Copaxone and Lipoatrophy (skin indentations)

A board to discuss the Multiple Sclerosis modifying drug Copaxone
NHE
Volunteer Moderator

Re: Copaxone and Lipoatrophy (skin indentations)

Post by NHE »

Kgentry wrote:I have been injecting Copaxone 3 times a week since August. I'm a runner and very active so I really don't have a ton of fat on my body. I've been injecting and rotating areas the best I could but I noticed two nights ago that I have lipoatrophy on my right leg. It is not very bad at this point but it did concern me. I really don't want my body looking like I've been running through a hailstorm for the rest of my life. I've been trying to read up to see if there was something that could reverse it but there are not many positive thoughts on that. Then I thought what about using a fasciablaster. I know that sounds completely bizarre but aren't you just breaking up the fat cells when you use that? Wouldn't it be best to use it so that it will move everything around and possibly smooth out your skin?
The Copaxone prescribing information has the following to say about lipoatrophy.

https://www.copaxone.com/Resources/pdfs ... mation.pdf
5.3 Lipoatrophy and Skin Necrosis
At injection sites, localized lipoatrophy and, rarely, injection site skin necrosis may occur. Lipoatrophy occurred in approximately 2% of patients exposed to COPAXONE 20 mg per mL in the 5 placebo-controlled trials compared to none on placebo, and 0.5% of patients exposed to COPAXONE 40 mg per mL in a single placebo-controlled trial and none on placebo. Skin necrosis has only been observed in the postmarketing setting. Lipoatrophy may occur at various times after treatment onset (sometimes after several months) and is thought to be permanent. There is no known therapy for lipoatrophy. To assist in possibly minimizing these events, the patient should be advised to follow proper injection technique and to rotate injection sites with each injection.
Section 13.1 also states...
Glatiramer acetate was clastogenic in two separate in vitro chromosomal aberration assays in cultured human lymphocytes but not clastogenic in an in vivo mouse bone marrow micronucleus assay.
Clastogenic means that it was found to cause breaks in DNA. It has been my hypothesis that this clastogenesis might induce lipoatrophy through an apoptotic process.