Antibiotics for treating ms in Australia -- New Member

A forum for the discussion of antibiotics as a potential therapy for MS
SarahLonglands
Family Elder

Re: Antibiotics for treating ms in Australia -- New Member

Post by SarahLonglands »

Mick. all I can say is that the two antibiotics Trish is taking are not generally speaking dangerous to the liver. If she has raised liver enzymes that sees likely to be die-off symptoms. If she is taking plenty of NAC and alpha lipoic acid that should help with liver problems.

If the doctor thinks she should pause, take plenty of these and have her tested again.

Sarah
An Itinerary in Light and Shadow Completed Dr Charles Stratton / Dr David Wheldon abx regime for aggressive secondary progressive MS in June 2007, after four years. Still improving with no relapses since starting. Can't run but can paint all day.
jimmy6
Family Member

Post by jimmy6 »

Anecdote wrote:Mick. all I can say is that the two antibiotics Trish is taking are not generally speaking dangerous to the liver. If she has raised liver enzymes that sees likely to be die-off symptoms. If she is taking plenty of NAC and alpha lipoic acid that should help with liver problems.

If the doctor thinks she should pause, take plenty of these and have her tested again.

Sarah
Hi Sarah Thanks for the information and she has already had a pause first for two days but went into big relapse could not even hold her head up . I added the doxycycline 100mg and within 2hrs Tricia was back in the land of the living, it scared me that relapse, that was two days ago and i have continue to give her 100mg doxycycline every 12hrs and she has regained her speech and some of the strength in her arms and hands, everything is coming back but will not added theroxithromycin till after blood test today and Dr tomorrow. One nasty side effect, Tricia has broken out in a itchy rash all over her which we are controlling with a Antihistamne. So Sarah thats were are and i will keep you posted Tricia & Mick
jimmy6
Family Member

Post by jimmy6 »

jimmy6 wrote:
Anecdote wrote:Mick. all I can say is that the two antibiotics Trish is taking are not generally speaking dangerous to the liver. If she has raised liver enzymes that sees likely to be die-off symptoms. If she is taking plenty of NAC and alpha lipoic acid that should help with liver problems.

Sarah
Hi Sarah Thanks for the information and she has already had a pause first for two days but went into big relapse could not even hold her head up . I added the doxycycline 100mg and within 2hrs Tricia was back in the land of the living, it scared me that relapse, that was two days ago and i have continue to give her 100mg doxycycline every 12hrs and she has regained her speech and some of the strength in her arms and hands, everything is coming back but will not added theroxithromycin till after blood test today and Dr tomorrow. One nasty side effect, Tricia has broken out in a itchy rash all over her which we are controlling with a Antihistamne. So Sarah thats were are and i will keep you posted Tricia & Mick
Hi Sarah Mick & Tricia here Tricia has had a pause from theroxithromycin but not doxycyline which makes her life better in regards to speech, swallowing,arm movement and her general demeanor .Will start theroxithromycin on monday . Tricia problems stem from dehydration from her bowel flush system which is called a M.A.C.E. Her haemoglobin is low 113 but i think that might be because of the dehydration which i have now figured out has been going on for 6mths Anyway Sarah i keep you posted Mick
SarahLonglands
Family Elder

Post by SarahLonglands »

Mick, I am intrigued as to what you mean by Trish's general demeanour. Someone else over here is writing the same thing about his wife!

Dehydration is a problem with MS. The best thing I found in my bad days was to drink a small amount of glucose water very reguarly. Consequently although I am only as my name suggests, an anecdote, I have never had a uti either before or after treatment.

Sarah
An Itinerary in Light and Shadow Completed Dr Charles Stratton / Dr David Wheldon abx regime for aggressive secondary progressive MS in June 2007, after four years. Still improving with no relapses since starting. Can't run but can paint all day.
jimmy6
Family Member

Post by jimmy6 »

Anecdote wrote:Mick, I am intrigued as to what you mean by Trish's general demeanour. Someone else over here is writing the same thing about his wife!

Dehydration is a problem with MS. The best thing I found in my bad days was to drink a small amount of glucose water very reguarly. Consequently although I am only as my name suggests, an anecdote, I have never had a uti either before or after treatment.

Sarah
Hi Sarah what i mean by Tricias demeanour is that she is not as cranky,and has stopped shouting out orders. She got so bad that i was afraid that the carers were going to quit but now that infection is gone and she is drinking plenty of water and she is taking her doxithcycline every 12hrs she is a lot better to be around. Her fatigue is a lot lot better and she can stay up and do things.Anyway Sarah i will keep you posted and next week Tricia will go back on roxith . Mick & Tticia
SarahLonglands
Family Elder

Post by SarahLonglands »

Ah, crankiness is very common in the case of people with bad MS. I was cranky myself for a time and someone who was a nursing home carer for a while said the same thing about residents with MS. Get rid of the infection and it goes: I can't believe some of the things I used to say! 8O

Sarah
jimmy6
Family Member

Post by jimmy6 »

Anecdote wrote:Ah, crankiness is very common in the case of people with bad MS. I was cranky myself for a time and someone who was a nursing home carer for a while said the same thing about residents with MS. Get rid of the infection and it goes: I can't believe some of the things I used to say! 8O

Sarah
Hi Sarah. Merry Christmas from Mick & Tricia. Tricia is back on two antibiotics and will add the third early in the the new year. Her blood has returned to normal . Our Dr now ordering blood tests every three weeks and they come to the house to do it. Anyway Sarah Tricia is much improved from 4wks ago. Talk to you in new year. Mick & Tricia
Katman
Family Elder

Post by Katman »

Hope this is not a private conversation - i just have to add to Sarah's remark about crankiness, grouchiness, tantrums, throwing things, and maybe attacking a barn wall with a whisk broom. All true, but, as she also says - it goes away (in time!)

Rica
2010 5 years 4 months Now on Amoxicillin, Doxy, Rifampin, Azith, and caffeine in addition to  flagyl. 90% normal good days-50% normal bad days. That is a good thing.
SarahLonglands
Family Elder

Post by SarahLonglands »

I'm having a bit of trouble visualising you attacking a barn wall with a whisk broom, partly because I'm not sure what a whisk broom is! I'm guessing that it is a flattened out version of a witches' broom?

My most dangerous thing that I did when I was MS nuts, was stand a litre of matt varnish on the top of my lit woodburner in order to clear it. Luckily David came in before it ignited and I got annoyed with him because I thought it was a safe thing to do!

Off for Christmas diner now because we had a big power cut yesterday.

Sarah
jimmy6
Family Member

Post by jimmy6 »

Anecdote wrote:I'm having a bit of trouble visualising you attacking a barn wall with a whisk broom, partly because I'm not sure what a whisk broom is! I'm guessing that it is a flattened out version of a witches' broom?

My most dangerous thing that I did when I was MS nuts, was stand a litre of matt varnish on the top of my lit woodburner in order to clear it. Luckily David came in before it ignited and I got annoyed with him because I thought it was a safe thing to do!

Off for Christmas diner now because we had a big power cut yesterday.

Sarah
Hi Sarah Mick&Tricia .Tricia has completed her first 7 days on metronidazole with no problems. Her strength in her left arm is strong but her right arm not so good, speech good but will get weak at times, slurring gone. Eyes have nearly stopped flicking, so things are starting to improve slowly. Will keep you posted. Mick
SarahLonglands
Family Elder

Post by SarahLonglands »

Seven days? That’s more than I ever did!
Trish’s improvements seem very realistic and so hopefully should last. You will find that some days or periods are worse than this, though, so try not to get worried.
Sarah
jimmy6
Family Member

Post by jimmy6 »

hi Sarah Tricia has completed her second pluse without any problems. She is about the same but she seems to be getting stronger by that i mean not as tired during the day. Anyway Sarah i will keep you informed after each pluse. Mick & Tricia
SarahLonglands
Family Elder

Post by SarahLonglands »

Being not as tired during the day is a good start!

Sarah :wink:
jimmy6
Family Member

Post by jimmy6 »

Anecdote wrote:Being not as tired during the day is a good start!

Sarah :wink:
Hi Sarah Mick & Tricia here, started 3rd pluse three days ago but on second day Tricia lost her voice and became very week and tired. So stopped Metronidazole on third day but continued with doxycycline and roxithromycin. Will try with pluse in another 3wks after vist Dr and a blood test. Any thoughts you and David might have on this would be welcome. Mick & Tricia.
CureOrBust
Family Elder

Post by CureOrBust »

Metronidazole neurotoxicity: sequential neuroaxis involvement.
Neurological manifestation of metronidazole toxicity include neuropathy and encephalopathy. We report a 67-year-old man with progressive painful paresthesias involving all the four limbs of 3 weeks' duration before admission. He had been treated with metronidazole and cephalosporin for 10 weeks for a hepatic abscess. Five weeks after the symptom onset, he complained of dysarthria and limb ataxia. Magnetic resonance imaging revealed signal abnormalities in the splenium of the corpus callosum and bilateral dentate nuclei. A few hours after brain imaging, the patient exhibited excessive diaphoresis and fluctuation in blood pressure, which resolved within several hours after discontinuation of metronidazole. Whereas his speech returned to near normal within approximately 1 week, a burning sensation was not completely relieved, even 6 months after discharge.
Search for yourself in Google, but don't forget that the internet is a big place, and your bound to find what you are explicitly looking for. Even aliens :mrgreen: . ie pinch of salt.