social events

A forum to talk about the general challenges of daily life with MS.
cas
Family Member

social events

Post by cas »

If you and your spouse are invited somewhere, how do you decide if you are going? I have to use a scooter. Walking is extremely difficult. I want to know if I'm being a cry-baby in having to stay at home. Is this normal? Please be as specific as possible.
BadKittyCat
Family Member

Re: social events

Post by BadKittyCat »

I really don't think you are being a cry baby! I am still walking without assistance (RRMS), and to go out anywhere I first decide on how important it is, then I plan and rest just so I can go, and the "last minute" thing doesn't work...

You mentioned mobility, but forgot to mention energy.

But that aside, it is really about priorities. How important is this event? If not so important, don't bother. If VERY important, talk to your husband and try to adjust the plan (extra rest before, leaving early from said event). Even I struggle with going out, but some connections are important. I am most sucessful when I am with others who can help me.
ElliotB
Family Elder

Re: social events

Post by ElliotB »

After my diagnosis, I told my wife there may be times I will not be able to attend a social event. And when I am not up to one, I don't go. My health comes first. And yours should too!