Fluoroquinolones can cause neurological side effects

A forum for the discussion of antibiotics as a potential therapy for MS
NHE
Volunteer Moderator

Fluoroquinolones can cause neurological side effects

Post by NHE »

Here's an interesting article from the People's Pharmacy that discusses fluoroquinolone antibiotics which can cause MS like neurological side effects.
http://www.peoplespharmacy.com/2014/05/ ... -intrigue/

These antibiotics include...

• Ciprofloxacin (Cipro)
• Gemifloxacin (Factive)
• Levofloxacin (Levaquin)
• Moxifloxacin (Avelox)
• Norfloxacin (Noroxin)
• Ofloxacin (Floxin)
SarahLonglands
Family Elder

Re: Fluoroquinolones can cause neurological side effects

Post by SarahLonglands »

This is one reason why they aren't included in either the Vanderbilt or the Wheldon protocol........Sarah
An Itinerary in Light and Shadow Completed Dr Charles Stratton / Dr David Wheldon abx regime for aggressive secondary progressive MS in June 2007, after four years. Still improving with no relapses since starting. Can't run but can paint all day.
NHE
Volunteer Moderator

Post by NHE »

Last month I was prescribed a four day course of Levaquin. I'm caught between feeling like I dodged a bullet and that I'm waiting for the hammer to drop.
SarahLonglands
Family Elder

Post by SarahLonglands »

I hope the hammer hasn't dropped yet!

Good job it was only a four day course, so your tendons should be OK:http://www.side-effects-site.com/quinol ... otics.html
This is why, although it might work against Cpn, it isn't used for the long term treatment needed with CAP.

Sarah
An Itinerary in Light and Shadow Completed Dr Charles Stratton / Dr David Wheldon abx regime for aggressive secondary progressive MS in June 2007, after four years. Still improving with no relapses since starting. Can't run but can paint all day.
NHE
Volunteer Moderator

Post by NHE »

Looking at the prescribing information, I don't know why people would take this. It's now on my list of medications to avoid.

http://www.levaquin.com/sites/default/f ... f#zoom=100

Moreover, my experience illustrates that doctors may not always read all of the fine print even if it's in the FDA's "black box." My last dose of levaquin coincided with the beginning of a three day course of solumedrol. 8O
SarahLonglands
Family Elder

Post by SarahLonglands »

I am sure that you are right there! To start with antibiotics are still given by some doctors for a bad cold of 'flu: a viral disease for which there is no real treatment, just, I think, to make the patient feel that they are doing something.

Whereas, before I got a whole lot better with CAP for MS, I had only been given abx twice: once when I was too young to have any say in the matter, for scarlet fever, then once again when in my twenties, for an infected insect bite.

I think I must have hit upon sensible doctors!
blossom
Family Elder

Post by blossom »

I did not know this and how serious. with bladder infections a big part we are sitting ducks. either my primary dr is unaware or doesn't care or both because more than 1 OF THESE he has put me on.

was wondering-the drugs "antibiotics" used in our meat, milk and egg supply could be doing the same thing to people in a round about way.
SarahLonglands
Family Elder

Post by SarahLonglands »

Hi Blossom, I think they might well, which is why I never buy meat unless it is organically grown and so not fed antibiotics to make it grow faster. More expensive, yes, but the answer is to just eat less................Sarah
NHE
Volunteer Moderator

Post by NHE »

The People's Pharmacy discuss the potentially debilitating side effects of Cipro.

Devastating and Surprising Side Effects of Ciprofloxacin – Cipro

Antibiotics like ciprofloxacin (Cipro) and levofloxacin (Levaquin) can cause unexpected side effects: tendon rupture, nerve damage and hallucinations.

http://www.peoplespharmacy.com/2015/07/ ... cin-cipro/
SarahLonglands
Family Elder

Post by SarahLonglands »

I knew about the tendon damage but not everything else. It is a good job that none of these antibiotics are part of the CAP protocol.
Sarah
NHE
Volunteer Moderator

Post by NHE »

Here's another potential "side effect" of Levaquin, aortic dissection and aortic aneurysm.

http://archinte.jamanetwork.com/article ... id=2451282
SarahLonglands
Family Elder

Post by SarahLonglands »

What do most people take Levaquin for? There is surely an alternative. Sarah
lyndacarol
Family Elder

Post by lyndacarol »

SarahLonglands wrote:What do most people take Levaquin for? There is surely an alternative. Sarah
My brother-in-law was given Levaquin in the hospital after surgery when he acquired an infection.
SarahLonglands
Family Elder

Post by SarahLonglands »

Well, there are plenty of broad based abx he could have been given instead: I hope he wasn't damaged by it.
NHE
Volunteer Moderator

Post by NHE »

A new warning on the use of fluoroquinolones was just issued by the FDA.

http://www.fda.gov/Drugs/DrugSafety/ucm500143.htm
  • The U.S. Food and Drug Administration is advising that the serious side effects associated with fluoroquinolone antibacterial drugs generally outweigh the benefits for patients with sinusitis, bronchitis, and uncomplicated urinary tract infections who have other treatment options. For patients with these conditions, fluoroquinolone should be reserved for those who do not have alternative treatment options.

An FDA safety review has shown that fluoroquinolones when used systemically (i.e. tablets, capsules, and injectable) are associated with disabling and potentially permanent serious side effects that can occur together. These side effects can involve the tendons, muscles, joints, nerves, and central nervous system.