Welcome!

This forum is for parents and caregivers of kids under 21 with MS.
Arron
Volunteer Moderator

Welcome!

Post by Arron »

We are happy to welcome a new group to This is MS, called "Parenting Kids with MS." George Peabody will be running this forum-- he has a daughter that was diagnosed at a young age and has dedicated much time since then forming a support group for families with children affected by MS. We believe this group fulfills an important need for our overall MS community and welcome George's group with open arms. You can find George's Familes with MS website at: http://www.familieswithms.org

George has graciously provided us with the following introduction:

"Hi and welcome to Parenting Kids with MS. This forum is for parents and
caregivers of kids under 21. If that's your situation, like mine, then this
forum is for you.

Our daughter, Anna, was diagnosed at 15. She's now 19 and in college. We're fortunate. The first two years were really rough for her and for the rest of the family. Having other parents to talk to was enormously helpful. That's why this forum is here.

Over the last couple of years, I've been lucky to speak with parents of
young adults and far-too-young little one under 5. It isn't always an easy
road. How's that for understatement?

And that's where community comes in. This forum can help us develop a
community of experts. Hey, if anyone knows about parenting a kid with MS, it's us. The doctors and nurses don't have the big picture, that's for sure.

So, welcome. I hope you stay and help build this community by posting a
message, replying to a prior message and coming back often. We need one another.

George"
Disclaimer: Any information you find on this site should not be considered medical advice. All decisions should be made with the consent of your doctor, otherwise you are at your own risk.
rasnet6
Family Member

Post by rasnet6 »

Hi,

I was diagnosed with MS when I was 18 (Im 25 now), and had suffered for a couple of years prior to diagnosis. So i suppose I am offering my imput to anyone who would like to know the young persons point of view. I know my mum would have appreciated someone elses imput, cause i never told her the truth... (I still dont cause she worries too much!)

So if any parents/friends would like to ask questions they perhaps feel awkward asking the person affected.. perhaps I could help - bridge the gap maybe!

Rachael
gpeabody
Volunteer Moderator

Post by gpeabody »

Thanks, Rachael. Much appreciated. That truth telling can be no small issue! I know there will be parents who'll want your perspective.

George
chalam
Getting to Know You...

"the truth"

Post by chalam »

I know my mum would have appreciated someone elses imput, cause i never told her the truth... (I still dont cause she worries too much!)
My 15-year old daughter was recently diagnosed. I want to help her bear this heavy load, but at the same time, it breaks my heart to see her dealing with MS. She knows this intuitively and keeps a smile on her face so as not to worry me. This must make things doubly difficult for her. I realize the problem is mine and therefore am looking for strategies for coping.
Rachel, what sort of help did you appreciate from your mother when you were younger? What could she have done to better help you?
thanks,
Laura

Return to “Parenting Kids With MS”