Horrible pain as soon as medication started going in

A board to discuss the Multiple Sclerosis modifying drug Copaxone
Llaczkowski

Horrible pain as soon as medication started going in

Post by Llaczkowski »

I have been on copaxone now almost 4 months and had the usual stinging afterwards bruises and welts but the other night I got the auto injector ready for my stomach and went to put it in, needle goes in and medication starts.... I could NOT finish it, it hurt SO BAD i ended up pulling the needle out and medication went everywhere!!!!! it felt like the usual stinging but 1000x's worse!!! I seriously thought my boyfriend would have to call ambulance it hurt I was screaming and felt i was going to have a heart attack which i have heard of, but Im confused on to why this happened with the horrible pain as soon as medication started going in.... please help someone. looking for answers....... I have not given it since cause im so scared for that to ever happen again :sad:
MarkLavelle
Family Elder

Re: Horrible pain as soon as medication started going in

Post by MarkLavelle »

No expertise, no answers, but some questions...

Did you wait long enough for alcohol to dry (if you used it)?

Has your C been refrigerated until a few days before injection? Did you look to see if the liquid inside was clear?
Was this the first shot from a new batch?

No matter what your answers are, you should probably call SS...

Best of luck,
Mark

RRMS dx 3/3/11; Copaxone since 12/1/11
LR1234
Family Elder

Post by LR1234 »

My guess is that you have injected in that exact area not too long ago and somewhere under the skin is one of those lumps that forms....when you try and inject into one of those lumps it does exactly what you have said bl**dy hurts!!!!!
I inject manually and I know when I am hitting one of those lumps as the copaxone will not go in properly and hurts so I just pull out a bit and inject.
Llaczkowski

Post by Llaczkowski »

I did not use alcohol, it was room temp, same batch as I was using before. Im guess it was that I already injected there maybe not too long ago, its hard for me to know exactly where i injected last but im going to call SS and see what they say cause I have not injected myself since cause Im so scared that will happen again and I never want that :sad: . thank you both for your insight though ! :smile:
Froggie
Family Elder

Post by Froggie »

Do you keep a journal of your injections? I think SS has a good one that you can request from them if you don't already have one. You can keep track of exactly where you injected and whether or not it was a good spot. I also look for "landmarks" such as freckles, birthmarks and scars to guide me as well. Hang in there!
merblair

Post by merblair »

The first time I injected into my abdomen I was standing up - OUCH! I never made that mistake again!
Sarahebeth

Post by Sarahebeth »

Hey, I'm new to Copaxone (and new to MS, for that matter) and have been on Copaxone about as long as you. I find that my stomach hurts the worst at the time of injection. I get horrible shooting pains after the injection. I've never pulled it back out, though. Did it burn your skin when it squirted out after you pulled it out? That's my fear. So sorry you had that experience.