Foot up

Discuss physical medical devices that can be used to treat or improve MS symptoms
Davis
Getting to Know You...

Foot up

Post by Davis »

The name of the device is Foot Up. The price is about $150.00. Has anyone used this device? If you have used it, do you see any improvement?
mrhodes40
Family Elder

Post by mrhodes40 »

I found it seemed overly expensive as there is a cheaper one that woked better for me called the X strap or dorsi strap for 39 dollars USD

http://www.elderstore.com/dorsi-strap-f ... -drop.aspx

The dorsi strap worked better in my case because it criss crosses the foot so the pull up is better/stronger and it is more adjustable because it is attached to the ankle wrap by velcro, so you put it where it works best for you. Although it looks like it might be, the dorsi strap is not elastic, once you strap up your ankle in it, the foot is fixed in a flexed position. It also can be easily undone for your comfort if you are in the car or something sitting still instead of walking .

OTOH, the 'foot up' device has a very small piece of elastic that goes between the toe piece and your ankle. It should be "better" in the sense that it does allow the ankle to move a little along with the elastic, but I found the elastic too weak to be truly helpful, and the ankle part of it kept frustratingly "popping" off, so I'd be walking along and all of a sudden the device would be flapping loose from my shoe.

I have purchased both the foot up and the dorsi strap as well as an articulated AFO that the physical therapy people recommended, by far the one I like the best is the dorsi strap. I absolutely hate the articulated brace. 1,000 dollars too! It feels like a ski boot on my leg down there!

I actually never leave the house without my dorsi strap on my ankle.

If you have very mild foot drop, the foot up with its elastic might be a better thing because it still allows movement, but if you are very drop footed as I am you may find it too weak to be truly helpful.

I hope that helps.
chrishasms
Family Elder

Post by chrishasms »

Hey I got a question for you...I use the Walkaide but, if I got to do something on my hands and kness it can be really cumbersome...aka up down for a oil change. This thing would be perfect for it! Does it stick to socks or do you need to get the cuff too?
mrhodes40
Family Elder

Post by mrhodes40 »

Get the cuff too. It might stick to socks but they also would stretch which would not be good, and they slide around your ankle. Just get the whole thing. I too thought maybe I could buy extra straps or make one...but the materials are too expensive and it works well, so I have it and am thinking about another color ie black for dressier wear. I got the heavy duty one feeling my drop foot was "strong" (I'm spastic) and I would not want the lesser one for me...... hope it help Chris
Sharon
Family Elder

Post by Sharon »

Chris -

I used the dorsi-strap before getting the WalkAide. I occasionally still use the dorsi-strap if I am wearing tie shoes (i.e. tennis). It is much easier to deal with when you are on your knees. I use it when working out in the garden.

A question for you Chris - how are you doing going up stairs with the WalkAide?

Sharon
chrishasms
Family Elder

Post by chrishasms »

It's going OK for me. I'm no good at stairs though. It does not hinder me.
David1949
Family Elder

Re: Foot up

Post by David1949 »

I just received my "Ossur Foot-Up" foot orthosis. This is a pretty simple but ingenious device.

It costs about $100 and it helps with my drop foot problem. I think it works as well as the custom made $800 AFO I've had for several years
There are two u-tube videos made by a woman who uses one on each foot.

It shows her walking with and without the Foot-up. It makes a big difference for her.

My old AFO holds my foot perpendicular to the lower leg, which keeps the foot from dropping, but doesn't actually lift the foot. The Ossur Foot-up has an elastic strap which lifts the foot. (tips it up)

I've only had it for a few day but here is my assessment so far:

Advantages
1) It works. When I walk without it, my left foot drags. My steps sound like this; Step slide, step slide. With the Foot-up it's just step, step, step.
2) It's very inexpensive compared to custom made AFOs or any of the electric muscle stimulators.
3) No electric shocks and no batteries.
4) You don't need a prescription to buy it.
5) It is very light weight and comfortable, although it irritates my ankle if I wear it all day.

Disadvantages
1) It may not be durable. The lady in the video said the ankle wrap lasts about 4-6 months, and the insert lasts about 1-2 months. The inserts currently cost about $25.
2) It doesn't lift as much as I'd like.
3) It is difficult to attach the strap to the ankle wrap if you adjust it for maximum lift. For people who have weak hands that could be a problem.
4) You must wear it with shoes that lace all the way down like jogging shoes. (There is now a shoeless wrap available but I haven't tried it so I can't say anything about it)

It's available online at several sources. The best price I've found is about $90. here: http://www.braceshop.com/productcart/pc ... -14p19.htm

I can't say it's the greatest thing since sliced bread but it definitely helps me. It's worth a try if you can afford to part with a hundred bucks.

Disclosure: I'm not affiliated in any way with the makers or sellers of this device and I received no compensation for this article.