Difference Between statins

Discussion of statins (Lipitor, Zocor, etc.) in the treatment of MS.
CureOrBust
Family Elder

Difference Between statins

Post by CureOrBust »

I was wondering if anyone has changed between the statins and noticed a difference in their effectiveness?

The ones I know of are:
atorvastatin (Lipitor)
fluvastatin (Lescol)
lovastatin (Mevacor)
pravastatin (Pravachol)
simvastatin (Zocor)
rosuvastatin (Crestor)

I just read an article at http://healthfully.org/mednews/id2.html which basically states that lipitor is better than pravachol for anti-inflamitory effects.
He thinks that inflammation in the walls of the coronary arteries is behind many heart events and that Lipitor has a stronger anti-inflammatory effect than Pravachol does. For evidence, he notes that in the PROVE-IT patients Lipitor was much more effective than Pravachol at lowering the level of C-reactive protein, which seems to be an indicator of inflammation. "This is not just about cholesterol lowering," he insists.
carolew
Family Elder

Post by carolew »

I also think that Lipitor is a more potent anti-inflammatory drug but many studies on this topic for MS actually use Zocor. I am bit surprise but I will stick to Lipitor. I think that Pfizer already made enough money with Lipitor,it did not need to investigate for the treatment of MS.... $ talks. :) Carole
CureOrBust
Family Elder

Post by CureOrBust »

carolew wrote:... but many studies on this topic for MS actually use Zocor ....
Its unusual you say that, I always seem to stumble accros lipitor as the statin used in MS test.

I am on Zucor (simvastatin) after reading an original study on this site (http://www.thisisms.com/modules.php?nam ... le&sid=106), but the article in the link above makes me think i should look into it a little further.
dignan
Family Elder

Post by dignan »

Hopefully this will make you feel better, but Lipitor is actually in 3 MS studies right now. Let's hope for some good news on one of these soon.

http://www.clinicaltrials.gov/ct/show/N ... 72?order=1

http://www.clinicaltrials.gov/ct/show/N ... 76?order=2

http://www.clinicaltrials.gov/ct/show/N ... 74?order=3
Brainteaser
Family Elder

Post by Brainteaser »

Just curious as to why there might be so many MS trials on statins which are readily available prescription and over-the-counter drugs......yet it is often said that there are no trials on other similar categorized drugs eg. LDN, abx etc as trials are expensive for no significant return to drug companies??
dignan
Family Elder

Post by dignan »

The statins under trial are still under patent protection, so as usual, it's all about $$$. Zocor is coming off patent very soon, I think maybe this year or next, but Lipitor I think has at least a few more years of patent protection. Ching$ Ching$ Ching$
ljm
Family Elder

Post by ljm »

I'd like to respectfully disagree with dignan, but hope that someone will contradict me.

I’ve been concerned about the difference in interest/research in Statins vs ABX. I’ve heard before that its all about money. I don’t think that’s possible. I think there is a genuine momentum building around Statins because of their efficacy...and a drifting off of ABX research because of its lack of measurable outcomes.

My understanding is that in the US once a drug has received FDA approval, that agency provides strict guidelines for language of drug's labelling/product info/marketing. That language will specify illness/condition for which drug has been shown to be safe/effective.

The company manufacturing the drug cannot promote for other purpose without FDA approval. And pursuing any FDA review/approval is extremely expensive.

I'm guessing it simply isn’t cost effective for Pfizer or other vested interests to pursue trials of/approval of statins as an on-label treatment for MS. Even if every one of the 400K MS'ers in US immediately decided to take statins, that would be a tiny spike in sales. There are already more than 25million users in country, growing rapidly. And so, I’m guessing the growing research is indeed being driven by results, rather than simply profit.....although, okay, all you have to do is confirm that Pfizer or other is underwriting the statin trials and I’ll delete this post.

Also, can anyone tell me, are the results on statins only showing lesion reduction, or more meaningful measurement, like atrophy or EDSS scale? Also, can anyone point to whether statins are assumed to have effect through their anti inflammatory characteristic or through cholesterol lowering characteristic (because if its the latter, I’m on this god forsaken diet that should be as good as a Statin)
dignan
Family Elder

Post by dignan »

Good points. It looks like the trials are being done by national institutes and by the makers of the experimental MS drugs with which they are being tried in combination. Can't put too much on the trials to date as they were preliminary and small-scale. I hope we will see results of some of the larger trials soon though.
CureOrBust
Family Elder

Post by CureOrBust »

dignan wrote:The statins under trial are still under patent protection, so as usual, it's all about $$$. Zocor is coming off patent very soon, I think maybe this year or next...
hmmmm... I thought if it was still under patent, you wouldnt get different brand names for it. But I have had at least 3 different "brands" of simvastatin (possibly 4 to 5). I guess they could license it, but I thouht they would just keep the brand singular. But i guess when there are other statins to chose from, it already eats into your market.
CureOrBust
Family Elder

Post by CureOrBust »

dignan wrote:Hopefully this will make you feel better, but Lipitor is actually in 3 MS studies right now
Feel better? I'm on Simvastatin!!!! this is what i was talking about.

Thanks! That settles it, i am speaking to my doc about switching. Hopefully I wont sound too pushy/ungrateful. I have about 90 days left on my current script of zucor.

One of the reasons I didnt go for lipitor originally is that my father was on it for cholesterol, and his liver wasnt to happy. I thought maybe that genetics might provide me the same fate.

Has anyone read anything about switching? I am guessing that I wont be able to go from my 80mg simvastatin to the highest dose of lipitor overnight; ie i will need to titrate up on the lipitor. Any hard facts on this?

This does make me think. has there been anything on combination (low doses of each) of two statins and inflamatory effects?
dignan
Family Elder

Post by dignan »

Regarding simvastatin, I believe it loses patent protection in the US this year, in June. But I don't know if the same date applies around the world.
Brainteaser
Family Elder

Post by Brainteaser »

Dignan,

Those Lipitor MS studies sound good. Do we know what dosage of Lipitor is being trialled and what is BHT-3009 in the third study?

Regards,
Phil.
BalsaBoy
Family Member

I've just started

Post by BalsaBoy »

20 Mg Lipitor last week and got a result straight away. My right knee and right foot immediately felt much stronger and almost pain free. Still got drop foot on my left to a certain extent. Should I up the dose? I'd also like to know what to keep an eye out for Liver-wise. If anyone can help I'd be grateful.
dignan
Family Elder

Post by dignan »

BHT-3009 is from Bay Hill Therapeutics and is injected intramuscularly every other week I think. Here's a little blurb from their website about it: Plasmid encoding the MS-specific autoantigen myelin basic protein. Phase I/II clinical studies are underway in MS patients.

I can't see any reference to the lipitor dose being used in the study.
CureOrBust
Family Elder

Re: I've just started

Post by CureOrBust »

BalsaBoy wrote:I'd also like to know what to keep an eye out for Liver-wise.
I dont think there is anything you can look out for yourself untill its gotten tooooooo far. Your doctor can do a blood test to check on your liver.