Minocycline

A forum for the discussion of antibiotics as a potential therapy for MS
SarahLonglands
Family Elder

Re: Minocycline

Post by SarahLonglands »

That is right about kefir. When I was taking abx I took both live yogurt, kefir and acidophilus tablets, just to make sure!

Sarah
An Itinerary in Light and Shadow Completed Dr Charles Stratton / Dr David Wheldon abx regime for aggressive secondary progressive MS in June 2007, after four years. Still improving with no relapses since starting. Can't run but can paint all day.
DavidR
Family Member

Re: Minocycline

Post by DavidR »

Dr. LuAnn Metz is a professor of Neurology at the University of Calgary. Several years ago she received a grant from the MS Society of Canada to determine whether Minocycline is effective in delaying progression to MS for someone with a first indication of MS, i.e. clinical symptoms combined with positive findings on MRI of spine or brain.

The study evaluated approximately 200 patients and followed them for two years. Approximately half were given Minocycline and half were given a placebo. It was a controlled randomized study. The results of the study were recently published and showed that Minocycline group had a significantly better outcome than the placebo group, i.e. fewer people receiving Minocycline had a relapse or became definite MS patients than the people in the placebo group. Essentially, Minocycline proved as or more effective than the standard disease modifying drugs over a two year period. The cost of the Minocycline, however, can be as much as 95% less, and it has fewer side effects and risks.

Here is a link to a report of the study presentation at the Congress of the European Committee for Treatment and Research in Multiple Sclerosis (ECTRIMS) 2015: http://www.medscape.com/viewarticle/852565. (It you don't want to do the login, you can Google search "Minocycline, MS, Dosage" and you will see the same link but without the login requirement.) I don't know what journal the study was published in, but I am sure you can find it.

At a minimum, this study suggests that anyone with early MS should discuss Minocycline with their neurologist as a possible first treatment before starting the more expensive and risky standard MS drugs.

Return to “Antibiotics”