Traveling with coaxone?

A board to discuss the Multiple Sclerosis modifying drug Copaxone
shucks
Family Elder

Traveling with coaxone?

Post by shucks »

I am flying to chicago to meet with dr burt about his trial on Monday, and since I take coaxone! I am wondering about taking it in a carry on bag on the plane. Anyone have experience with this? I don't fly often and would like any advice anyone has.
"A gun is a tool, Marian; no better or no worse than any other tool: an axe, a shovel or anything. A gun is as good or as bad as the man using it. Remember that." -- Shane

Who is John Galt?
MarkLavelle
Family Elder

Re: Traveling with coaxone?

Post by MarkLavelle »

Haven't traveled w/Copaxone yet myself, but by all reports you just need to have the Rx label (from the cardboard box) on hand when you go through inspection.

RRMS dx 3/3/11; Copaxone since 12/1/11
daverestonvirginia
Family Elder

Post by daverestonvirginia »

I have traveled quite a bit while on Copaxone. I have never had any trouble taking the copaxone in a carry on, on the plane. I do keep a Rx label (from the cardboard box) with me, but know one has ever asked to see it.
Loriyas
Family Elder

Re: Travaing with coaxone?

Post by Loriyas »

I also travel with Copaxone. I have never had anyone ask me about it. I guess they think it is the same as if a diabetic carries insulin. If you want to take the prescription from the box with you that would be fine. I used to do that but haven't lately and still no one asks. And I have never gone through the body scanner. I refuse it. So I guess I would be more "suspicious" than someone who does. And I still get no questions about the Copaxone.
shucks
Family Elder

Post by shucks »

Just got through 4 airports with it with no probs. Thanks guys
"A gun is a tool, Marian; no better or no worse than any other tool: an axe, a shovel or anything. A gun is as good or as bad as the man using it. Remember that." -- Shane

Who is John Galt?
Loriyas
Family Elder

Post by Loriyas »

I like your tagline "who is John Galt?".
bpmsrider

Post by bpmsrider »

Been through plenty of airports even international from US to Mexico without so much as having been asked about it. I do cut the top off the box and fold it around the syringes so I have a label clearly identifying the drug and owner on it if there ever was an issue.
A2Wolvie

Post by A2Wolvie »

I've traveled quite a bit with Copaxone. I went to Jamaica about a year ago, and have traveled to New Orleans and Atlanta since then. Every time I've placed it in my carry on luggage, and not once have the baggage screeneners even mentioned it.
LR1234
Family Elder

Post by LR1234 »

I got a letter from Evolution who deliver my copaxone (I am sure its a different company in the States)
I never had to show it but I felt safer knowing I had it just in case. I also got a letter from my GP the time before.
kensmith59

Post by kensmith59 »

Call Copaxone and ask for a travel kit if you haven't done so. The travel kits are nice and they are free. I travel to France quite often (my wife is French).
wesley199

Post by wesley199 »

My fiance uses copaxone. All she had to do was keep it in her clear travel kit that the "shared solutions" people sent her and kept it in her carry-on, and she was all good.
Bouncycat
Getting to Know You...

Post by Bouncycat »

I have been on numerous flights, many international with copaxone. I am very strict though that is not go through the xray. All but once i have had no trouble at all and they have just done a hand check. I also carry the gel cool pack with it and the auoinject in the travel case. I take the syringes out, hand them to the officer and tell them the rest can go through xray if they want - most of the time they say it is okay. Once, in Heathrow, i got opposition about the needles not going through the xray, i stood my ground and showed them the card from Shared Solutions that says it should not be go through the xray and he eventually agreed to not xray it.

I also carry a letter from my neuro stating that it is a prescription medication and is necessary to keep with me at all times, had their contact on it and i just hand that over first off so i don't actually have to do any explaining about why i have them (it also mentiones in the letter that cool packs may be required which has been handy since the no liquid rules).

For anyone thinking of travelling I would recomend getting a letter to carry with you (mine is a year old and it is still okay - you don't have to get a new one each trip) just in case you come up against an awkward security officer as there are some out there :roll:
DizzyDean
Family Member

Post by DizzyDean »

I've traveled extensively throughout not only the US, but also Europe, Asia, and the Middle East without issues. Several times an officer has looked inside my copaxone travel box, but no issues. I do keep a copy of my prescription label on the outside of the box, and I do carry a letter from my neuro - but nobody has ever asked about it.

Are you aware of an issue with x-raying copaxone? Shared Solutions FAQ specifically says that they aren't aware of any issues.

http://www.sharedsolutions.com/Get-Answ ... efaqs.aspx

Return to “Copaxone”