Chronic Pain and pain pump

Discuss physical medical devices that can be used to treat or improve MS symptoms
keepbattling

Chronic Pain and pain pump

Post by keepbattling »

I had a pump implanted on 10/5. My doctor claimed that I would get my life back free of taking oral pain meds. So far, over a month, and I have little to no relief from the pump. My doctor doesn't want me back on the orals b/c she figures I've already detoxed from them. I have extensive chronic pain in my left leg. She put Dilaudid in my pump about 2 weeks ago, and I haven't noticed any difference. My leg feels just as bad if not worse then it did prior to the implant. I am going back (been going 2x a week) to the doc tomorrow. She said she is going to up my meds in the pump. I had a UA and the drugs weren't even showing in my urine. I have gotten to the point where I am going to ask her about removing the pump or find another doctor who understands that pain relief is why I'm going there and lately I haven't had any. Does anyone else have any ideas for pain relief. Have experience with a pump. Know of a good pain management doctor in the phoenix area.. Im desperate at this point .. I am sick of hurting
<strong>Keep up the Battle, One day we will win</strong><br /><br />Your Friend, <br />Rod Covert <br />Rodcovert@gmail.com<br />
zenhead
Getting to Know You...

Re: Chronic Pain and pain pump

Post by zenhead »

i have a baclofen pump to deal with severe spasticity. unchecked, it gets excruciating. like for you, i'm sure, in order for the oral meds to work (which they often don't) i have to take so much my brain can't function. after 6 months, i think the pump is adjusted as well as it can be, but when it gets hot or cold, or if i am especially tired, stressed, etc., i still have to take oral baclofen. my conclusion? nothing is perfect, and after a certain point, i just have to cope. (i realize this is a very old thread, but maybe it's still active.)
be kind whenever possible.
it is always possible.
-dalai lama
Cammie
Family Member

Re: Chronic Pain and pain pump

Post by Cammie »

This is discouraging, because I have been thinking of asking for a pain pump. The system has now become very tough on oral pain patients, always threatening to discontinue our meds and and leave us hanging cold turkey over the slightest infraction of pain clinic rules (even when it's not your fault). It sounds like a pump would be a less stressful way to get pain relief, but not if the pain relief never comes! I hope things did get worked out.