Use of cannabis for medical treatments

Post internet shopping deals here, particularly for products useful for MS'ers. NO spamming allowed.
anabarradas

Use of cannabis for medical treatments

Post by anabarradas »

I'm talking to you from portugal. I'sorry about my english.
here the use of cannabis is illegal. But more and more here we hear about the therapeutic purposes that cannabis has in MS patients. What do you think about this? our government is resistant to the approval of legality in portugal. cannabis is exported here, but it is prohibited to trade. sad reality. We have heard some anonymous reports of people who illegally can use cannabis and report improvements in their standard of living. But unfortunately not everyone can "buy" this plant and enjoy these improvements.
is my first post and I expect some answers. I write on behalf of my mother who has had MS for 20 years.
Thank you in advance.
NHE
Volunteer Moderator

Re: Use of cannabis for medical treatments

Post by NHE »

What about cannabidiol oil (CBD)? For example... https://www.cwhemp.com/all-charlottes-w ... tract-oils

There's no THC (or insignificant amounts) so it's legal even in states where medical MJ is not.
ElliotB
Family Elder

Re: Use of cannabis for medical treatments

Post by ElliotB »

The medical compounds in Marijuana, consist primarily of CBD and THC. Regular 'street' Marijuana has both and the content of each varies depending on the strain used. Some find one better over the other, and the common thought is that both work best together. BUT each person's results vary and if you have access to different strains, it is worth experimenting with them.

Like most MS treatments, Marijuana works well for some but not all.

In any case, in Portugal you may not have a lot of choices as to availability. While it is true it is illegal there, from what I have read on lines is that in 2001, the Portuguese government introduced a new policy which decriminalised the possession and personal use of many common illegal drugs including Marijuana if the amount was no more than a ten-day supply for one person.

You would know best what is really going on because you live there but it appears the consequences are minimal if any, especially for a first time offence and it appears likely that for medical use, there might no be any consequence at all, or just a small fine.

Your best course of action may be to try it to see if it works for you since there is minimal risk. If you find it does work for you, you may have a major decision to make if you want to stay 'legal' (I am referring to moving). If it doesn't work for you, then you won't have to worry about it.

My personal experience (I live in a State that legalized medical Marijuana recently) is that after several years of use, I still cannot say with certainty that it works for me (I primarily have nerve pain from an attach about 4 years ago). I did considering moving at one point but I new it was going to be legalized here and waited it out. I do find that I get better results (I think) from a CBD/THC combo (low THC)or just CBD - THC on its own does not help me directly (I have tried the medical variety) although it does make me tired and can help me sleep, especially when I have mild pain. It has been suggested to me that I try the 'street' Marijuana which apparently is a lot more potent than the medical version). I have not yet.

In any case, my neurologist started me on a low dose antidepressant drug that is known to help some with nerve pain (I had tried Lyrica in the past and like most that try it did not experience any improvement). It has helped me substantially and cost me about $6 US a month (dirt cheap compared to medical Marijuana) with no side effects.

What kind of symptoms do you have?