niacin

Discussion of statins (Lipitor, Zocor, etc.) in the treatment of MS.
jimmylegs
Volunteer Moderator

niacin

Post by jimmylegs »

hi i searched this forum for niacin/b3 and got no results. is anyone taking niacin as an alternative to, or in combination with, prescription statins?
ljm
Family Elder

Post by ljm »

Jimmylegs,
I've tried unsuccessfully to find out whether niacin is as effective as a statin in decreasing inflammation. As it turns out, I'm taking niacin, rather than statins, because I think its "vasodilation" effect might help that neurological micro environment, and its easier to get as well, and maybe also helps depression. I take 100 mg x 3 times per day. Unfortunately I'm feeling rather crappy so I'm not a real testimony for its effectiveness. And, I think niacin shares the risk of statin in long term use/liver damage.
LJM
LisaBee
Family Elder

Post by LisaBee »

I was taking a prescription niacin/statin combo last fall, called Advicor. I felt pretty good overall. I got sick one night and threw up. It may or may not have been the medication, as there was a bug circulating the workplace and I was only sick one night, but it made me nervous because I wasn't getting the liver function monitoring (a long story about health insurance). So I stopped taking it.

I have been working on my diet, and want to work on my exercise and get blood lipids repeated this fall. If they are still not quite up to par, I want to started again on the medication for both MS and lipid purposes, and get liver function tests.

There are both sustained and immediate release niacin formalations - the kind in the prescription was sustained release.

Lisa
elizard

Nicotinamide and MS

Post by elizard »

Actually it's Nicotinamide (B3) that worked in this mouse study:

http://www.webmd.com/content/Article/127/116752.htm

And of course...further study is needed.
jimmylegs
Volunteer Moderator

Post by jimmylegs »

wow, this is so old. missed the feedback at the time, obviously. i was doing a little random searching in google which led me to this old thread.
related interesting info:
http://www.thisisms.com/ftopicp-45529.html#45529

hear that about possible long term liver impacts. i think that's why they offer the -amide version? also, there's always milk thistle for those pesky livers who won't behave nicely under assault ;)

Return to “Statins”