did i mention zinc is awesome?

Discuss herbal therapies, vitamins and minerals, etc. here
jimmylegs
Volunteer Moderator

did i mention zinc is awesome?

Post by jimmylegs »

first time i have seen a study which defined hypozincemia as less than 120 µg/dL. aka 18.4 umol/l. so in other words pretty much the ENTIRETY of most reference ranges in use. LOVE. IT.

Serum Zinc Status and Its Association with Allergic Sensitization: The Fifth Korea National Health and Nutrition Examination Survey (2017)
https://www.nature.com/articles/s41598-017-13068-x

"...Upon adjusting for covariates, mean total IgE, Dermatophagoides farinae and dog-specific IgE levels increased significantly as the Zn levels decrease from the highest to the lowest quartile (p = 0.009, 0.004, and < 0.001, respectively). The multiple logistic regression analyses showed significant negative linear correlations between serum Zn levels and total, D. farinae-, cockroach-, and dog-specific IgE levels (p-value for linear trend = 0.004, 0.006, 0.027, and < 0.001, respectively). This study demonstrated that total/allergen specific IgE and Zn levels are significantly inversely related.
In our subjects, the median and 25th quartile serum Zn levels were 134.0 µg/dL and 117.0 µg/dL, respectively, so the authors defined hypozincemia as a plasma Zn level below 120 µg/dL for comparison of baseline and clinical characteristics."
active members shape site content. if there is a problem, speak up!
use the report button to flag problematic post content to volunteer moderators' attention.
jimmylegs
Volunteer Moderator

Re: did i mention zinc is awesome?

Post by jimmylegs »

Lower serum zinc levels are associated with unhealthy metabolic status in normal-weight adults: The 2010 Korea National Health and Nutrition Examination Survey (2015)
https://www.sciencedirect.com/science/a ... 361500052X

"Those in the lower serum zinc quartiles exhibited higher levels of fasting blood glucose and insulin resistance indices compared with those in the higher quartiles.

"Those categorized as [metabolically obese normal weight] MONW exhibited significantly lower serum zinc levels than the metabolically healthy and normal weight (MHNW) subjects (131.6 ± 3.0 μg/dL vs 141.7 ± 2.8 μg/dL, respectively; P = 0.0026)"

so 20.1 vs 21.7 umol/l *means*
active members shape site content. if there is a problem, speak up!
use the report button to flag problematic post content to volunteer moderators' attention.

Return to “Natural Approach”