Shattered syringe with Autoject

A board to discuss the Multiple Sclerosis modifying drug Copaxone
mccpm
Getting to Know You...

Shattered syringe with Autoject

Post by mccpm »

Hi, day 4 of Copaxone. Injected into right hip. I pushed the trigger button and fired. Watching the window go down but then I noticed a sharper pain than usual from the 1st three days and then the yellow line stopped moving. I kept it held firmly in my skin for about 30 seconds with no movement. Finally pulled it out to discover the syringe had shattered around the neckline and was jammed in the firing capsule. This caused the needle to get inserted flush with my skin with no allowance for settings or anything. Anyone else ever have this experience? I called SS and they said it does happen and could be a defective Autoject. They are sending me 2 replacements overnight mail. I'm curious if this might be user error or a defective injecter. Any thoughts anyone has to avoid this situation would be appreciated as I would like to avoid pushing that needle in flush with my skin again. Needless to say tonights application was a little nerve wracking when I pushed the trigger!!
daverestonvirginia
Family Elder

Re: Shattered syringe with Autoject

Post by daverestonvirginia »

I have been on Copaxone for about 8 years and I have had the shattered head of the syringe happen about half a dozen times over the years. So although it can and does happen it has not happen very often for me.
mccpm
Getting to Know You...

Re: Shattered syringe with Autoject

Post by mccpm »

Hi all. Folowing up on my post from 14 months ago. I did the Copaxone run and after the incident with the shattered syringe it never happened again. Probably due to user error. Would just like to clear that up as I would like to try to be a responsible poster as I leave behind the breadcrumbs that I have learned from my experience.

I wonder sometimes if some things that people post just get left on boards and then they take on a life of their own?!

Hope you all are well. Sorry for the delay in rectifying my post! Overall I found Copaxone to be a good drug after initial adjustment phase. It halted lesions in my brain although unfortunately we found a new one in my neck so neuro is having me switch to Tysabri.

Return to “Copaxone”