Tovaxin results

A board to discuss Tcelna as a treatment for Multiple Sclerosis
bromley
Family Elder

Tovaxin results

Post by bromley »

I hope this hasn't already been posted!

Favourable Two-Year Data in Phase I/II Retreatment Studies of Tovaxin® for Multiple Sclerosis 12 June 2008

Opexa Therapeutics, Inc. announced favourable safety and efficacy data for Tovaxin®, the Company’s investigational T-cell vaccination therapy for multiple sclerosis (MS), in the second year of open-label clinical retreatment studies in patients with MS.
The “intent to treat” population of 22 patients included 13 with relapsing remitting multiple sclerosis (RRMS) and nine with secondary progressive multiple sclerosis (SPMS). An analysis of disease progression of disability over a two year period, as measured by a 1.0 or greater change in Expanded Disability Scoring Scale (EDSS), showed that 27.3% of patients demonstrated sustained improvement, 59.1% had no disease progression and 13.6% experienced sustained worsening of disability. The improvement in the EDSS scores ranged from 1.0 to 4.5 (average 2.41). During the two-year study period 72.7% of patients remained relapse-free.

Brian Loftus, M.D., of Bellaire Neurology and the principal investigator of the studies, commented, “I’m pleased to see that subjects in the study experienced sustained positive clinical outcomes over the two-year period. It was especially encouraging to see a lack of disease progression in more than 86% of the patients after two years, given the later stage of disease of this subject population.”

The annualized relapse rate analysis of 17 patients (which excludes five patients with no prior relapses in their two-year pre-study baseline) showed Tovaxin therapy achieved an 82% reduction in annualized relapse rate (ARR) in patients over a two-year period (p<0.0001) to 0.21 relapses per year, compared with 1.38 relapses per year in the patients’ prior two-year baseline. For RRMS patients (n=12) the ARR over a two-year period was 0.26 relapses per year, compared with 1.63 relapses per year in the patients’ prior two-year baseline; for SPMS patients (n=5) the ARR over a two-year period was 0.10 relapses per year, compared with 0.80 relapses per year in the patients’ prior two-year baseline.

“Approximately three out of four patients re-treated in the second year exhibited a change in their myelin-reactive T-cell profile, which was the basis for producing their individualized T cell vaccine,” said David McWilliams, president and chief executive officer of Opexa. “We believe this new data supports the continuation of our development strategy of individually monitoring patients with our proprietary epitope analysis assay and re-treating them with a patient-specific therapeutic vaccine that associates with their clinical status.”

The combined analysis included patients participating in second-year extension protocols from the Phase I/II dose-escalation study and the Phase I/II re-treatment study, and 19 of 22 patients were re-treated with Tovaxin during the study period. Patients did not receive any other disease modifying therapies during the two-year study period.

Tovaxin was well-tolerated throughout the two-year study period. The safety profile revealed only mild-to-moderate injection site reactions and no serious adverse reactions related to T-cell vaccination.

Source: Opexa Therapeutics, Inc.