Career Change

A forum to talk about the general challenges of daily life with MS.
foreignlesion
Family Member

Career Change

Post by foreignlesion »

Work has been a struggle lately, as I am a chef with PPMS. Not exactly the best career for an MS sufferer as it is rated one of the most stressful careers and there's no way I could possibly keep myself cool. I've been feeling guilty at work for not living up to the requirements of my job and relying too much on my employees as I tend to more administrational duties. I need to make a career change, but I am having difficulty determining what direction to take. So far the option I am most comfortable with is to go back to university and become a dietitian. Anyone have any thoughts or ideas towards MS friendly occupations that may be of interest?
Where is fancy bred? In the heart or in the head?
jimmylegs
Volunteer Moderator

Post by jimmylegs »

i have a friend who is an ex-chef with epilepsy. the job did not work for his condition either.
he didn't want to go through all the years of university, but he was interested in doing something that tied in with his interest in food. he is signed up for a college course to become a dietetic technician, which could eventually lead to university but is a decent first step in the meantime.
here at TIMS, chrishasms may peek in here to let you know that his wife recently made a similar step - back to school for nutrition.
also my friend's family doc got dx'd with cancer and shortly thereafter he closed his practise to go to back to school for - yes, nutrition.
i think it's one of the wisest routes to take when your health is compromised, and it aligns perfectly with your prior experience and interest.
peekaboo
Family Elder

Post by peekaboo »

F. legion

Hi and welcome again. I am a PPMS'r and I used to be in the restruant business as a second career. I understand the demands of the job. One must be in the zone and be able to work fast when the demand is there. It is hard to not feel guilty for not keeping up ones duties. Depending on your duties and the place where you work, is doing admin that bad? Do your employees Respect You? Can your buy your time until you can find something that will sartiate your appetite as far as career goes? As JL mentioned would dietician be out of order? I have watched too many Gordon Ramsey episodes to say what about menu consultant etc. Write a cookbook etc.

Good eats Holly
foreignlesion
Family Member

Post by foreignlesion »

I can definitely bide my time there, they are very accommodating, but there are times when I have to push through harder than I should (a couple of weeks ago was grad week, and we did 8 nights straight of twelve hour shifts serving food for 1,000+ people each night.....hence why I'm not doing so well right now). Plus the lifestyle of a chef is not very conducive to the proper diet, exercise, sleep patterns, etc. needed for MS treatment. I'm worried if I continue for too long I will speed up the progression.
Where is fancy bred? In the heart or in the head?

Return to “Daily Life”