poss links btw your symptoms and specific nutrients

Discuss herbal therapies, vitamins and minerals, etc. here
jimmylegs
Volunteer Moderator

poss links btw your symptoms and specific nutrients

Post by jimmylegs »

neat list links symptoms to nutrient issues:

Nutritional deficiencies - What signs to look for if you think you may have them
http://www.drmyhill.co.uk/wiki/Nutritio ... _have_them
excerpts:
...Symptoms are actually better indicators of nutritional deficiency than signs... the following can be pointers to deficiencies, but they do not apply in all cases.
HANDS
cold hands - magnesium deficiency, hypothyroidism, chronic fatigue with low cardiac output
NAILS
white spots - mineral deficiency but often low zinc
soft or brittle nails - magnesium deficiency
SKIN
stretch marks - zinc deficiency
MOUTH
pale fissured tongue - iron deficiency
GUMS
bleeding gums - vitamin C deficiency
EYES
cataracts - chromium deficiency or excess free radicals ...
active members shape site content. if there is a problem, speak up!
use the report button to flag problematic post content to volunteer moderators' attention.
chowder1
Family Member

Re: poss links btw your symptoms and specific nutrients

Post by chowder1 »

Neat, Jimmylegs!! Thanks!

I, of course, am deficient in Magnesium! duh
and Zinc

One thing I found interesting was a selenium deficiency. I have had cancer, my mother and my brother both have had cancer. Hmmmmm
jimmylegs
Volunteer Moderator

Post by jimmylegs »

I liked it :) thought what it said was useful, but what it doesn't say is curious.. funny looking at it with an eye to the nutrients that seem to be missing - eg, surely there are a whole raft of symptoms of vit d3 deficiency (perhaps more with the severe cases though). also interesting when you think of common symptoms that should be there.. why no mention of weakness or depression? why no connection between fatigue and iron?
perhaps TiMS readers could add a few more such lists and from there we can compile something more comprehensive.

worth checking out the selenium angle. it's lower in ms patients too.
use the report button to flag problematic post content to volunteer moderators' attention.
jimmylegs
Volunteer Moderator

Post by jimmylegs »

oh and from what I have read, contrary to what the list says, oral contraceptives can cause a DROP in zinc levels. would be interesting to investigate which type of contraceptives were used in the studies that found conflicting effects.
THX1138
Family Elder

Post by THX1138 »

Below are some regarding Magnesium:
Heart health: “Magnesium is very important for cardiac function and is essential in stabilizing cardiac membranes and preventing arrhythmias. I also think that it helps with things like angina as well.”

Bone health: “I think calcium and magnesium are both necessary; your bones certainly have a lot of magnesium and people tend to ignore that. I always recommend calcium and magnesium for osteoporosis.”

Nerves, anxiety and stress: “Magnesium relaxes the nervous system in a number of ways. Besides just relaxing the muscles, it actually is a natural blocker of a receptor in the brain called MMDA. This receptor is stimulated with calcium, actually, and it’s something that leads to over-excitation and stimulation of the brain and irritability, depression and many other things. Magnesium is a natural MMDA receptor antagonist, which helps to really calm the nervous system overall.”

Depression: “Depression and anxiety are very related and I think magnesium helps reduce the same phenomena in the brain. I would always recommend that people use a nutritional approach to depression before actually using antidepressants because mostly they don’t work well.”

ADHD: “ADHD is a hyper-irritability of the nervous system. Many of these children are very depleted in magnesium because their diets are poor—they eat high amounts of sugar. I think magnesium is a critical deficiency in kids with both ADHD and autism and it has a very calming, relaxing effect on them.”

The basic reasons go all the way down to a cellular level. “Magnesium is necessary for your cells to make energy, to stabilize cell membranes and to help your muscles relax,” Dr. Hyman says.
http://organicconnectmag.com/mark-hyman ... vP5NfldXuM