Living without a life,

A forum to talk about the general challenges of daily life with MS.
robbie
Family Elder

Re: Living without a life,

Post by robbie »

It becomes so big in your head, body, mind and soul trys to take everything

Suicide remains highly stigmatized,” Dr. Patten says. “What often happens is people have those thoughts, and there’s a sense of shame or failure that goes along with that. So they don’t reach out for help from others.”

The study found that the following factors predicted suicidal thoughts in people with MS:

Older age. In the study, people aged 65 and older with MS were four times as likely to engage in suicidal thoughts (sometimes called suicidal ideation) as younger people with MS.

Bowel and bladder problems. The study found that participants who reported bowel and bladder symptoms as a complication of their MS were more than twice as likely to have suicidal thoughts.

Low self-efficacy. Participants in the study were given a quiz and asked to rate their ability to perform difficult tasks or to deal with unexpected events. Those who gave themselves lower ratings were more than three times as likely to have suicidal thoughts.

Speaking and swallowing problems. People whose MS symptoms involved trouble with swallowing or talking were almost three times as likely to experience suicidal ideation.

Emotional coping style. The MS patients in the study were given a queostionnaire to determine how they dealt with adversity. Patients who said they coped with difficulty in an emotional way were more likely to have suicidal thoughts than those who dealt with problems in a task-oriented manner.
Had ms for 28 yrs,
8.5 EDSS
SPMS, 54 yrs old
Taking it day by day
NHE
Volunteer Moderator

Post by NHE »

Hi Robbie,
NHE wrote: Wed Jun 05, 2019 12:49 am
robbie wrote: Tue Jun 04, 2019 11:01 am Hi Moose I made a ceiling hoist from stuff a lot cheaper,couldnt afford the real thing. That was partly why the PSW didn't work out, no faith in my engineering skills. Makes it possible for my wife to move me around though. Disability is a rich person's game.

It looks well made! viewtopic.php?p=248292#p248292

Have you considered selling kits for lifts like this and perhaps other devices you've designed? It could be a profitable venture as I'm sure there are many people like yourself looking for lower cost options.
Anonymoose
Family Elder

Post by Anonymoose »

Hey Robbie,

I hope you’re in touch w people in a similar situation behind the scenes. There is clearly a need for some sort of easily found online interface designed specifically for the purpose of peer support at every stage of disease. I know what you’re talking about. I have my exit plan arranged. But I am nowhere near where you are in proximity to having to make the call. I can just say naive crap like “you’ve still got so much to give!” and “you’ve got family that loves you...look at that beautiful view!” Prolly not helpful in any way.

Have you tried the MSWorld chat? Maybe they’ve got a group going? If not, why not organize a group/platform yourself? There’s even a VR chat thingy out there these days...unfortunately that might be cost prohibitive for some.

Maybe creating/maintaining this peer support environment is your calling now???

Be well,
‘Moose

PS I agree w NHE re: selling your lifts/designs or even sharing ideas for free. Maybe you’ll meet more people who can relate that way...
robbie
Family Elder

Post by robbie »

My brother put up another hoist upstairs for me this weekend, nice to have a different view. The best thing is my wife isn't up and down the stairs all the time :)
Had ms for 28 yrs,
8.5 EDSS
SPMS, 54 yrs old
Taking it day by day
robbie
Family Elder

Post by robbie »

The hoist upstairs
Had ms for 28 yrs,
8.5 EDSS
SPMS, 54 yrs old
Taking it day by day
robbie
Family Elder

Post by robbie »

God I got to get going it's our anniversary today, I've got reservations at a nice steak house for dinner. I thought after we could go to a movie and later a little night cap somewhere we can dance. I played hooky from work today so I could get in a round of golf in and then I'm going to do all the chores around the house wash my truck walk the dog and then get dressed up and pamper my beutiful wife for another 21 yrs.
Had ms for 28 yrs,
8.5 EDSS
SPMS, 54 yrs old
Taking it day by day

Return to “Daily Life”