just curious

A board to discuss the Multiple Sclerosis modifying drug Copaxone
jerrygallow
Family Elder

just curious

Post by jerrygallow »

for those on Copaxone, why do you take it and why does your neuro prescribe it? I'm not trying to be negative here. But this is a drug that leaves bruises, requires a daily shot, (ouch), and as far as we know from the research, does a whole lot of nothing. The FDA clearly states in the prescribing guidelines (heck it's even on the wikipedia page), that this drug does NOT delay disability. Sooooo, why would you take it? Isn't it malpractice to prescribe a drug that we know doesn't work when there are others out there that do? And why would you say hey, I know this drug is only half as effective at reducing lesions, and does nothing to reduce my slide to disability, but I'll take it. hmm. Doesn't make any sense to me.
ElliotB
Family Elder

Re: just curious

Post by ElliotB »

The simple answer is that some of your facts are likely flawed in their premise, that Copaxone likely does work for many (I believe it does for me) and that fewer relapses, even if it is just one fewer, is a good thing.
aetex
Family Member

Post by aetex »

First off, wikipedia is not a reliable source, but if you really like the wiki entry, keep in mind that even it states hat the follow up to the clinical trials did show a decrease in progression of disability (this can not be included in the prescribing notes because it was a follow up, not the actual trial and only randomized control trials were used for the approval of this medication).

Furthermore- In a 15 year study of copaxone, 80% of patients were walking after 15 years of treatment (average disease span of 22 years). There was a 78% reduction in the annual relapse rate. Majority of patients reported improved or stable disability status.

In comparison to the alternatives, the risks of a few bruises is much less to deal with than liver damage and consistent flu symptoms. I don't really mind a 10 second injection 3 times a week. That is literally 30 seconds of inconvenience and I am absolutely willing to face that, if it means there is a chance this nightmare disease will remain at bay.

It is not for everyone, this is why there are so many choices. My neurologist follows my case closely and is willing to switch my medications at any point if it is not working for me. I have a lot of things happening in my life right now, and choosing the medication that appears in some statistics as less effective is actually a good choice, because the "stronger" meds would prevent me from living my life in a happy, healthy and productive way through the presence of side effects that I am, simply, not willing to put up with right now.
Loriyas
Family Elder

Post by Loriyas »

I am curious as to why you would ask this question? It seems like a challenge. Many of us do find that Copaxone works for us. Many of us cannot take or do not want to take other DMDs. I am willing to inject subcutaneously but not intra muscularly. I am not ready to try any of the newer DMDs. The few bruises and the lipoatrophy are things I am willing to deal with for the chance that Copaxone slows my MS. My choice. By the way, based on an exorbitant amount of research.
daverestonvirginia
Family Elder

Post by daverestonvirginia »

I have been taking copaxone for almost 10 years now. I take it because it has no side effects to speak of, minor red mark every so often. Giving myself the shots are no problem. I am in very good health and I do not plan to switch meds until they can be proven to be safe. Also take vitamins and am on the Best Bet Diet and exercise daily.

Return to “Copaxone”