Statin use is linked to type II diabetes

Discussion of statins (Lipitor, Zocor, etc.) in the treatment of MS.
NHE
Volunteer Moderator

Statin use is linked to type II diabetes

Post by NHE »

Statins Cause Diabetes: The Link Just Got Stronger!
https://www.peoplespharmacy.com/2019/03 ... -stronger/

Associations of statin use with glycaemic traits and incident type 2 diabetes
https://bpspubs.onlinelibrary.wiley.com ... /bcp.13898

Aims: There are several epidemiological studies on the association between statins and incident diabetes, but most of them lack details. In this study, we aimed to investigate the association of statin use with glycaemic traits and incident type 2 diabetes.

Methods: Using the prospective population‐based Rotterdam Study, we included 9535 individuals free from diabetes at baseline (>45 years) during the study period between 1997 and 2012. Linear regression analysis was applied to examine the cross‐sectional associations between statin use and glycaemic traits including fasting blood serum of glucose and insulin concentrations, and insulin resistance. In a longitudinal follow‐up study, we applied a Cox regression analysis to determine adjusted hazard ratios (HR) for incident type 2 diabetes in new users of statins.

Results: The mean age at baseline was 64.3 ± 10.1 years and 41.7% were men. In the fully adjusted model, compared to never users of statins, baseline use of statins was associated with higher concentrations of serum fasting insulin (β = 0.07; 95% CI: 0.02–0.13) and insulin resistance (β = 0.09; 95% CI: 0.03–0.14). Ever use of statins was associated with a 38% higher risk of incident type 2 diabetes (HR = 1.38; 95% CI: 1.09–1.74). This risk was more prominent in subjects with impaired glucose homeostasis and in overweight/obese individuals.

Conclusions: Individuals using statins may be at higher risk for hyperglycaemia, insulin resistance and eventually type 2 diabetes. Rigorous preventive strategies such as glucose control and weight reduction in patients when initiating statin therapy might help minimize the risk of diabetes.
NHE
Volunteer Moderator

Re: Statin use is linked to type II diabetes

Post by NHE »

What Your Doctor May Not Tell You About the Statin and Diabetes Connection

https://www.peoplespharmacy.com/article ... onnection/

Many cardiologists were reluctant to acknowledge the statin and diabetes connection. Now each patient deserves to weigh the risks.

Statins such as atorvastatin or simvastatin are extremely effective at lowering circulating levels of cholesterol. Doctors prescribe them to reduce the chance that a patient will have a heart attack or a stroke. Very often, though, doctors don’t have good answer for people who are worried about the statin and diabetes connection uncovered in studies. How can you weigh the risks?
ElliotB
Family Elder

Post by ElliotB »

Interesting finding. Statins have so many bad side effects. I tried several and within a day or two had excruciating pain and could barely walk because of the intense pain and had to stop immediately.

I now use an injectable called Repatha which immediately lowered my cholesterol without any side effects. An interesting drug.

A couple of interesting facts about cholesterol. There appears not to be a correlation between high cholesterol and heart attacks contrary to popular beliefs.

Perhaps the most interesting thing I have found out recently about cholesterol is its very important roll in myelin repair. So I face dilemma of whether to stay on Repatha or not.
NHE
Volunteer Moderator

Post by NHE »

Statins can increase Type 2 diabetes risk by 10-45%.

Statins and the potential for higher diabetes mellitus risk
Expert Rev Clin Pharmacol. 2019 Sep;12(9):825-830.

Introduction: 3-Hydroxy-3-methylglutaryl-coenzyme A (HMG-CoA) reductase inhibitors (statins) are widely used for cardiovascular disease (CVD) prevention. Long-term use of statins has been linked to the development of diabetes mellitus (DM) which increases CVD risk.

Areas covered: We discussed the reported incidence of DM in statin users, various possible mechanisms responsible for the development of DM and the clinical implications of this association on CVD risk. Relevant supporting literature was identified using MEDLINE/EMBASE search.

Expert opinion: Data from available RCTs and observational studies suggest a 10-45% higher risk of new-onset DM with statin use compared to nonusers. Several cellular, molecular, and genetic mechanisms, and lifestyle changes have been studied and discussed as potential underlying mechanisms responsible for this elevated DM risk with statin therapy. The mode of the diabetogenic action of statins is still unclear and an interplay of pancreatic and peripheral effects in the pathogenesis of DM is a possibility. Despite these observations, the CVD preventative benefit of statin treatment outweighs the CVD risk associated with of development of new DM. There is a need for further research to identify the exact mechanisms involved so as to specifically target causative factors and individualize treatment.
DIM
Family Elder

Post by DIM »

ElliotB wrote: Fri Jan 28, 2022 3:46 pm I now use an injectable called Repatha which immediately lowered my cholesterol without any side effects. An interesting drug.

A couple of interesting facts about cholesterol. There appears not to be a correlation between high cholesterol and heart attacks contrary to popular beliefs.

Perhaps the most interesting thing I have found out recently about cholesterol is its very important roll in myelin repair. So I face dilemma of whether to stay on Repatha or not.
Why not take Plant Sterols?
They are plant-derived compounds structurally similar to cholesterol so that they help to limit absorption of cholesterol from the digestive tract when taken with food.
They have minimal if not zero side effects.

Monacolin K is a natural statin found in red yeast rice, but it has the same side effects with the drug Lovastatin, the most serious are muscle disorders and liver problems.
ElliotB
Family Elder

Post by ElliotB »

I did and I tried probably a dozen other natural cholesterol supplements thought to lower cholesterol as well. Nothing worked for me.

Managing cholesterol for some is not an easy task. And for those of us who have MS, lowering cholesterol can be counterproductive. As I mentioned previously, cholesterol is crucial for repairing long-term damage to the myelin sheath. Plus there is no conclusive evidence that high cholesterol is really an issue with regard to heart heath, or general health either.
Last edited by ElliotB on Fri Nov 24, 2023 3:46 am, edited 1 time in total.
DIM
Family Elder

Post by DIM »

ElliotB wrote: Mon Nov 20, 2023 8:24 am I did and I tried probably a dozen other natural cholesterol supplements thought to lower cholesterol as well. Nothing worked for me.

Managing cholesterol for some is not an easy task. And for those of us who have MS, lowering cholesterol can be counterproductive. As I mentioned previously, cholesterol is crucial for repairing long-term damage to the myelin sheath. Olus there is no conclusive evidence that high cholesterol is really an issue.
I have for the last ten years 220-230mg/dL cholesterol (the upper limit here is 200mg/dL).
My lipid profile is otherwise very good and I don't think this cholesterol level is a problem at all, my father died at age 90 and had around 260-280 mg/dL cholesterol for half his life, not seeing any difference from the higher statin dose he was taking.
I try to avoid fat, and I take 1gr EPA+DHA, menakolin-K and sitosterol daily.
ElliotB
Family Elder

Post by ElliotB »

Glad you are doing well.

Keep in mind that avoiding BAD fats is a good idea, but avoiding GOOD fats, like omega 3s, is not a good idea.
DIM
Family Elder

Post by DIM »

ElliotB wrote: Fri Nov 24, 2023 3:48 am Glad you are doing well.

Keep in mind that avoiding BAD fats is a good idea, but avoiding GOOD fats, like omega 3s, is not a good idea.
Our main source of good fats are fishes, shrimps, octopus etc and some game meats that friends give us like wild boar, deer, hare and so on.
We have our own olive trees so we cook everything with good biological olive oil and our own garden that feed us with fresh vegetables.
Greece may be poor country but we still have some of the best foods available around