vitamin D?

A board to discuss Revimmune as a potential therapy for multiple sclerosis
RedPenguins
Family Elder

vitamin D?

Post by RedPenguins »

Does anyone know how much vitamin D (and what kind? d2 or d3??) the people who did hicy @ Rush are currently taking?

thanks,

keri
chrishasms
Family Elder

Post by chrishasms »

I use the D3 or as my wife puts it, "The good stuff."

How long was your turn around time Keri? Day in to release?
indigoinmotion
Family Member

Post by indigoinmotion »

Hi Chris,

I have been following your journey as well as Kerri's. You guys have given me a lot of hope for the future of ms treatment. I love reading about your progress! Maybe one day I'll join your ranks and consult a dr. at John Hopkins.
How much D3 do you take a day? I have been taking up to 10, 000 iu and it seems to be helping.

Thanks, karen: )
Curious11

Post by Curious11 »

I was told to take 5,000 IU's of Vitamin D (type was not specified) a day from my Neuro at Rush.
chrishasms
Family Elder

Post by chrishasms »

My wife as well as Jimmylegs will tell you the best kind and most easily absorbed is the D3.

Have you Vitamin D tested because more than likely it is low. Your GP will give you some killer Vitamin d to get you up to a normal range.

I take 2000iu a day at night for best absorption. This keeps me near 40.
prof8
Family Elder

Post by prof8 »

I did not have HiCy. However, I take 4,000 a day now. My big MS clinic likes to see their MS patients in the 60-80 range for Vitamin D. My regular GP said always take it with food as it is better absorbed with fat (even saltine crackers will do for "fat").
jimmylegs
Volunteer Moderator

Post by jimmylegs »

fyi you need to keep you magnesium and calcium intake up there to match 4000IU per day d3. i took d3 with mag and cal for oh, over a year i guess, but i did the mag aspect wrong at first and ended up having troubles because of it.
jbro
Family Member

I just started at a research hospital

Post by jbro »

Hello everybody. I have had chroinic progressive MS [not sure if primary or secondary] for 23 years. I was turned down by JH for the Revimmune procedure. I just started at a research hospital, Wash U. in StL, and I am not sure of what current studies are the most promising, and whether they are available to people with progressive, rather than R-R MS.

The JH people said Revimmune would not be good for me b/c I am too far along, but I have always wondered if it had more to do with the fact that I am not R-R, which studies seem to prefer.

One other question. I have noticed people here writing about vitamin D. Is that something everybody with MS shopuld be taking or is that to fight the side effects of a study process?
[/b]
daniel
Family Elder

Re: I just started at a research hospital

Post by daniel »

jbro wrote:
...snip...
One other question. I have noticed people here writing about vitamin D. Is that something everybody with MS shopuld be taking or is that to fight the side effects of a study process?
It seems that everyone with MS should be taking D3. My neurologist was/is running studies on vitamin D and it seems to cut down on relapses: http://www.webmd.com/multiple-sclerosis ... s-relapses

Edit: By everyone taking vitamin D, I mean everyone should get their blood levels tested and take enough supplements/get enough sunlight/tanning booth time to raise their levels to between 50–80 ng/mL (or 125–200 nM/L) as per http://www.vitamindcouncil.org/
AJWANTSACURE
Family Member

Post by AJWANTSACURE »

my neurologist gave me a script for vit D3 - 50,000 iu once a weeek.
<strong>STAY IN THE FIGHT TO FIND A CURE FOR MS</strong>
tashenoir
Getting to Know You...

Post by tashenoir »

5000 IU of D3.

:D