stacool vest ***DO NOT BUY****

Post internet shopping deals here, particularly for products useful for MS'ers. NO spamming allowed.
Aaron
Getting to Know You...

stacool vest ***DO NOT BUY****

Post by Aaron »

I purchased a Stacool vest to help me get outside this summer.
What a HUGE MISTAKE!!

It seemed like a good idea on paper. In the ad it claims to be 'the most lightweight, comfortable, cooling system available,' and 'each lightweight vest offers up to three hours of cooling per ThermoPak set.'

First of all the vest holds 4 synthetic ice packs, (two for the front, and two for the back), and these packs are far from light. Wearing it was like have a 15 - 20 pound weight pulling you down at all times.

As far as the cooling aspect goes, the vest fit rather snugly but in order to feel anything that remotely felt like a chilling effect, I would wrap my arms around my torso in order to press the ice into my body.

After about 30 minutes or so there was no cold left at all and I was left with 20 pounds of lukewarm weight pulling me down.

AVOID THIS LIKE THE PLAGUE!! $200+ can be better spent having a midget try to tackle you.
ElliotB
Family Elder

Re: stacool vest ***DO NOT BUY****

Post by ElliotB »

I bought and use two vests to say cool. The first is very affordable. I call it my ICE CUBE vest. It is basically a neoprene vest with plastic filled 'ice cube' pockets that use Velcro to attach them to the vest. It appears to be very similar in how it works as compared to the one you purchased but nowhere near as nice in design.

I find I get 30-45 min of cooling depending on the outside temperature (I live is South Florida and daytime temperatures currently run well into the middle 90s). I keep it in the freezer and grab it whenever I go outside and it is in or above the high 80's. When done with it, you put it back in the freezer for next time. After minor modification, I added two additional ice panels to the sides for additional cooling. It is not very heavy and certainly very affordable at $75 from Amazon and it definitely gets the job done for short term usage and is very convenient:

http://www.amazon.com/Flexi-Freeze-Ice- ... oling+vest

BUT I doubt you would find it any better than the one you have. How long is your current vest lasting and what is the ambient temperature? How much does the vest actually weigh?

I also use a Veskimo cooling system. I have had some minor issues with it but it does work reasonably well (keeps you cool for more extended periods of time and will easily last 1-1 1/2 hours). You can refill the backpack with additional ice as needed if you bring or have access to ice. It is a more pricey though at over $600. And it does get a bit heavy after a while (I believe it weighs in at about 8 lbs when filled. But, it does get the job done. The battery that powers the pump will last many, many, many hours.

http://www.veskimo.com/body-cooling-vest-products.php
NHE
Volunteer Moderator

Post by NHE »

The heat is really doing me in this summer and it's obvious that I need some type of cooling device. Do either of you have experience with evaporative cooling vests or some other similar option? Thanks.
ElliotB
Family Elder

Post by ElliotB »

I once tried an evaporation bandanna but it did not provide any near enough cooling. The evaporative style vests provide a bit of cooling but when I need cooling, I need REAL cooling. They are not that expensive so you may want to try one for yourself. But for the money, the 'ice cube' style vests are a reasonable value and can do the job well, just not for an extended period of time. And they have the advantage of not being overly heavy. I would not walk in the afternoon heat without one. And find for most of the activities I do, it is perfect in both its weight and duration properties. But when I expect to be out for longer periods of time, I wear the Veskimo.
pushingForward
Family Member

Post by pushingForward »

Dave at activeMSers.com has a pretty thorough review of cooling vests here: http://www.activemsers.org/gear/reviewcoolingvest.html
Kaylie13

Re: stacool vest DO BUY!!!!

Post by Kaylie13 »

I have a StaCool Vest and this guy who says he was not happy with his has no idea what he's talking about. The StaCool Vest has been a life saver for me and all my MS friends that I have referred to them. The vest is very form fitted and very comfortable to wear and will last up to if not longer then the 2 to 3 hours they say it will. Check out their website and read the reviews, customer service is top notch. Just can't please everyone I guess but I'm totally satisfied and they have their vests made here in the USA!!
Kaylie13

Re: stacool vest ***DO BUY!!!***

Post by Kaylie13 »

It sickens me to see people bad mouth companies that work hard at making something that really truly benefits people. This guy had a bad experience so he is trying to make it sound like it is not a good product for anyone. I have had the StaCool Vest now for years and have bought another just recently it is the best thing I have ever invested in. They gave me an additional discount because I have MS and I have never had any problems with the vests and the customer service is exceptional!!!, some people just don't think anything is good unless its "FREE" and if its not free they look for a way to get it free. I posted last year and was sad to see this idiot was still trying to bad mouth them. Get a life, and read their reviews that would maybe help you make up your mind on a vest not some guy who has nothing else to do with his time. Some people will never be happy he probably hasn't found one that works to his satisfaction yet, nor will he.
Kaylie13

Re: stacool vest ***DO BUY!!!***

Post by Kaylie13 »

Aaron wrote:I purchased a Stacool vest to help me get outside this summer.
What a looser... 200 better spent having a midget try to tackle you"" And you are giving advise on cooling vests?!?!?

It seemed like a good idea on paper. In the ad it claims to be 'the most lightweight, comfortable, cooling system available,' and 'each lightweight vest offers up to three hours of cooling per ThermoPak set.'

First of all the vest holds 4 synthetic ice packs, (two for the front, and two for the back), and these packs are far from light. Wearing it was like have a 15 - 20 pound weight pulling you down at all times.

As far as the cooling aspect goes, the vest fit rather snugly but in order to feel anything that remotely felt like a chilling effect, I would wrap my arms around my torso in order to press the ice into my body.

After about 30 minutes or so there was no cold left at all and I was left with 20 pounds of lukewarm weight pulling me down.

AVOID THIS LIKE THE PLAGUE!! $200+ can be better spent having a midget try to tackle you.
ElliotB
Family Elder

Post by ElliotB »

This company seems to offer an affordable, good quality vest:

https://1800icevest.com/order/#pro

(it is actually designed for weight loss but it will obviously work as a cooling vest.) When my current vest wears out, I will likely get this one.