Another New Topic? Arron?

Ideas for things you'd like to see?
chrishasms
Family Elder

Post by chrishasms »

With the tilt sensor already built in, and the ramping built into the device, my foot and knee is in better shape than before.

I was worried about walking like Shaggy from Scooby Doo. My right knee was KILLING me before the Walkaide.

I got the Walkaide and that fixed the gait issue and hiking my leg and swinging it around. That in turn helped my back and my hip pain. It didn't help my knee though, because the fine muscle in the right leg that keeps me standing, but doesn't lock out my knee, well they don't work. It's either bent or locked out.

Marletta gave me a lift to use in my shoe and now my knee doesn't hurt anymore. So from the standpoint of getting my life back this device has been wonderful.

I assure you, having this all in one unit makes this livable. I'm telling you all this, we got MS and some of us can't remember stuff like we used too. I've lost my lift for my shoe, cell phone, keys, wallet, garage door opener and anything else minimal you can think of.

I've never misplaced this all in one unit. I'm not saying the other device isn't good but it's more expensive and more pieces. Maybe if you had a stroke and didn't need to keep track of anything it would be fine. I just can't guarantee I could keep it all together. I know me too well.
Sharon
Family Elder

Post by Sharon »

Chris --

I am so glad to hear that your hip hiking and the leg swing have started to resolve because this gives me hope that I will get similar results.

Thank you - your comments have been especially helpful.

Sharon
chrishasms
Family Elder

Post by chrishasms »

If I could get the Hip Flexor Muscles to play ball in my right leg, my right leg would be perfect.

I still can't lift the leg much, weather that is from the spasticity or weakness in the right leg. The nice thing is at least my foot moves so I only need to worry about that. My leg works enough I can do stairs, but the things are still the bane of my existence.

I walked through the DIA terminal NOT of my own free will, more capable because of the Walkaide. I got left there by one of those people who don't speak MY language in MY country and have a job here. He decided my luggage, my wheelchair and me were at the end of the line. Never mind I was easily a quarter of a mile away or more. Left me there.

If it wasn't for that device I would have been like a turtle on my back.
Sharon
Family Elder

Post by Sharon »

I know what you mean about the hip flexors. :roll: My left side was so-o-tight a year ago but, Pilates has really helped me. Core strength is the main goal of Pilates - my hips are finally even! I still have problems with the hip flexors "firing" when I get muscle fatigue in some of the exercises. Tightness and spasticity can be helped by stretching and strengthening the muscle.

I would highly recommend the Pilates routine. I go to a private studio which is a bit more expensive than a community center. I like the smaller classes (5-6 people in comparison to 20 at the community center). The studio director is aware of the MS and helps me to accomodate some of the weakness.

Sharon
PattiNJ

Walkaide info

Post by PattiNJ »

I have had MS FOR over 25 years, use a walker and a weelchair for out of doors. Do you think a walkaide would be in my future??? Thanks for the advise. PattiNJ pas609@aol.com
NHE
Volunteer Moderator

Re: Another New Topic? Arron?

Post by NHE »

Hi Patti,
Welcome to the ThisIsMS forum. All of the above discussions have been moved over to the newly created Medical Devices forum. It's likely that you may get more response to your question by posting it there.

NHE

Return to “Suggestions”