Terry Wahls and using a neuromusular Aide: The 300 PV EMP

Discuss physical medical devices that can be used to treat or improve MS symptoms
Daisy3
Family Elder

Terry Wahls and using a neuromusular Aide: The 300 PV EMP

Post by Daisy3 »

Has anyone on this site tried this?

She seems to have turned her illness round, would welcome anyone else's experiences on this. It seems like quite an extensive programme-an hour and a half a day of therapy, but seems worth it..
lyndacarol
Family Elder

Post by lyndacarol »

Daisy -- What a coincidence that you should post about this at this time! I have been considering this NMES device this week and plan to order one.

Being the "insulin girl." I think that Terry Wahls improved because her diet reduced her glucose and responding insulin. But I also think that the electrical stimulation device improved her muscle tone, which had to be poor previously because of her inactivity.

I have extremely poor muscle tone and am willing to try electrical stimulation to strengthen muscles. I'll let you know how it goes.

Edited 3/30/10 -- a prescription is required for this device. With one from my internist, I have ordered this device.
Last edited by lyndacarol on Wed Sep 08, 2010 6:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.
lyndacarol
Family Elder

Post by lyndacarol »

Based on my personal experience, at this time I do NOT recommend this Empi device. I have obtained one and make these observations: 1.The price was twice that quoted by Terry Wahls, M.D. -- $700 (self-pay) versus $350 as mentioned in her October presentation in Canada.

http://wildhorse.insinc.com/directms05oct2009/

2.The information on the Empi website and the manual that comes with the device are completely inadequate as instruction for properly administering electrical stimulation.

I agree with Dr. Wahls' suggestion that it is a good idea to see a trained physical therapist, at least at first.
Daisy3
Family Elder

Post by Daisy3 »

That is a shame...we were looking to purchase one.

Not quite sure what else to go for now!
lyndacarol
Family Elder

Post by lyndacarol »

My suggestion would be to see your physician, request an order for physical therapy (most offer this neuro-muscular electrical stimulation therapy), and give it a try.
Daisy3
Family Elder

Post by Daisy3 »

We've done that:-)

Their going to see if were suitable for electric stim therapy.

I thought everyone was suitable for it..
whyRwehere
Family Elder

Post by whyRwehere »

Any updates on the benefits or non benefits of this device?
lyndacarol
Family Elder

Post by lyndacarol »

I have an appointment to see a physical therapist on Friday and hope to discuss the use of neuromuscular electrical stimulation. I have written to Dr. Wahls, but have received no reply.

I will keep you posted.
lyndacarol
Family Elder

Post by lyndacarol »

I have completed about seven weeks with a physical therapist. In addition to ultrasound and exercises, neuromuscular electrical stimulation was used to reduce my spasms and build muscle tone; however, I have not observed any improvements, but will continue here at home with the unit I obtained.

I still have not received any response from Dr. Terry Wahls.
Daisy3
Family Elder

Post by Daisy3 »

How are things going with the unit you obtained LC?
lyndacarol
Family Elder

Post by lyndacarol »

Daisy 3, I apologize for not updating my situation with the e-stim device and Dr. Wahls.

I have corresponded with the doctor several times; I have registered for her newsletter at her website; I have obtained her book, Minding My Mitochondria (from Amazon). She has shared the details of her clinical trial, currently underway. I have great faith that the trial outcomes will be positive. I am attempting to follow her diet recommendations; I use the Empi device, even at the top intensity setting of 25, have seen no improvement in muscle tone or symptoms with the electrical unit. I anticipate that the diet will have the greater effect.

I will try to do better in the future about posting any improvement.
Daisy3
Family Elder

Post by Daisy3 »

Thanks LC,

The reason why I brought up the subject of that machine again is because were getting round to ticking off all the other things on our list now. Training with some sort of electrical machine is on that list.
You mentioned the liver. Were looking at acupuncture for my husbands nystagmus, reading up on it,they talk about 'internal wind' which means they believe the liver is implicated and should be treated. This is what they do. Will tell you if anything interesting happens!
Liberation
Family Elder

Post by Liberation »

Last edited by Liberation on Wed Jan 27, 2021 6:47 am, edited 1 time in total.
lyndacarol
Family Elder

Post by lyndacarol »

Liberation – I suggest that you consult the website, www.TerryWahls.org and get a copy of her book, Minding My Mitochondria and contact her directly at:

Terry L. Wahls, MD, MBA
VA Iowa City VAMC
U of I Carver College of Medicine
601 Highway 6 West
Iowa City, IA 52246

for the details of her regimen. In brief, the diet allows NO sugar, and it does require LOTS of dark green leafy vegetables; a very limited amount of starchy vegetables is allowed.

As to the neuromuscular electrical stimulation, I am sure that she will advise you to see a physical therapist.

Her clinical trial (phase 1) began in the summer; she plans to publish the results; I expect those will be available by fall. She spoke to me of plans for a phase 2 trial – perhaps you would qualify to participate in that.
Daisy3
Family Elder

Post by Daisy3 »

woud participation depend on how bad you were to begin with? My other half has tried the bioness. It does nothing for him mainly cos he walks better then what the machine deals with. However, when he tires and stumbles,the machine is still unable to offer any sort of aid.
Were beginning to think his problem is something else,not just footdrop.