minocycline

A forum for the discussion of antibiotics as a potential therapy for MS
Arron
Volunteer Moderator

Post by Arron »

Perfect, thanks! Looks like you had not logged in prior to posting that message, so it showed you as "guest" :)
lottydotty
Family Member

Post by lottydotty »

I take minocicline and guess what............ my lesions have finaly calmed down for the first time in at least 2 1/2 years. Do have 3 new ones though.
I got it prescribed by my general Dr. for acne due to prednisone. So was it the prednisone ( 1200mg ) once a month or the Beteseron or possibly the minocicline? Nobody knows! So I stopped the Bete and stayed with the mino. No side effects and I feel like a human again! Neuro disagrees but whatever. He has me diagnosed as " Severe MS ". What exactly does that mean? Progression? I have MS, SO WHAT! That's my opinion. It's important for me to be a mom and wife. I can do that with the antibiotic, but with the inter-FEER- ons and steroids I'm a basket case!
MS is the gift that keeps on giving.
bruintje

to Arron

Post by bruintje »

Thanks for pointing that out! I was not aware that I should log in first :oops:

To lottydotty : great and I hope the mino will do very well for you.

As far as my partner is concerned, no big change yet - only he is getting a bit worse, but that doesn't mean there is a cause and effect - and he is only taking mino for about 10 days. We both found the results we read too encouraging for not to try it - and if it does not work for his case (PPMS) - oh well, at least we tried. :?
Arron
Volunteer Moderator

Post by Arron »

check out the front page for a new story on antibiotics without antibiotic activity being researched for MS-- suggesting that the antibiotic activity has less to do with the beneficial effect than an as-yet-unidentified neuroprotective component in the compound. cool stuff...
OddDuck
Contributing Author

Post by OddDuck »

That's correct. Remember in my original research narrative and in many subsequent posts how I mentioned caspase 3 and how the major beneficial action of minocycline on MS was by inhibiting caspase 3 activation, and not really acting directly as an anti-bacterial, per se? If you interfere with caspase 3 activation and its subsequent complex effects on mitochondria, thereby increasing mitochondria's resistence to damaging effects, etc., and inhibiting apoptosis (i.e. neuroprotection); you therefore can help MS.

Therefore, if they can create a drug now that has as its main action be manipulation of caspase 3 processes in some way or another, then you may have adjunctive drug treatment for MS. Which is what I dare say they apparently are now doing.

Since I've been saying this for months, I won't expound any farther and waste anyone's time. It's pretty complex anyway, but that's the bottom line. Caspase 3.

Interesting article, Arron! Glad you posted it. I rest my case. :wink: ROFL

Deb

EDIT: Oops, I have to correct myself. It wasn't mentioned in my original narrative. I had posted shortly thereafter the caspase 3 connection and my research on it. Sorry.

Return to “Antibiotics”