Copaxone at 40 ml

A board to discuss the Multiple Sclerosis modifying drug Copaxone
Loriyas
Family Elder

Copaxone at 40 ml

Post by Loriyas »

For those who have already switched to the new dosing would you mind sharing any thoughts on it? I am specifically interested in hearing about side effects. I know this is a very new dosing change but would like to hear from anyone who has done it. Thank you.
Last edited by Loriyas on Thu Sep 18, 2014 3:28 pm, edited 3 times in total.
milesap
Family Elder

Re: Copaxone at 40 mg

Post by milesap »

I think its total TEVA bs. Just an attempt to go every other day to 40 MG so they can avoid the generic drug that will give them competition. Wont be surprised that insurance companies in the US will force you to use the generic version.
MarkLavelle
Family Elder

Post by MarkLavelle »

milesap wrote:Wont be surprised that insurance companies in the US will force you to use the generic version.
Shouldn't they, if daily works just as well and (eventually) costs less? Personally, I'm looking forward to that.

RRMS dx 3/3/11; Copaxone since 12/1/11
Quest56
Family Elder

Post by Quest56 »

Loriyas wrote:For those who have already switched to the new dosing would you mind sharing any thoughts on it? I am specifically interested in hearing about side effects. I know this is a very new dosing change but would like to hear from anyone who has done it. Thank you.
I've used 20mg copaxone for about 17 years now. I was switched for one month to the 40mg dose. I didn't like the added complication of remembering to take it only 3 times per week, I also noticed a larger lump formation at injection sites which lasted longer but eventually went away. I'm now back on the 20mg dose, the 40mg dose isn't on my drug provider's formulary so I was only initially approved for a 1-month supply.
Loriyas
Family Elder

Post by Loriyas »

Thank you questor. That is the kind of information I am looking for. I have been on Copaxone for 11 years and have a lot of lipoatrophy. I suspected that the doubling of the dose may increase that. I also have heard that compliance is an issue with the every other day dosing schedule.
Cammie
Family Member

Post by Cammie »

I am looking forward to injecting only 3x/wk. My skin is a mess from every day, and I rotated like they said. I don't think I'll have trouble with remembering to shoot three times/wk. My husband will help me remember the schedule.
skm

Post by skm »

Switched to 40 mg 6 weeks ago =UGH. Realized lost my appetite, anxiety, inability to sleep well and mood swings all coincide with change. After 14 years on the 20 very glad to switch back and last 2 years only do that every other day! Found a post from another with same reactions so now don't feel quite so crazy!!!!
cheerleader
Family Elder

Post by cheerleader »

Hi Loriyas--
Jeff tried the switch to 40mg. (after 7 uneventful years on 20mg) but ended up with nausea and sleep problems, which abated when he stopped injecting for several days, and came back when he gave it one more try. The dosage was the only thing that had changed in his routine. He's going to go back to 20mg. after seeing his neuro.
cheer
Husband dx RRMS 3/07
dx dual jugular vein stenosis (CCSVI) 4/09
http://ccsviinms.blogspot.com
Loriyas
Family Elder

Post by Loriyas »

Thank you Cheer,
When I saw the neuro at Vanderbilt on my yearly check up he offered Copaxone 40 ml. I declined and told him I wanted to stay on 20 ml.

I also see a local neuro with whom I just made an appointment for my yearly check up with her. Her nurse told me that she was switching all Copaxone patients to 40 ml. I again declined. The nurse seemed surprised. I will discuss with doctor when I see her.

Here are my thoughts: I do not want to change anything as I am currently doing quite well and don't want to "upset the apple cart" so to speak :)

I also wondered about this: 20 ml x 7 days = 140 ml per week
However 40 ml x 3 days = 120 ml per week
Going with that calculation a patient would be getting 20 ml less per week with the new dosing schedule.
I have always been told "don't skip a day". However, I think that may not be as big an issue as Teva has always made it out to be.
I have often skipped a day, perhaps one out of 10 days.
Jborkowskidesigns

Re: Copaxone at 40 ml

Post by Jborkowskidesigns »

I switched to the 40 mg about 5 months ago and am switching back to 20mg which I had been on for almost 2 years without any issues. The biggest issue was surely the injection pain and site reaction. I didn't have these issues with the 20mg, once I got used to taking them. I was to the point where my injections barely hurt or bubbled up at all. I also notice that I feel worse the past few months. My MS doesn't really affect me, but the few issues I have, have definitely been worse.
Loriyas
Family Elder

Post by Loriyas »

Jborkowskidesigns wrote:I switched to the 40 mg about 5 months ago and am switching back to 20mg which I had been on for almost 2 years without any issues. The biggest issue was surely the injection pain and site reaction. I didn't have these issues with the 20mg, once I got used to taking them. I was to the point where my injections barely hurt or bubbled up at all. I also notice that I feel worse the past few months. My MS doesn't really affect me, but the few issues I have, have definitely been worse.

Thank you! Very good to know!
Loriyas
Family Elder

Post by Loriyas »

Ok it has been a year since I asked the question "how are people doing who switched to 40 ml dosing 3 times per week?" I am wondering now how those who did so within this past year are currently doing? Glad you switched? Or did you switch back to 20 ml? Side effects? Issues?