
Selenium 200 micrograms daily
N-acetyl cysteine 600mg twice daily
Melatonin 1.5mg at night may be considered.
Apart from mitochondrial support, Vitamin D is needed. There is evidence that a relative Vitamin D deficiency is common in MS, and may allow the disease process to begin. High dose supplementation - 4000iu is recommended. (less may be needed in infections other than MS)
In addition, B complex, Magnesium 300mg and Calcium 500mg supplements should be taken. (Calcium salts should be taken remote from doxycycline as it can interfere with absorption.)
High-dose sublingual Vitamin B12 (methylcobalamin) should be taken

http://www.davidwheldon.co.uk/ms-treatment1.html

My further notes:

On top of these, research suggests taking a high dose Vit B7 (biotin) up to 100mg pd may be useful
I would also recommend high dose Vit K2 at 400 mcg pd

These last two trigger new oligodendrocyte production.

Thyroid T3 and Cogentin have also both been found to trigger new oligodendrocyte production, the latter may be preferable to the former due to side effects.

Acetyl l-carnitine is a kind of stimulant and will prevent you sleeping, so should only be taken in the morning. It can also cause nausea.

To treat the nausea caused by abx in the protocol, I highly recommend sustained release ginger-based morning sickness tablets, which last for up to 12 hours in effect, e.g. Elevit sustained release. This can make all the difference in tolerating the protocol.

N-acetyl cysteine (NAC) is an immune booster and is also the best way to increase your glutathione production, however it has the added benefit of killing CPn spores as effectively as penicillin with no noticeable side effects. This is a core part of the abx protocol, not 'just a supplement'.

I would also make calcium a little optional, unless you make sure to take high dose Vit K2 and magnesium, as I'm concerned about calcification effects, particularly in conjunction with taking Vit D3 - this could lead to arterial calcification/plaque problems and consequent cardiac problems. You probably get enough calcium in your diet if you have dairy products at all. There is evidence that Vit K2 and magnesium in particular help shift calcium out of your arteries via some complicated chemistry.
CoQ10 plays an important role in the production of 95% of the enrgy used by the body at the cellular level and no other organ needs more energy than the heart. You may not be able to experience the potential benefits if you are not absorbing your CoQ10 supplement.

CoQ0 has poor absorption, therefore, you should choose one that is both water and fat-soluble which is better absorbed by the body than regular CoQ10.

(Research: https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/?te ... ormulation).
ElliotB
Family Elder

Post by ElliotB »

"choose one that is both water and fat-soluble"

Very interesting... how would you know?
jimmylegs
Volunteer Moderator

Post by jimmylegs »

interesting - personally I don't bother with anything non essential ie synthesized by the human body. have dabbled in the herbals here and there with mixed results, but I generally view them as first aid, not long term fundamentals. instead, essentials in proper balance are the priority. where the immune system is concerned, zinc is a major player - properly balanced with copper of course!
SeanReynolds
Family Member

Post by SeanReynolds »

I've benefitted personally from supplementation. Even when the body does synthesise certain things itself, it may not be enough, you may get better results by topping it up, and the body tends to use them up in a 'triage' fashion when levels are low, ie it uses them where it needs them most first for survival, but then neglects other areas where they are required.

Since I started taking 1g of lysine a day, I've had few problems with coughs and colds, for instance. Vit B complex wakes me up and gives me more energy. Then I'm taking a proline/lysine/Vit C mix to stimulate collagen production and provide raw materials for arterial health. And a bunch of other things I could go into.
hellokc

Post by hellokc »

ElliotB wrote:"choose one that is both water and fat-soluble"

Very interesting... how would you know?
It would say it on the bottle/box. You can do a google or Amazon search to see what brands carry water and fat-soluble CoQ10.