COVID nutrition research

Discuss herbal therapies, vitamins and minerals, etc. here
jimmylegs
Volunteer Moderator

Re: COVID nutrition research

Post by jimmylegs »

haven't yet seen a zip 12 covid 19 connection made in the literature ... checked the 'cited by' info for any recent mentions. nothing so far... interesting though:

The zinc transporter ZIP12 regulates the pulmonary vascular response to chronic hypoxia (2015)
https://www.nature.com/articles/nature14620

also interesting

Zinc Modulates Endothelin-1 and Nitric Oxide Signalling in Vascular Endothelial and Smooth Muscle Cells (2019)
https://www.heartlungcirc.org/article/S ... 0659-6/pdf
active members shape site content. if there is a problem, speak up!
use the report button to flag problematic post content to volunteer moderators' attention.
jimmylegs
Volunteer Moderator

Re: COVID nutrition research

Post by jimmylegs »

Relationships between hyperinsulinaemia, magnesium, vitamin D, thrombosis and COVID-19: rationale for clinical management
https://bit.ly/2UYxmFK

"positive PCR for SARS-CoV-2, median value 11.1 ng/mL versus COVID-19 negative patients, who had significantly higher 25OHD levels at 24.6 ng/mL, p=0.004."

(hopefully nobody reading here would ever be satisfied with an insufficient 24.6 ng/mL 25OHD level)

"5000 IU of vitamin D each day in order to obtain 125 nmol/L (50 ng/mL) plasma levels of 25OHD that appears to be protective against viral respiratory infection and sequalae."

(i would key in here on the difference between a supplementation regimen to obtain a desired level as opposed to a regimen to maintain that level.
based on my terrifying personal experience with long term 4000 IU, and a forum member suicide in the context of long term daily 10,000 IU, both with concurrent cofactor deficiency, i hope this article will touch on managing cofactor depletion)

"Sunlight exposure driven photo-catalyses has potential effects on other less investigated roles in human health. One is in aiding in production of cholesterol sulfate (Ch-S). The majority of Ch-S is synthesised in the epidermis and supplied to the bloodstream."

(aha, very interesting. will be reading more about that!)

"Patients implementing very low carbohydrate restriction, where compliance was confirmed by presence of capillary BHB, in a remote setting non-randomised intervention with online medical supervision, were prescribed daily supplementation doses for vitamin D3 and Mg2+ at: 1000–2000 IU vitamin D3, 500 mg magnesium oxide or 200 mg magnesium chloride.

(ime 1000-2000 IU d3 can be useless at moving the needle. especially if less than optimally nourished, overweight or obese, elderly, etc)

Other safe and likely beneficial therapies include zinc supplementation (11 mg for men and 8 mg for women, with an upper tolerable limit of 40 mg regardless of sex)98 and high-noon sensible sun exposure (sans sunscreen), especially given these therapies have been demonstrated to be safe. Given the rationale for the clinical management of COVID-19, it would be potentially of benefit for clinicians to advise patients and at-risk individuals who are at home to implement these practices, as prevention and earlier management will be more efficacious."

"Supplemental magnesium, vitamin D and zinc should be administered."

(ok overall not quite the level of detail i was after, but it will have to do for now - off to find me a sunbeam!)

active members shape site content. if there is a problem, speak up!
use the report button to flag problematic post content to volunteer moderators' attention.