Antibiotics "could help slow MS" according to the

A forum for the discussion of antibiotics as a potential therapy for MS
SarahLonglands
Family Elder

Antibiotics "could help slow MS" according to the

Post by SarahLonglands »

Well, its a start I suppose: http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/health/7136088.stm

"Antibioticsi are cheap and easil available, which could make them an attractive treatment for MSi if they were shown to be beneficial" - Dr Laura Bell, MS Society

Adding antibiotics to standard drug therapy may slow down the progress of multiple sclerosis, research suggests.

Patients showed fewer symptoms and fewer signs of tissue damage when they took the antibiotic doxycycline alongside the MS drug beta interferon.

Louisiana State University researchers believe the antibiotic may block the action of enzyme that destroy certain cells in the nervous system.

Archives of Neurology reports the study involving 15 patients on its website..........................

As important as the trial is the fact that the MS Society, presumably the British one, is waking up.............Sarah
An Itinerary in Light and Shadow Completed Dr Charles Stratton / Dr David Wheldon abx regime for aggressive secondary progressive MS in June 2007, after four years. Still improving with no relapses since starting. Can't run but can paint all day.
whyRwehere
Family Elder

Post by whyRwehere »

Thanks for the link Sarah, usually I never miss those stories...I must have had a busy day. Too bad they still insist on "combined therapy". Did they try it with just the doxy? Maybe the results would have been the same, huh??
EDITED to add: That story is from 2007 and I didn't miss it the first time!
By the way, I'm tired of that same picture for every MS story...don't they know anyone else with MS?
SarahLonglands
Family Elder

Post by SarahLonglands »

It just shows how long it takes certain things to sink in with some people! They aren't even thinking of its purpose as an antibiotic and I guess wouldn't consider its use without a betaferon.

I am also heartily sick of seeing that picture, time and time again. There is also one of a frail old lady who keeps appearing in all manner of stories.

Sarah
Last edited by SarahLonglands on Tue Nov 10, 2009 10:10 am, edited 1 time in total.
An Itinerary in Light and Shadow Completed Dr Charles Stratton / Dr David Wheldon abx regime for aggressive secondary progressive MS in June 2007, after four years. Still improving with no relapses since starting. Can't run but can paint all day.
agatha
Family Member

Post by agatha »

At least Cpn got a mention here too.
SarahLonglands
Family Elder

Post by SarahLonglands »

True, which makes a change from me mentioning it on the MS Society site and getting it edited out. So I don't go there anymore.

I saw another thing on the BBC today which I'm not even going to think about: Cassandra Munger launching out from her good work has decided that people who were obese as teenagers are more likely to develop MS. And pigs might fly.

Sarah
notasperfectasyou
Family Elder

A link

Post by notasperfectasyou »

This might be relevant to your comment above:

Simpson, Lisa et al. 1995 Temperate Swine Measures Dependent on Elevation: A role for malus domestica with porcus
It would be really nice to be able to put links in here

If I have included a bad link, google the word "Scholar", click link for "Google Scholar". Search for the name of the paper and author in Google Scholar.
SarahLonglands
Family Elder

Post by SarahLonglands »

Dash it, we can't see it yet in the UK! :lol:
notasperfectasyou
Family Elder

BBC censorship? What is Dash it?

If I have included a bad link, google the word "Scholar", click link for "Google Scholar". Search for the name of the paper and author in Google Scholar.
SarahLonglands
Family Elder

Post by SarahLonglands »

No, actually its HULU, not the BBC. When I tried to open the link, the message came up saying:
We're sorry, currently our video library can only be streamed within the United States................
It'll come up on the Simpson's on channel 4 in due course.

Dash it just sounds a bit more polite than damn it! I often use worse.

Sarah
notasperfectasyou
Family Elder

I really put some time into that. I feel like I told the joke and forgot the punch line.

http://vids.myspace.com/index.cfm?fusea ... d=34158635

Did that work?

SarahLonglands
Family Elder

Post by SarahLonglands »

Nope: "The requested video cannot be shown in your region."

Never mind, if anyone else happens along they can watch it.

I know someone here who one of us told the joke, he repeats it endlessly to us and others, but got the punchline completely wrong the first time!

Sarah
Sharon
Family Elder

Post by Sharon »

Sarah wrote:
Cassandra Munger launching out from her good work has decided that people who were obese as teenagers are more likely to develop MS
Yes, I saw the article also -- actually, had two people who emailed it to me. That article was a real "head shaker" - sure hope there was not much money spent on the research!

Sharon
Filmmaker
Family Elder

Post by Filmmaker »

I just don't get how these stubborn researchers keep denying the cpn parameter in MS. Obviously several researches have shown interesting results with antibiotics, also with lisinopril... isn't that enough, knowing that cpn is involved in hypertension or cardiac problems (which realte to CCSVI, except that it affects the veins instead)... It all matches, so what else do they need? I also can't figure out why doctors who have studied for so long, practiced for so long, seem to have a very hard time finding what I have found in few months of reading researching... maybe doctors should first become sick of any disease they want to treat so that they will have no choice other than having a good faith first... Just like psychiatrists have first to go through an analysis themselves...
I think that would be fair enough:-)
Filmmaker
Family Elder

Post by Filmmaker »

Just another thing that came to my mind. Before I was diagnosed with ms, few years ago, doctors used to say I had spasmophilia... Interestingly enough, many people who started with spasmophilia ended up having MS... Knowing that Spasmophilia manifests itself with what is called anxiety, hyperventilation, and tremors... I think it would be interesting to see if CAP would help with this condition, which I am sure it would!...
SarahLonglands
Family Elder

Post by SarahLonglands »

Spasmophilia is a condition rather than a disease and can be caused by many things, but if someone is experiencing MS symptoms, they are very likely to have a panic attack and it might seem for no reason.

Sarah