ABX Log

A forum for the discussion of antibiotics as a potential therapy for MS
SarahLonglands
Family Elder

Post by SarahLonglands »

Yes, I know that without asking!
An Itinerary in Light and Shadow Completed Dr Charles Stratton / Dr David Wheldon abx regime for aggressive secondary progressive MS in June 2007, after four years. Still improving with no relapses since starting. Can't run but can paint all day.
SarahLonglands
Family Elder

Post by SarahLonglands »

If you were negative, I was only 1:64, nearly negative for all accounts and this was three weeks after I started on abx when my antibodies should have registered higher. Cpn is very hard to find, especially when it is in intracellular mode: the word derives from the Greek χλαμύδος, meaning cloak.

I knew I was on the right track, though, because I could feel something happening within just a few hours. I then spent the next couple of weeks in a kind of delirious haze. When I came round, I didn't slur my speech anymore and I could think clearly.

Sarah
An Itinerary in Light and Shadow Completed Dr Charles Stratton / Dr David Wheldon abx regime for aggressive secondary progressive MS in June 2007, after four years. Still improving with no relapses since starting. Can't run but can paint all day.
LR1234
Family Elder

Post by LR1234 »

On the advice of my dr, I stayed off all the meds (except LDN as I am on such a low dose) anyway my liver enzymes are returning to normal so I am keen to start on my abx again.

Sarah, as I am trying to keep my liver enzymes on track can I do 200mg doxy each day on days where are don't have azithromycin but on the azithromycin days just do the one doxy with it? Will that cause any bacterial resistance problems?

I have noticed a lot of improvements since starting the abx so I hope my body is able to tolerate them.
SarahLonglands
Family Elder

Post by SarahLonglands »

It is quite hard to get doxycycline to show resistance, unlike, say, rifampicin, so to do what you suggest should be fine. Less than 50 mg a day is subclinical, so should be avoided, but also taking the second antibiotic guards against resistance in any case.

Best of luck!

Sarah
SarahLonglands
Family Elder

Post by SarahLonglands »

I don't really know what LDN does or doesn't do, but copaxone doesn't seem to damage the liver, so abx and copaxone seems a wise choice. Several people on the abx protocol are or were on copaxone at the same time.

Sarah
SarahLonglands
Family Elder

Post by SarahLonglands »

Good luck! 8)
notasperfectasyou
Family Elder

Post by notasperfectasyou »

Kim was on Copaxone and ABX at the same time. You get bee sting? It's my understanding that the NAC is helpful for liver issues. You might want to check on that. Ken
It would be really nice to be able to put links in here

If I have included a bad link, google the word "Scholar", click link for "Google Scholar". Search for the name of the paper and author in Google Scholar.
notasperfectasyou
Family Elder

I might be wrong about this, but I think curcumin is supposed to help with liver too. you might check that. NAC is great. I know Kim is on the high side, but interestingly enough, Kim was on high dose NAC long before we even heard of abx. Outside of that, admittedly, I don't know much about the liver. Ken

If I have included a bad link, google the word "Scholar", click link for "Google Scholar". Search for the name of the paper and author in Google Scholar.
agatha
Family Member

Post by agatha »

Hello, I've just read your whole blog at one sitting - you have had a very worrying few months by the sounds of it but I'm glad you're feeling better now. I have started the Wheldon protocol a few weeks ago and have had a rollercoaster of feeing both better and worse. Keep us posted on how you get on now you've added the doxy back in.
Agatha
LR1234
Family Elder

Post by LR1234 »

Took 1mg of LDN tonight.....felt so sick, thought I was gonna vom. Didn't though. I remember having this reaction last time
SarahLonglands
Family Elder

Post by SarahLonglands »

You would have to ask David if he would be willing to see you to prescribe rifampicin because he hasn't done so for about four years. British doctors are wary of doing so because it is a front line treatment for tuberculosis and resistance is on the rise.

You might feel instantly better taking azithromycin, but you won't by taking rifampicin because it has absolutely no immunomodulatory powers. It made my walking instantly worse for while!

Tinidazole is a different matter, though.

Sarah
notasperfectasyou
Family Elder

Sorry to hear you're experiencing what sounds like CAP side-effects. Have you been taking charcoal and/or chewing Glucose tablets? Those really help Kim when she's having the stomach issues. We also bump up her ascorbic acid intake, which sounds counter-intuitive.
Ken

ps. Sarah, your post makes it sound like Rifampin is being taken out of the protocol. I'm not sure if I missed something, maybe I didn't, but I thought I should check.

SarahLonglands
Family Elder

Post by SarahLonglands »

What sort of eye issues? There are many sorts but a lot are due to die-off. Sometimes I found that just bathing my eyes in optrex was enough because the build up was all on the surface.

Ken rifampicin is not being taken out of the Vanderbilt protocol, but David has always been wary of prescribing it here because of UK medical mores. Its more important that he keeps his license to practice.

Sarah
SarahLonglands
Family Elder

Post by SarahLonglands »

Oh, I know what you mean about feeling as though you are on a boat. Don't worry, that should go.

I was and am a bit paranoid about my eyes and every little thing, I thought I was going blind! Once, I was in the Natural History Museum, looking in one of their optical things. You could see little dots and if they were going up you were short sighted or down, longsighted, or the other way around. The faster they went the worse your vision was. I thought they were racing up so fast that I must surely be going blind. In fact my shortsightedness was so minor that the optician couldn't cut a lens for it and it is still like that.

Your sensation should come back as well, after the setback.

Sarah
notasperfectasyou
Family Elder

I'm really sorry to hear this.

Get some glucose chewables. Most pharmacies have them right at the counter. Chew up like 3 of them after you take the abx. TUMS also seem to help Kim with this.

If you are a sushi eater (this will sound crazy), but the sushi wrapper dried seaweed helps with this alot too. you can eat it plain, right out of the bag. Ken

Return to “Antibiotics”