When affected limbs "fall-asleep"

A forum to talk about the general challenges of daily life with MS.
blacknite3

When affected limbs "fall-asleep"

Post by blacknite3 »

So does anyone else have issues when you sleep on your arm (or leg) funny and wake up with it "asleep?" The last few nights I've slept with my arm in a weird position and it takes forever for it to wake back up, compared to before my life with MS and compared to the other arm not yet affected by MS. My arm is STILL sore 6 hours later. :?

Thanks!
Patrick
jimmylegs
Volunteer Moderator

Re: When affected limbs "fall-asleep"

Post by jimmylegs »

hi Patrick :) I used to have that problem but I couldn't say exactly when, how or why it cleared up! definitely irritating, I can sympathize :S
active members shape site content. if there is a problem, speak up!
use the report button to flag problematic post content to volunteer moderators' attention.
NHE
Volunteer Moderator

Post by NHE »

blacknite3 wrote:So does anyone else have issues when you sleep on your arm (or leg) funny and wake up with it "asleep?" The last few nights I've slept with my arm in a weird position and it takes forever for it to wake back up, compared to before my life with MS and compared to the other arm not yet affected by MS. My arm is STILL sore 6 hours later. :?
My right hand will get tingly if I sleep with my arms bent with my hands resting on my stomach. It goes away if I put it straight by my side.
Anonymoose
Family Elder

Post by Anonymoose »

NHE wrote:
blacknite3 wrote:So does anyone else have issues when you sleep on your arm (or leg) funny and wake up with it "asleep?" The last few nights I've slept with my arm in a weird position and it takes forever for it to wake back up, compared to before my life with MS and compared to the other arm not yet affected by MS. My arm is STILL sore 6 hours later. :?
My right hand will get tingly if I sleep with my arms bent with my hands resting on my stomach. It goes away if I put it straight by my side.
I had that too...both hands though. It started a couple of years before my first ms flare. It got so bad that I didn't just go tingly...I went dead numb. It went away after rituxan. I can't remember if it was related to taking iron supplements or not...I think it was but maybe that was just a coincidence? My iron and ferritin have gone low again and the "fall asleep" factor has stayed away.
lucy52

Post by lucy52 »

Hi Patrick,
Ya, on the nights that I actually sleep well ,My hand will be asleep and really cold. It takes a while to get the feeling back. But, it is not the same as a regular body part going to sleep.
I feel like I have to change positions through the night to keep all of my parts comfortable. I am also recovering from breast cancer reconstructive surgery ,so my sleep issues are a bit complicated. It is hard to say which problem stems from M.S.

Take Care,
Lucy
NHE
Volunteer Moderator

Post by NHE »

Sometimes when I get the cold hand problem, I'll soak it in hot water and epsom salt for about 5 minutes. It helps.

Return to “Daily Life”