i am a bad friend

A forum to talk about the general challenges of daily life with MS.
jimmylegs
Volunteer Moderator

i am a bad friend

Post by jimmylegs »

i just invited my friend to participate in an experiment to see which of us would react more strongly to 250mg niacin, given that she takes 4 caps of fish oil per day and i have been out for a while. 'maybe i didn't really react yesterday because it was on a full stomach' i thought. so i fed my friend, and gave her the niacin. result: fire engine. think i need to make a better effort in the fish dept! and maybe not run trials on the dinner guests.
active members shape site content. if there is a problem, speak up!
use the report button to flag problematic post content to volunteer moderators' attention.
THX1138
Family Elder

Re: i am a bad friend

Post by THX1138 »

If your friend's... muscles relax and her limbs take on a lightness and quickness previously unknown.

If your friend... moves with an ease and rapidity to which she is unaccustomed,

If your friend's... thoughts become quick and decisive,

If your friend... finds herself completing tasks, sometimes done more than one at a time, and
wondering how they got done so fast,

If your friend... begins to see everything as clearer, crisper, and
more colorful than she realized was possible,

If your friend... feels so alive and vigorous, brimming with energy,

If your friend... feels like a new person - someone who is better, stronger, faster,

If your friend... thinks to herself, "So, this is what it feels like to be ALIVE!"

then, you're not a bad friend at all.
Last edited by THX1138 on Fri Jan 26, 2018 12:13 am, edited 2 times in total.
THX1138
Family Elder

Post by THX1138 »

I'm keeping the fish oil info in my head. It may come in handy.
My question was about whether fish oil can help to increase the strength of the niacin flush. You said that if ones essential fatty acid levels we're low then taking fish oil could help the strength of the niacin flush by increasing their free fatty acid status. I'm assuming it is fish oil (omega 3) that is the fatty acid that's in question.

Also, schizophrenics were found to not flush from niacin and this is due to the fact that they're essential fatty acid level is low.

If schizophrenics free fatty acid levels are so low that they don't flush, how is it that they're able to walk :?: I can't really walk (except for during a niacin flush), but I do flush.

Thanks
Last edited by THX1138 on Sat Jan 27, 2018 6:59 pm, edited 2 times in total.
jimmylegs
Volunteer Moderator

Post by jimmylegs »

must be some other cofactor in the mix. i can walk, and my fatty acid status is not great according to relatively non existent niacin flush reaction.
use the report button to flag problematic post content to volunteer moderators' attention.
THX1138
Family Elder

Post by THX1138 »

I'm sure you know this but just, just, just in case: Having food in the stomach prevents the niacin flush and all of its great benefits.

What I used to do to ensure an excellent niacin flush was to open the capsule and mix it with water and drink this on an empty stomach.
jimmylegs
Volunteer Moderator

Post by jimmylegs »

yeah kinda think i went over the full vs empty stomach thing above. i'm lacklustre either way. not my friend. i started my new fish oil today

Return to “Daily Life”