Vitamin K2 inhibits cognitive decline from gut dysbiosis

Discuss herbal therapies, vitamins and minerals, etc. here
NHE
Volunteer Moderator

Vitamin K2 inhibits cognitive decline from gut dysbiosis

Post by NHE »

Neuroprotective effect of Vitamin K2 against gut dysbiosis associated cognitive decline
Physiol Behav. 2023 Oct 1;269:114252.

Vitamin K2/ Menaquinones produced predominantly by the gut microbiome improve bone health and prevent coronary calcification. The central nervous system has been linked with gut microbiota via the gut-brain axis and is strongly associated with psychiatric conditions. In the present study, we show the role of Vitamin K2 (MK-7) in gut dysbiosis-associated cognitive decline. Gut dysbiosis was induced in mice by administering Ampicillin (250 mg/kg twice a day orally) for 14 days and Vitamin K2 (0.05 mg/kg) for 21 days with or without antibiotic treatment and altered gene expression profile of intestinal microbes determined. This was followed by behavioural studies to determine cognitive changes. The behavioural observations are then correlated with proinflammatory, oxidative, and brain and intestinal histopathological changes in antibiotic-treated animals with or without vitamin K2 administration. With the use of antibiotics, Lactobacillus, Bifidobacterium, Firmicutes, and Clostridium's relative abundance reduced. When vitamin K2 was added to the medication, their levels were restored. Cognitive impairment was observed in behavioural trials in the antibiotic group, but this drop was restored in mice given both an antibiotic and vitamin K. Myeloperoxidase levels in the colon and brain increased due to gut dysbiosis, which vitamin K2 prevented. The acetylcholine esterase and oxidative stress markers brought on by antibiotics were also decreased by vitamin K2. Additionally, vitamin K2 guarded against alterations in intestine ultrastructure brought on by antibiotic use and preserved hippocampus neurons. So, it can be concluded that vitamin K2 improved cognitive skills, avoided hippocampus neuronal damage from antibiotics, and lowered intestine and brain inflammation and oxidative stress.
ElliotB
Family Elder

Re: Vitamin K2 inhibits cognitive decline from gut dysbiosis

Post by ElliotB »

Vitamin K2 is such an important vitamin, yet the vast majority of people are deficient in it, actually almost everybody.

K2 is very important for general health and extremely important for heart health,

Vitamin K2's most important function is in guiding calcium away from our arteries and into our bones where it belongs. It also helps protect us from potential Vitamin D toxicity. This is significant because many of us with MS have made the decision to take high doses of Vitamin D. Most people are deficient in vitamin D. I live in Florida where there is plenty of sunshine, yet years ago I discovered I had low vitamin D. I am guessing I have been low my entire life.

With regard to heart health, the absorption of vitamin D, whether from supplementation or from the sun, increases the production of calcium in your body. Calcium needs Vitamin K2 to tell it where to go or it can end up in your arteries, too much calcium could cause serious ramifications as it creates a blockage and blood can no longer circulate which can of often does result in heart failure.

K2 can also help lower cholesterol levels.

For those of us with MS, another important benefit is that K2 improves blood circulation and aids in immune system function. Two great reasons alone for taking it. I can also enhance bone health.
NHE
Volunteer Moderator

Post by NHE »

ElliotB wrote: Thu Aug 24, 2023 2:42 am Calcium needs Vitamin K2 to tell it where to go or it can end up in your arteries, too much calcium could cause serious ramifications as it creates a blockage and blood can no longer circulate which can of often does result in heart failure.
Vascular calcification can occur in any artery or vein. If it occurs in one of the carotid arteries, then it can deprive the brain of oxygen causing brain damage and contribute to atrophy.
ElliotB
Family Elder

Post by ElliotB »

I was not aware of that. Thanks for posting the information.

In my opinion, good health isn't an accident. Some get lucky and don't have to do much. For others, like me, it takes a lot of research and planning - proper diet, the right supplements and exercise AND a little bit of luck are all necessary. And finding little gems like Vitamin K2 can be extremely helpful.

My health has actually improved in many ways because of having MS because I am extremely careful with what I eat and take a wide variety of supplements. And as crazy as it sounds, there is no consensus as to which diet is best, especially for someone with MS, and which supplements to take. FWIW, the diet I am on is not thought of favorably by most. And yes, I am on an extremely high good fat diet with minimal veggies. Yet after almost 10 years, my health is excellent and still improving.