MitoLipin + Ray Peat + Phosphatidylcholine.

Discuss herbal therapies, vitamins and minerals, etc. here
DaisySue
Getting to Know You...

MitoLipin + Ray Peat + Phosphatidylcholine.

Post by DaisySue »

Hi everyone,
I’m not sure I even understand what I’m asking here, but I do know I’m asking for you to weigh in if you have an opinion on this. I see the writings and works of Ray Peat mentioned on here, and I first bought his book “From PMS to Menopause” 20 years ago, before Coconut Oil became THE thing, and his ideas started spreading like wildfire. Recently I stumbled across a Ray Peat forum, with many people impressed that he’s never selling anything and has usually not (He did make a a compounded Progesterone in Vitamin E that he was selling through a vitamin and nutrition store for awhile, and I bought it for awhile a decade ago, but generally, doesn’t make to sell).

Anyway, I mention, because we talk on here of mitochondrial dysfunction, energy metabolism, lipid peroxidation, etc., and one of the members of that forum has created a product called MitoLipin, a “fully saturated Phosphatidylcholine“ and is selling it. He seems to be a respected member of that RayPeatForum.Com, so I wonder what you all think of the product and concept?

Here, copied and pasted, some info from the page on the forum that talks about the rationale behind this product. I can’t evaluate the efficacy of the claims in a way that I suspect some of you can because I have only a general knowledge of biology and energy metabolism, so I understand the words I’m copying here, but can’t critically evaluate it. Any help appreciated! Has anyone tried MitoLipin?

Here are some quotes from Ray that also highlight the importance of CL for mitochondrial function and oxidative metabolism.
Fats, functions and malfunctions.
"...The crucial mitochondrial respiratory enzyme, cytochrome c oxidase, declines with aging (Paradies, et al., 1997), as the lipid cardiolipin declines, and the enzyme's activity can be restored to the level of young animals by adding cardiolipin. The composition of cardiolipin changes with aging, "specifically an increase in highly unsaturated fatty acids" (Lee, et al., 2006). Other lipids, such as a phosphatidylcholine containing two myristic acid groups, can support the enzyme's activity (Hoch, 1992). Even supplementing old animals with hydrogenated peanut oil restores mitochondrial respiration to about 80% of normal (Bronnikov, et al., 2010). Supplementing thyroid hormone increases mitochondrial cardiolipin (Paradies and Ruggiero, 1988). Eliminating the polyunsaturated fats from the diet increases mitochondrial respiration (Rafael, et al., 1984)."

Mitochondria and mortality
"...This fatty acid exposure "decreases glucose tolerance," and undoubtedly explains women's higher incidence of diabetes. While most fatty acids inhibit the oxidation of glucose without immediately inhibiting glycolysis, palmitic acid is unusual, in its inhibition of glycolysis and lactate production without inhibitng oxidation. I assume that this largely has to do with its important function in cardiolipin and cytochrome oxidase."

"...Fewer mitochondrial problems will be considered to be inherited, as we develop an integral view of the ways in which mitochondrial physiology is disrupted. Palmitic acid, which is a major component of the cardiolipin which regulates the main respiratory enzyme, becomes displaced by polyunsaturated fats as aging progresses. Copper tends to be lost from this same enzyme system, and the state of the water is altered as the energetic processes change."

As hinted by one of Ray's quotes above, in order to ensure the proper functioning of the enzyme cytochrome C oxidase, the cardiolipin (CL) must contain saturated fatty acids. If CL has been unsaturated by aging or another process, one way to get it saturated again is to supplement saturated cardiolipin directly. However, that process is unstable and wasteful. As Ray also mentioned, another approach would be to supplement with saturated phosphatidylcholine (PC), which bring saturated fatty acids directly into the CL and re-saturates it back to its state where it was when a person was first born. It is of key importance to note that in order for this process to work, the PC must be saturated - i.e. consist of lecithin linked to one of the saturated fatty acids, with palmitic acid being the most desired. The regular PC sold in stores is highly unsaturated and will not only lack beneficial effect but may actually be harmful.

As such, I have decided to release a supplement called MitoLipin containing saturated PC, more specifically dipalmitoylphosphatidylcholine (DPPC) and distearoylphosphatidylcholine (DSPC). Ray has responded to several people over email that if he could fund an affordable source of saturated PC he would probably supplement with it, and suggested doses in the 100mg - 300mg daily, at dinner.
Finally, I would like note that apparent ability of saturated PC to enhance topical absorption of virtually any substance dissolved in it, which is very similar to the properties of DMSO. Thus, applying the supplement (MitoLipin) topically should have excellent absorption, perhaps even better than oral. Some people have commented that PC is used as a choline supplement. Well, it can certainly have that role but in much higher doses. In the amounts present in MitoLipin, the choline is used as a carrier, not so much as a supplement on its own. While it can replace some of the choline in eggs, the goal of MitoLipin is not really to provide choline but to deliver saturated fat deep into the cell where it has trouble getting on its own. Choline carries substances very well through the cytosol and into the mitochondria. As such, quite a few drugs sold on the market use choline as carrier to increase cellular absorption.
To enhance the absorption and entry into the cell, the saturated PC is dissolved in tocopherol and MCT.
Below is the summarized information about the supplement and some scientific references in regards to its effects.

Note: This product contains raw material(s) meant for external use only, in cosmetic or other formulations designed for such external use.

MitoLipin is a dietary supplement containing fully saturated phosphatidylcholine (PC). The saturated PC supports the function and structure of the mitochondrial lipid cardiolipin (CL). The CL is crucial for the proper functioning of several of the electron transport chain complexes (III, IV, and V) responsible for oxidative phosphorylation. The composition of CL changes with aging and becomes increasingly unsaturated. Saturated PC is believed to change the composition of CL back to saturated, as it is found in humans at birth, and thus restore optimal oxidative metabolism inside the mitochondria of every cell. This product, while consisting entirely of food-grade ingredients, is sanctioned for external use only.

Servings per container: about 30
Serving size: 40 drops
Each serving contains the following ingredients:

Dipalmitoylphosphatidylcholine (DPPC) - 100mg
Distearoylphosphatidylcholine (DSPC) - 100mg

Other ingredients: MCT, tocopherol

Return to “Natural Approach”