syringes and armpits

A board to discuss the Multiple Sclerosis modifying drug Copaxone
connieb
Family Member

syringes and armpits

Post by connieb »

Does anyone bring their Copaxone syringe to body temperature by holding it under the armpit for a few minutes before injecting? I seem to remember reading some posts saying that this practice helps with site reactions, but of course I can't find them right now.
Lizzy
Getting to Know You...

Post by Lizzy »

i do that if i forget to take it out the night before - i also try to take shots out of the fridge 3-4 at a time so they are ready to go. Also depends on where i am shooting - some places much more sensative than others.
gracie

Post by gracie »

I don't have much experience at this but I find that the syringe doesn't feel much warmer when just left out so I warm it by holding it in my hand for a while before injecting. This was suggested by my MS nurse and she did say that it'd help with site reactions but I'm still having them but it's too early for me to make any judgements (only 2 weeks).

Never considered the armpit for heating the syringe though, that might do an even better job so I'll give that a go!
oreo
Family Elder

Post by oreo »

I'm on Rebif, but that is exactly what I do and I have very little site reaction issues. I never really expected to find a pratical use for an armpit. Just goes to show you.
Carpe Diem
Catherine_The_Great

four days

Post by Catherine_The_Great »

one of the things to settle site reactions is to warm the viles up for four days or more and it's supposed to help with site reactions.

I've kept it out for a few days and it's made things a lot better and a lot easier.

Catherine
TammiGF

Post by TammiGF »

My DD (newly diagnosed) has started warming them under her arm. She told her neuro this yesterday, and the woman a disapproving, distasteful face. Glad to know others of you have found this a convenient way to warm it up, too. It seemed like a good practical idea to me. Thank you for the suggestion to keep it out a few days before injection.
philippa

Post by philippa »

My neuro nurse said that Copaxone would sting less if it were at room temperature. I'm guessing that what's really needed is blood temperature.

Now I'm - er - generously endowed around the bust, and tuck the syringe underneath a breast - the nurse didn't seem to object, and it certainly gets the syringe nice and warm. Only thing to watch is that when I take it out I have to be sure that the cap doesn't off!

p
daverestonvirginia
Family Elder

Post by daverestonvirginia »

I just did it last night. Forgot to take out a dose the day before, so under the arm for couple minutes, seems to do the trick.

Return to “Copaxone”