no more supplement effects after a long period

Discuss herbal therapies, vitamins and minerals, etc. here
zen2010
Family Elder

no more supplement effects after a long period

Post by zen2010 »

Dear All,

I've been taking supplements (Bcomplex, D3 vit, C vit, Calcium, Zinc etc...) for many years.

I feel nowadays that positive effects, mainly regarding my energy level, are gone.

Did you experience the same thing?
What should I do?

Thks
jimmylegs
Volunteer Moderator

Re: no more supplement effects after a long period

Post by jimmylegs »

for each nutrient, what proportion of your daily requirement is met via whole foods

what is your precise daily supplement regimen with all forms and specific within-pill amounts of each component

what are your serum levels for all basic blood panel tests, plus those for each separate nutrient supplemented
active members shape site content. if there is a problem, speak up!
use the report button to flag problematic post content to volunteer moderators' attention.
zen2010
Family Elder

Post by zen2010 »

Hi,
Thks for asking
I had flu vaccin few days ago. According to my GP, that’s why I feel bad nowadays…
However, I’d be glad to get your feedback regarding my supplements:
jimmylegs wrote:for each nutrient, what proportion of your daily requirement is met via whole foods
I have no idea. I just try my best to vary the type of food I eat + avoid fat, sugar and salt as much as I can.
jimmylegs wrote:what is your precise daily supplement regimen with all forms and specific within-pill amounts of each component
On a daily basis:
• B12 Methylcobalamin 1000µg – Sublingual nuggets from Solgar US
• Biotin 3*100mg – caps from Medday
• Omega3 500mg – cap from French Lab
• Combo- 1 cap from Bayer:
-B1:15mg
-B2:15mg
-B3:50mg
-B5:23mg
-B6:10mg
-B9:0.400mg
-C Vit:500mg
-Calcium:100mg
-Magnesium:100mg (30.6% carbonate, 69.4% oxide)
-Zinc:10mg

• D3 4000UI (drops) from French Lab
• Magnesium 300mg (oxide) +B6 2mg -prolonged release cap from French Lab

jimmylegs wrote:what are your serum levels for all basic blood panel tests, plus those for each separate nutrient supplemented
No test done at the moment
jimmylegs
Volunteer Moderator

Post by jimmylegs »

ok makes sense that you're feeling low after a flu shot.

re food, no idea is no good :)

to start working on that knowledge gap, keep a detailed three day diet diary (all food fluids and meds, for each meal estimate intakes of specific foods by the cup, half cup, tablespoon etc etc).
eg myself first things today were:
~1 c black tea with milk and ~1/4 tsp sugar.
~1/2 c cooked steel cut oats, 1/2 c mixed berries/cherries, 1/4c milk, 1/2 Tbsp maple syrup.
(if they were handy, would have added a sprinkle of chopped walnut pieces and some flax seeds).

supplement-wise, if you're high dosing certain things and not others over the long term, could be creating an imbalance. might be time to take a break from supplement regimen. couple of weeks.

the end of such a washout period would be an ideal opportunity to run some tests, including: general electrolytes and also serum 25(OH)vit d3 & b12, serum mag, serum zinc, serum ferritin and serum copper. serum selenium too if possible.

after testing, could reintroduce a single high quality multi vit/min product, one omega 3 product, and just use those two things until your lab results come in. from there, we will be able to see which elements stay and whether there are any tweaks to be made.

hope that helps :)
use the report button to flag problematic post content to volunteer moderators' attention.
jimmylegs
Volunteer Moderator

Post by jimmylegs »

update.

morning break
-1 c coffee a la french press. added: part low fat milk, part light cream, 1/2 tsp sugar.
-one bite homemade coffee cake (for the walnuts ;) )
edit: oh yeah and two almonds

lunch
leftovers:
~1/2c mixed brown and wild rice
~1/3c steamed kale
~1/3c steamed carrots
~1 oz salmon
added ~1 pat butter, sprinkle of vinegar, salt.

edit: OH YEAH and before and after that lunch, about a half dozen (ie 3 before 3 after) mini teensy tiny hot pickled peppers. probably 1/2oz *max*.

in progress: more coffee from the french press.

another update: remainder from yesterday

afternoon snack
-another bite of cake.
-2 mini shortbread/cranberry cookies
-bite of bean salad while i was touching it up before dinner

supper
leftovers
~1/3c mixed bean salad (kidney/black/chickpea w diced sweet onion, celery, corn, red pep & dried cranberries in homemade white balsamic vinaigrette)
~ 2oz light and dark chicken
~ 1/2c mixed brown and white rice
~ 1/2c kale
~ 1/3c cabbage/onion/potato
~ 1/3c sweet potato
~ 1/3c carrots
~ 1/3c homemade chicken gravy

this was a second chicken dinner for 2 ppl off a half chicken this week. bone has been made into stock; soup pending.
still more chicken and wild/brown rice mix to get through. may actually have to prep some veg today, vs heat and eat ;)

evening snack ended up being 1/2 of a pepperette :evil:

and for overall contrast, a couple days earlier this week were a bit of a disaster involving the drive thru :twisted: