Using a catheter

A forum to talk about the general challenges of daily life with MS.
whiteflag
Getting to Know You...

Using a catheter

Post by whiteflag »

Hi guys,

This question is directed to those who use or have ever used (even if just once) a catheter for urinary issues.

I'm a 41-yr old guy and work from home cos I cant work in an office.

Reason is this: I'm r.r.m.s but I have chronic urinary hesitancy as well as retention. It takes me ages to start and before two hours I have to go again.

Till now I've tried several meds but they don't seem to work and my urologist talks about catheters but says the last option is surgical and then I'll lose my libido (I'm a 41 y/o single guy!). I'm trying not to think of catheters but I might have to consider it at some point in the near future.

What is it like to use a catheter if you administer it yourself, as in self-cathetize? Is it difficult to do/use and is there discomfort during the day?

Thanks in advance for your responses.
Slumby
Family Member

Re: Using a catheter

Post by Slumby »

Hello
I used a intermittent catheter for a while, now I have a supra pubic catheter.
I love it. It gives me a lot of freedom.
Laura

Secondary progressive
14mg aubagio
Edss = 8
Check out my blog!
Laura5myMSstories.blogspot.com
Quest56
Family Elder

Re: Using a catheter

Post by Quest56 »

whiteflag wrote:Reason is this: I'm r.r.m.s but I have chronic urinary hesitancy as well as retention. It takes me ages to start and before two hours I have to go again.
It's not difficult or painful, the only trick is to be super clean so that you don't pick up a UTI. I just had my fourth or fifth BOTOX bladder injection today, this entirely puts my bladder to sleep for about 6 months, no leaking, no accidents, I entirely sleep through the night, but I need to self-cath about every 4 hours during the day to empty my bladder. Highly recommend this approach.

If I ever lose the ability to self-cath (because of tremors, etc) I'll investigate the supra-pubic catheter. I hope this never happens.

Return to “Daily Life”