I need a walkaide

Discuss physical medical devices that can be used to treat or improve MS symptoms
jaswadd32

I need a walkaide

Post by jaswadd32 »

Hello my name is Jasmine and i was diagnosed with MS in 2015. I suffer from left leg weakness, and left footdrop. Does anyone know when i can find a low cost walkaide device so i can continue to raise and have fun with my 3 daughters, my footdrop makes it very hard for me to get things done.
ElliotB
Family Elder

Re: I need a walkaide

Post by ElliotB »

"Does anyone know when i can find a low cost walkaide device"

Since these require specialized programming and supplies from the manufacturer, and typically they will not help those who buy these devices used, there are really no options for a low cost walkaide device.

BUT...

There are many exercises you can do right at home for leg weakness and drop foot that will likely be effective for you. These can be done without any specialized equipment or with low cost, easy to acquire gear. You can get lots of info on both these options on the web and YouTube.

Yes, it will take lots of time and hard, hard work but the results you get should be worth your effort.
jaswadd32

Post by jaswadd32 »

I'm actually already doing pt at the pt office and at home already and they're not really working for me, that's why I'm looking for walkaide options
ElliotB
Family Elder

Post by ElliotB »

Whether you get a Walkaide or not, exercise should be an important element to your treatment. You may not yet have found the most efficient exercise(s) to help you. I do a lot of exercise and only realized recently that the exercises I was doing where not targeting my specific muscle weaknesses. I too have left leg weakness. I have and continue to adjust my exercise program to target the weakened muscles in my left leg. My progressive weakness has been a result of almost six years of improper walking and inadequate exercise to counteract the many issues I have experienced.

If the exercises you are doing are not helping you, change the exercises you are doing. Consider:

http://www.themsgym.com/

which is an online service that specializes in helping those with MS and the type of issues you are experiencing. I also recommend the use of a vertical climber, an inexpensive exercise machine that I find targets my weekend left muscles better than any other exercise I do. Someone here on TIMS posted info on this service recently and signed up for it.

I also just found this recumbent exercise machine which I am considering getting:

https://teeter.com/product/freestep/

Although I have an elliptical and a stationery bike, I find neither targets the muscles I need strengthened and think this one will do a better job as the leg motion is different. It seems to offer a more natural walking/stepping motion than other machines.

You can see a video demonstration of the machine here:

Take a close look at the foot/ankle movement in the video, this is unlike any other exercise equipment I have seen.

Here is a link to the manufacturer's website detailing this product:

https://teeter.com/product/freestep/
Last edited by ElliotB on Sun Mar 10, 2019 2:44 pm, edited 7 times in total.
jaswadd32

Post by jaswadd32 »

Okay thank you I will search both of the things that you told me about today
Peagibbody

Post by Peagibbody »

Are you still looking for a walkaide?
mchep123

Post by mchep123 »

I have a used walkaide that I’m selling. It works well and I will throw in the 7 sets of electrodes for $3500
schuylercole

Post by schuylercole »

WalkAide 20-1000 for sale $2500
Lightly used, excellent condition
Electrodes included