Question about immune reaction to the cold or flu

A board to discuss the Multiple Sclerosis modifying drug Copaxone
Lo
Family Member

Question about immune reaction to the cold or flu

Post by Lo »

This may be a dumb question, but given that Copax changes the balance of T cells from inflamatory to antiinflamatory, does the body then react differently to a cold or flu as a result of the change? Does your body still fight the invading virus? Do you feel differently when you get a virus? Any input is appreciated, especially from those of you on Copax for a while. Thanks.
Alexandra
Family Member

flu

Post by Alexandra »

I am on Avonex for 5 weeks now and about 10 days ago I got a flu as I don't remember having since I was a child. My temperature went extremelly high under 1gram of panadol and antibiotics and ended up in emergency room to reduce the fever. The doctors are telling me is not because the medicine is killing my immunity, but I am not so sure about that....hope we get more opinions about this from people under treatment for a long time
Absentee
Family Member

Post by Absentee »

I did not think that was what Copax did - where do you see that? I've had a great immune response since being on the stuff (1.5 years)
Lo
Family Member

Post by Lo »

Copaxone's mechanism is discussed in:
The Chemistry of Copaxone, Arnon, Ruth and Sela, Michael, Department of Immunology, Weizmann Institute of Science
which can be read at:
http://www.weizmann.ac.il/ICS/booklet/1/pdf/copaxon.pdf
Lo
Family Member

Post by Lo »

Has anyone else experienced a change in the way your body reacts to the cold or flu since being on Copaxone?
daverestonvirginia
Family Elder

Post by daverestonvirginia »

I am still not sure if they really know how Copaxone works. I have been on it for quite a few years now and have not noticed any changes with how my body reacts to a cold or the flu.