DrSclafani answers some questions

A forum to discuss Chronic Cerebrospinal Venous Insufficiency and its relationship to Multiple Sclerosis.
Cece
Family Elder

Re: DrSclafani answers some questions

Post by Cece »

Hi deezl!
While we wait for Dr. Sclafani, here is something he's said in the past about CT scans:
http://www.thisisms.com/forum/chronic-c ... ml#p102006
When risk of catheter studies is high, or when prevelence of idsease is low, both [MRV and CT scans] are excellent methods of imaging veins.

However they are inferior to contrast venography for most vein studies.
The prevalence of CCSVI in MS is high, although this is debatable, but this is Dr. Sclafani's thread and he's found CCSVI in about 99% of his MS patients. (The exception is worth looking at. There was one patient in about 200 who had healthy veins. He suggested at the time that the patient might pursue testing for Lyme disease.)

If the risk involved in the venogram is indeed low and the prevalence of CCSVI in MS is indeed sky-high, it might be worth having a full contrast venogram done despite the lack of evidence in the imaging, since the imaging is inferior to a catheter study.
newlywed4ever
Family Elder

Post by newlywed4ever »

Cece wrote:*bump*
:)
Yeah, I don't recall ever seeing this thread on Page 2 of CCSVI... :!:
drsclafani
Family Elder

Re: Re:

Post by drsclafani »

cheerleader wrote:
drsclafani wrote: thanks, excellent
It surprises me that external veins like the condylar emissary vein would flow INTO the head.
since i have begun starting all procedures from the transverse sinuses, i have noted three patterns in patients with ccsvi
1. enormous condylar veins draining into the posterior neck muscles and the vertebral veins
2. completely nonvisualized condylar veins
3. small condylar veins
I have never seen a condylar vein drain into the brain

Trying to understand why some patients have very large and others have very small condylar and other emissary veins is perplexing.
perhaps prenatal jugular malformations result in large emissary canals.
perhaps jugular stenoses developing after skull development inhibits enlargement of bony canals. I find it implausible that emissary canals would enlarge much later in life.

Thanks for the links
Found some interesting research on condylar differences in 50 normals, as shown on CT scan. It seems that in normals, there is asymetry or ageneis in the condylar veins, but not these giant veins like you're seeing in pwMS, and the occipital bone showed differences which affected the veins...
In all cases, the anterior condylar veins connected the anterior condylar confluence to the marginal sinus; however, a number of cases with asymmetry and agenesis in the posterior and lateral condylar veins were seen. The posterior condylar vein connected the suboccipital cavernous sinus to the sigmoid sinus or anterior condylar confluence. The posterior condylar canal in the occipital bone showed some differences, which were accompanied by variations in the posterior condylar veins. In conclusion, there are some anatomical variations in the venous structures of the craniocervical junction; knowledge of these differences is important for the diagnosis and treatment of skull base diseases. Contrast-enhanced CT using a multidetector scanner is useful for evaluating venous structures in the craniocervical junction.
http://bjr.birjournals.org/cgi/content/ ... 83/994/831

Dr. Z found that the condylar system became one of the main collateral pathways activated in CCSVI. In fact, that's exactly what my hubby had. No jugulars, but big, squirrely condylars. Once he had jugular veins open and flowing, the condylars disappeared. Since his blockage was high, into transverse sinus, maybe that's why the condylars became developed? Maybe it has to do with the location of stenotic lesion and availability of collateral drainage at that location....the old freeway detour analogy?
The main collateral pathways activated in the course of CCSVI are the condylar venous system, the pterygoid plexus and the thyroid veins.2,6 Additionally, the suboccipital cavernous sinus and the hemiazygous-lumbar venous anastomosis with the left renal vein may also become prominent substitute circles. Collateral circulation prevents brain oedema and intracranial hypertension,2,4 and ensures a correct but slower, and thus insufficient, venous drainage.12,14
http://phleb.rsmjournals.com/content/25/6/269.full
anyway, just read that you may still be on vacation...in which case, nevermind, and we'll all catch up with you later....
cheer
Hi cheer.
i am back but not rested after visiting the mosel valley and the black forest and preoctoberfest munich

I think these condylar veins have some importance in clarification of the origins of CCSVI.

It is my understanding from some reading of reports of old anatomical dissections of cadaver skulls and brains that the condylar emissary vein is the most common one in humans. They connect the transverse sinus (sigmoid portion) inside the skull with posterior neck veins that enable them to communicate quite freely with the vertebral veins which are transmitted through the foramen magnum that lies adjacent to the posterior condylar canals. These canals occur in about 77%% of cadavers. They are bilateral in about 50%. Absence of BOTH is pretty uncommon. There is an experiment with passing wires of various sizes into the canals and the vast majority of these canals measured less than 2mm, although smaller occured in 10% and larger occured in only 15%.

This is not my experience in PwMS, who seem to have much larger veins in more than half (guesstimate).

The emissary veins develop in the embryo FIRST and as the fetus develops a skull LATER, bone surrounds these veins and nerves, thus creating the canal the vein passes through. This suggests that any enlargement of the emissary vein occurs before bone development is completed in early childhood. While it is common for high flow arteries (such as aneurysms and arteriovenous malformations), to enlarge the bony canal, i find it more difficult to imagine the bony canal enlarging as low pressure flow through a vein increases because of obstruction of the internal jugular veins.

Thus these findings on venography suggest that CCSVI (at least in cases with quite large condylar emissary veins) represents a congenital malformation of venous development.
Salvatore JA Sclafani MD
Patient contact: ccsviliberation@gmail.com
drsclafani
Family Elder

Post by drsclafani »

David1949 wrote:Dr. Sclafani it is reported that about 20% of people in the general population do not have valves in the jugular veins. Could you estimate what that percentage would be among the people you've treated for CCSVI?
David
what i read was 15% but 20% is in the ranged. It is very difficult to see unthickened mobile valves by IVUS and you usually cannot see the valve without IVUS. This makes answering your question impossible difficult for me. I am finally in the process of reviewing my last 200 patients with IVUS to see the percentage of patients with abnormal right, abnormal left IJV or abnormal Azygous veins. I am going to guesstimate for you that less than 1/3 of either of these IJV have no thickened valves and less than 5% have bilateral normal IVUS. Don't forget, however, that there are other abnrmalities such as duplications, webs, septum, hypoplasia, or thrombosis/agenisis.

I know it doesnt answer your questiona, but that is the best i can do

DrS
Salvatore JA Sclafani MD
drsclafani
Family Elder

Post by drsclafani »

Cece wrote:
As for location, I had the enlargened condylars and my stenoses were valvular, which is quite far away.
AS i mentioned to cheer, this suggests a congenital presence of outflow obstruction.
Salvatore JA Sclafani MD
DougL
Family Elder

Post by DougL »

drsclafani wrote:i am back but not rested after visiting the mosel valley and the black forest and preoctoberfest munich
please rest up before Saturday :-D
drsclafani
Family Elder

Post by drsclafani »

NHE wrote:
bluesky63 wrote:The doctor I saw today said that it's common to use sclerotherapy to "seal off" tortuous veins like this in the pelvis. This made me wonder, what happens to people who have this done? Is there an impact on the rest of the venous system in the nearby anatomy? On potential neuro symptoms?

Thank you very much for any information.
While I don't know if it's the exact same thing, it sounds very similar to a treatment my father had for a varicose leg vein. I believe that there was a compound injected into the vein that was supposed to make the vein die off. This was a disaster. The treatment caused tissue necrosis and he essentially had a hole in the side of his leg. He had to go to a wound healing clinic in order to get some help so it would heal over.

NHE
This is not the same at all. I do not think that this is a standard treatment of varicose veins any longer. If the varicosities were caused by a venous malformation of the leg, then sclerotherapy would be indicated for that.....
Salvatore JA Sclafani MD
drsclafani
Family Elder

Post by drsclafani »

Cece wrote:Bluesky, I hope you find some relief from that pain. We might not hear from Dr. Sclafani for quite some time as he is away on a two-week vacation!

The concern is, if the pelvic veins are sealed off, where would any flow reroute?
not all the pelvic veins are sclerosed. After proper mapping of the venous congestion, catheterization is achieved as close as possible to the abnormal tangle of veins. If it is caused by reflux from the gonadal vein, then sclerosis of the gonadal vein proceeds from near the ovary up towards the renal vein.
Salvatore JA Sclafani MD
drsclafani
Family Elder

Post by drsclafani »

bluesky63 wrote:Ah, I didn't realize about the vacation. I hope he is having a wonderful time. :-) Thanks for the replies. I am horrified by what happened to your father, my dear NHE! And I am baffled by the conflicting issues here -- open up a vein? seal off a vein? stenosed veins? dilated veins? And I'm jittery anyway because of the aneurysms in my family. Hence the desire for actual knowledge and experience. But maybe it's all new. It looks like I'll see the IR before Dr. S is back on board. And on we go . . .
bluesky, i am not that sure of a connection between aneurysms of this problem. Of course, if you had EDS, then that would be another matter.

Were you loose jointed as a kid?
Salvatore JA Sclafani MD
drsclafani
Family Elder

Post by drsclafani »

bluesky63 wrote:Wow, Cece, that's a lot of info packed into that paragraph! :-) I think I may have been checked for MT bbut definitely not for renal. I feel like I'm in nauseating labor with a bonus of chronic appendicitis and cement legs. Yuck. Looking forward to figuring it out, whatever the cause.
bluesky
what was the outcome"??
Salvatore JA Sclafani MD
drsclafani
Family Elder

Post by drsclafani »

Cece wrote:
A question for Dr. Sclafani, that he might not find and that I might forget, is this:
Dr. Gilhooly has said the following. The latter part (that over-agressive high pressure ballooning may risk venous damage) is easily agreed with, although over-aggressive ballooning needs to be well defined. But what about the first part? It is not possible to permanently disrupt these valves using balloons?
It is thought that permanent disruption of the valves using balloons alone is not possible at present and that over aggressive high pressure ballooning may risk venous damage.
http://www.thisisms.com/forum/chronic-c ... ml#p175517
I am not sure if this his opinion or is fact.

As i have said, it does not appear that damage to the vein occurs very easily if balloon size is correct. When it occurs, it appears to result in early problems such as occlusion. If sizing is done properly, as I know Tom's group can do since they use IVUS a lot, the pressure should not be a problem. I think that oversizing, buddy wires, cutting balloons may be more problematic than the pressure, but that is opinion only since i do not use them anymore.

DrS
Salvatore JA Sclafani MD
drsclafani
Family Elder

Post by drsclafani »

Taurus wrote:Dear Sir
Thank you very much for helping MS patients like me on this forum. Diagnosed with MS in December 2008, I got my MRV done at a local hospital. My MRI pics are posted at http://liberation-treatment.com/ms-patient-mrv-scans. My CT venogram also suggested of stenosis at C2 level But my IR disclosed that I have a rare case of Eagle Syndrome. With all this in back ground, I went for liberation treatment which resulted in small improvements as the doc said that he did not find high level of stenosis in IJVs while azygos was clear. Still, I find that my MS has to do something with hemodynamics as often experience heavy sweating from my head once I go on the treadmill. My spasticity in right arm changes with posture (sitting vs standing ) etc. May my IR has left something while doing the procedure or I need to check something else also. I have no typical symptoms of Eagle Syndrome except that lately I sometime felt dizzy one I turned my head towards right. Your expert opinion is solicited please.
Raza
Raza
sorry to tell you that your MRV is pretty unimpressive. It was more of an arterial study and it did not show the area where the IJV enters the chest, which is where most outflow obstructions live.

If you have MS and you had a normal venogram, i would suggest that you either had some abnormality that was not recognized or you dont have ms

Seek a second opinion

DrS
Salvatore JA Sclafani MD
drsclafani
Family Elder

Post by drsclafani »

pelopidas wrote:OVER 400.000 VIEWS?

Congratulations!
i wish there were over 400.000 people liberated, too!

:YMHUG:
I wish i had more patients instead of views!
Salvatore JA Sclafani MD
drsclafani
Family Elder

Post by drsclafani »

deezll wrote:hi Dr S, I just had an appointment with a prof. vascular/brain surgeon at my local hosp. who brought me in to say 'I've looked at your CT scans and there's nothing wrong with your veins.'
What do i do?
Glasgow folk said the same after an ultrasound last year.
Do i drop it and assume i'm one of the 3% of MSers who have totally unaffected blood flow (even though O2 therapy seems to give albeit shortlived benefit) or do i get a copy of the scans and send them to you/someone who knows about CCSVI?
the more i read about ccsvi the more it seems that looking at blood tubes inside the body is an art not a science but how many and whose opinions do i listen to/politely ignore?
(hope i put this in the right place)
CT and ultrasound are not particularly reliable tests for ccsvi. anyone who would say that a CT scan shows nothing wrong with your veins is not an expert in CCSVI. in my opinion the gold standard is a combination of venography and intravascular ultrasound. Anything else will be less accurate.
Salvatore JA Sclafani MD
drsclafani
Family Elder

Post by drsclafani »

Taurus wrote:Please get your arteries like Internal Carotid (both) and others also checked through MRA. I am not a doc but strongly feels CCSVI or insufficient inflow are the reasons behind MS mystery.
taurus, i am not familiar with an arterial explanation of CCSVI or MS

please clarify

DrS
Salvatore JA Sclafani MD