Robocalls

A forum to talk about the general challenges of daily life with MS.
NHE
Volunteer Moderator

Robocalls

Post by NHE »

I get a lot of robocalls, sometimes 4 or more per day. They're all fraudulent. I usually just hang up. They all want to steal my identity, money, etc. One call was even the classic grandparent scam where someone pretended to be my nephew in trouble. Another call ended the recording by telling me to "have a good day." Really? They're trying to steal from me and they want me to "have a good day?" Why do robocalls persist? Because sometimes they work and when they do, the profit is huge. Here's an example of a woman who lost $340,000 which was her entire retirement savings. Don't let this be you.

https://www.wsj.com/podcasts/the-journa ... f7e8ba9acb
ElliotB
Family Elder

Re: Robocalls

Post by ElliotB »

I get so many of them that I have stopped answering my phone and let all the calls that I don't recognize go to voice mail.
NHE
Volunteer Moderator

Post by NHE »

ElliotB wrote: Mon Nov 25, 2019 8:02 am I get so many of them that I have stopped answering my phone and let all the calls that I don't recognize go to voice mail.
Caller ID info is easily falsified. The GPS location on your smartphone can also be faked. There's an app for that... https://trickstalks.com/best-fake-locat ... faker-app/
zen2010
Family Elder

Post by zen2010 »

Same here (I also get spam calls).
Some people spend a long time to explain they are not interested.
Some say to hold on, then wait until the guy hangs up=>I think this is kind of sadist.

I don't do that.
I'm a good human being.

I immediately hang up.
This is straight, fast, clean.
The animal does not suffer.
Music
Family Elder

Post by Music »

I've had 21 calls this morning starting at 7:30 and it's only 9am. We never answer numbers we don't know. No messages so far.

Okay, here's number 22........

Return to “Daily Life”