Thiamine and cytokine storm/inflammation

Discuss herbal therapies, vitamins and minerals, etc. here
Anonymoose
Family Elder

Thiamine and cytokine storm/inflammation

Post by Anonymoose »

Howdy all,

The YouTube gods quite randomly gifted me w thiamine videos today. This one and the related study (also linked) might be well worth consideration for those w MS.

The video
High Dose Thiamine and Cytokine Storm by DrBeen Medical Lectures
https://youtu.be/p45Le8ST1os

Based on this study

Therapeutic Prospects for Th-17 Cell Immune Storm Syndrome and Neurological Symptoms in COVID-19: Thiamine Efficacy and Safety, In-vitro Evidence and Pharmacokinetic Profile
https://pubmed.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/32869036/

It all kind of ties the “th17 bad guy” camp and the “B cell bad guy” camps together. A while back I completed resolved some sensory issues w the suggested dose, 100mg bd.

Be well,
‘Moose (been so long I almost used my name!)

Almost forgot…other YouTube vids advised taking magnesium w thiamine and to also watch for increased demand for cofactors (b-complex, potassium, glutathione) and methylation issues (no idea).
NHE
Volunteer Moderator

Re: Thiamine and cytokine storm/inflammation

Post by NHE »

Anonymoose wrote: Mon Jun 07, 2021 5:07 pmTherapeutic Prospects for Th-17 Cell Immune Storm Syndrome and Neurological Symptoms in COVID-19: Thiamine Efficacy and Safety, In-vitro Evidence and Pharmacokinetic Profile
https://pubmed.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/32869036/
Free full text: https://www.frontiersin.org/articles/10 ... 98128/full
DIM
Family Elder

Post by DIM »

The conclusion is what, Thiamine helps in other neurological diseases caused by viral infections?
It should help then MSers when Epstein Barr, HHV-6a and HRV all affect to an extend MS progression and disability, am I wrong?
Anonymoose
Family Elder

Post by Anonymoose »

DIM wrote: Wed Jun 09, 2021 8:19 am The conclusion is what, Thiamine helps in other neurological diseases caused by viral infections?
It should help then MSers when Epstein Barr, HHV-6a and HRV all affect to an extend MS progression and disability, am I wrong?
That’s one way of looking at it. If you want to really get hypothetical, you could wonder about thiamine and the original MS insult. Wernicke’s encephalitis does appear to affect periventricular gray matter (in a much different pattern than MS but it’s there) as does MS. If you want to exclude hypothetical things like that and the viral theory, you could just focus on the impact of thiamine on th17 and B cells, both of which are suspect in the minds of the major research camps and are the targets of highly effective dmts. I guess I would conclude that thiamine might, in a safer and less potent degree, replicate some of the beneficial results of successful dmts.

If I recall correctly, allithiamine, derived from garlic, penetrates the CNS better than the usual thiamine supplements. It can give you garlicky burps though. :D So, if you really want to take thiamine for a test drive for MS, maybe allithiamine is the way to go.

I dunno. It’s something safe and inexpensive to try.

Be well,
‘Moose
DIM
Family Elder

Post by DIM »

Anonymoose wrote: Wed Jun 09, 2021 12:06 pm If I recall correctly, allithiamine, derived from garlic, penetrates the CNS better than the usual thiamine supplements. It can give you garlicky burps though. :D So, if you really want to take thiamine for a test drive for MS, maybe allithiamine is the way to go.

Be well,
‘Moose
Exactly my thought about thiamine supplementation, benfotiamine is also more absorbable than thiamine but I am not sure it works the same way!
DIM
Family Elder

Post by DIM »

By the way some synthetic analogues of allithiamine as TTFD should be avoided:
https://www.semanticscholar.org/paper/I ... c13fc?p2df
DIM
Family Elder

Post by DIM »

Anonymoose wrote: Wed Jun 09, 2021 12:06 pm
DIM wrote: Wed Jun 09, 2021 8:19 am The conclusion is what, Thiamine helps in other neurological diseases caused by viral infections?
That’s one way of looking at it. If you want to really get hypothetical, you could wonder about thiamine and the original MS insult. Wernicke’s encephalitis does appear to affect periventricular gray matter (in a much different pattern than MS but it’s there) as does MS. If you want to exclude hypothetical things like that and the viral theory, you could just focus on the impact of thiamine on th17 and B cells, both of which are suspect in the minds of the major research camps and are the targets of highly effective dmts. I guess I would conclude that thiamine might, in a safer and less potent degree, replicate some of the beneficial results of successful dmts.

If I recall correctly, allithiamine, derived from garlic, penetrates the CNS better than the usual thiamine supplements. It can give you garlicky burps though. :D So, if you really want to take thiamine for a test drive for MS, maybe allithiamine is the way to go.

Be well,
‘Moose
You are right, although Benfotiamine is more absorbable it doesn't penetrate BBB and works only in peripheral nerves while allithiamine which is also more bioavailable than thiamine passes BBB and works where it should.
https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC2435522/
I wonder those that follow Dr Klenner protocol what form thiamine use, except injectable of course, I have heard some of them take sublingual B1 but I don't know which one exactly