Lyme is a maybe! Doxy question

A forum for the discussion of antibiotics as a potential therapy for MS
Just_Me
Family Member

Lyme is a maybe! Doxy question

Post by Just_Me »

Partial positive on my Lyme test...but those are what also come up with positive EBV so my doctor is skeptical but willing to try me on Doxy.

Question 1: Is 100mg twice/day effective or should it be higher dose? (I am a 165 lb adult woman)

Question 2: How long before I get a Herx reaction (if its going to happen)?
SarahLonglands
Family Elder

Post by SarahLonglands »

The dose is fine, at least for Cpn: some lyme docs would recommend more, but I don't know how much.

reacted within a few hours, but some people take much longer. I have a very fast metabolism, though.

Sarah
An Itinerary in Light and Shadow Completed Dr Charles Stratton / Dr David Wheldon abx regime for aggressive secondary progressive MS in June 2007, after four years. Still improving with no relapses since starting. Can't run but can paint all day.
duncan1
Getting to Know You...

Re: Lyme is a maybe! Doxy question

Post by duncan1 »

Just_Me wrote:Partial positive on my Lyme test...but those are what also come up with positive EBV so my doctor is skeptical but willing to try me on Doxy.

Question 1: Is 100mg twice/day effective or should it be higher dose? (I am a 165 lb adult woman)

Question 2: How long before I get a Herx reaction (if its going to happen)?
1) that's the standard dose.

2) typically about 3 days.
Just_Me
Family Member

Post by Just_Me »

I had no reaction to 10 days of Doxycyclene and my doctor won't prescribe it again. :( I told him I want to do the blood test again & he's going to call Igenex & see which tests they suggest.

I'm going to look for a lyme-literate doctor around here if possible.
duncan1
Getting to Know You...

Post by duncan1 »

Just_Me wrote:I had no reaction to 10 days of Doxycyclene and my doctor won't prescribe it again. :( I told him I want to do the blood test again & he's going to call Igenex & see which tests they suggest.

I'm going to look for a lyme-literate doctor around here if possible.
If you have adult acne (rosacea) you might be able to convince a Dr to prescribe a longer course of Doxy or minocycline, or tetracycline. If you have joint pain you might be able to get a tentative RA diagnosis and a long course of doxy or mino.