Swollen ankles and feet

A forum to talk about the general challenges of daily life with MS.
Music
Family Elder

Re: Swollen ankles and feet

Post by Music »

Hi Robbie,

Have you tried compression stockings? Maybe I've missed it. Not perfect but they help quite a bit! I also use the foot machine that you used too...on my second one...and a recumbent bike. I think you and I are pretty much similar. My day consists of a shower, getting dressed, breakfast and foot machine, checking my computer, TV, get my stockings on, recumbent bike, reading and so on...all from my w/c. Nothing exciting. My hubby works alot but is supportive. Have a great caregiver that comes everyday. She's firm about most things AND hilarious at times. We just have to be hopeful!

Take care,

Terry
NHE
Volunteer Moderator

Post by NHE »

ElliotB wrote: Sat Jul 13, 2019 6:29 am I met with my doctor yesterday and he feels that perhaps at least some of the issues I am having with my left leg are due to a bit of spasticty, so I myself might be a good test case for this machine. Time will tell...
Is your doctor linking the spasticity to your muscle atrophy? If so, how?
ElliotB
Family Elder

Post by ElliotB »

He is not sure at this point. But is going to do a number of tests to try and find out what is going on. He has several theories. One that seems most plausible in addition to my MS possibly directly effecting my nerves/muscles is that he feels I am not getting enough protein from my diet. Coincidentally I had just added a protein supplement to my diet a few weeks ago. Although my diet has a fair amount of protein in it, it may not be enough as I don't eat a lot and have lost almost 30lbs in the past year without trying to. I have just stepped up my protein intake quite a bit in the last few days adding Orgain organic protein products which he recommended, twice a day (20+ grams of protein per serving), in addition to the whey protein I had already been supplementing with.

I just had comprehensive blood work with everything looking good EXCEPT it shows I am in a state of keytosis and because I have very little body fat, it appears I am loosing muscle mass at this point instead. Testing shows I have lost about 10% of my muscle mass in my left leg, which is a significant amount. The muscle mass in the rest of my body seems OK.

He is starting his evaluation by having me do a MRI to see if I have any new/active lesions. It will be interesting to see what is going on since my last MRI almost 2 years ago (I had no new or active lesions at that time).

He and my neurologist want me to switch DMDs which frankly I am very concerned about doing as they all have so many significant side effects and I have yet to see any evidence that any of them really work, including the one I have been taking for 6 years, Copaxone.
robbie
Family Elder

Post by robbie »

"Time will tell" should be the slogan for ms it's perfect :)
Had ms for 28 yrs,
8.5 EDSS
SPMS, 54 yrs old
Taking it day by day
NHE
Volunteer Moderator

Post by NHE »

robbie wrote: Sun Jul 14, 2019 4:38 pm "Time will tell" should be the slogan for ms it's perfect :)
Entropy is maintenance free and time wounds all heels.
robbie
Family Elder

Post by robbie »

Thx Terry i will ask my wife to get a pair, maby if I can get the swelling down my ankles won't be so locked inwards. Thx for sharing your day as well:)
rob
Had ms for 28 yrs,
8.5 EDSS
SPMS, 54 yrs old
Taking it day by day
ElliotB
Family Elder

Post by ElliotB »

I just had a follow up visit with my doctor. Although it has only been two weeks since I have seen him, he says he can see a bit of improvement in my left leg. I believe I have noticed improvement as well. I seem to be walking a bit better and my leg doesn't feel as heavy. In two weeks, he will be testing my muscle mass with a computerized testing system. It will be interesting to compare the results to the testing I did earlier this month. I am hopeful that it will show improvement.

I find the 2 passive exercise machines I am using (added a Chi Swing passive exerciser in addition to the LegXercise machine) to be beneficial (my subjective option). I certainly feel good after I use them. But since I have only been using them for about a week so and it is going to take a bit longer to know for sure.
robbie
Family Elder

Post by robbie »

I was gonna say I got up this morning but obviously not, I woke up and thought the compression stockings I wore last night did nothing but make my legs twitch all night which they haven't done since my Neuro gave me Clozopam. Sleeping is my only escape ,you get into a good dream where things are all different and with an open of the eye real world is back.
Had ms for 28 yrs,
8.5 EDSS
SPMS, 54 yrs old
Taking it day by day
Music
Family Elder

Post by Music »

Hi Robbie,

Try wearing your stockings from before 11am till evening every day. Also put your feet up for a bit too during the day. I wear
a 20 - 30 compression. Wear what you can find until you can get assessed. Yes, I dream that I am walking alot.

Take care.........

Terry
robbie
Family Elder

Post by robbie »

I will Terry thx
Had ms for 28 yrs,
8.5 EDSS
SPMS, 54 yrs old
Taking it day by day
robbie
Family Elder

Post by robbie »

The ones I got are 20/30 as well can you get them on yourself ?
Had ms for 28 yrs,
8.5 EDSS
SPMS, 54 yrs old
Taking it day by day
robbie
Family Elder

Post by robbie »

Terry?
Had ms for 28 yrs,
8.5 EDSS
SPMS, 54 yrs old
Taking it day by day
Music
Family Elder

Post by Music »

Hi Robbie,

Sorry, only saw this now. I have my husband or caregiver put them on me early in the morning and my hubby pulls them off at night. I can't use my hands that well anymore.

Terry
robbie
Family Elder

Post by robbie »

Hi Terry I can't either , can your hubby just pull them on without to much trouble. My wife really struggles to get them on, she measured my ankle and calf and I got them from Amazon, maby I need to get them fitted better, i don't know
Rob
Had ms for 28 yrs,
8.5 EDSS
SPMS, 54 yrs old
Taking it day by day
Music
Family Elder

Post by Music »

Do you have closed toed or open toed stockings? I have open as they don't hurt me. To me they are easier to get on?? You can buy something called a Sleeve or special gloves to put the stockings on. My husband and the caregivers that I've had just struggled at first but it got easier. We never used anything. Your stockings sound like the right ones.