blocked stent question - w a r n i n g !

A forum to discuss Chronic Cerebrospinal Venous Insufficiency and its relationship to Multiple Sclerosis.
CureIous
Family Elder

Re: blocked stent now open

Post by CureIous »

bas wrote:Ok here we go.

Just a short history rehearsel first: was checked for ccsvi in Katowice late March where both jugular veins turned out to be almost non existent. Zero flow in the far too narrow jugs.

Righthand jug could be opened up but collapsed almost immediately so was stented with a 10 X 1 cm Medtronic stent. Left jug could not be approached from inside so an attempt as made to get in through the outside of my neck. A small cut was made to get acces. Pretty painfull but just bearable. They had to stop this action after 2 hours in the ops theater because of excessive bleeding.

So went home with the advice to return for another attempt in 2 month time. I was prescribed Fraxiparine 0,6 ml once a day for 7 days, Clopidogrel 0,075 daily for a year and life long Aspirin.

Positive experiences were the "usual" improved blood flow in hands and feet, no more blue toes. Legs much less spastic and much less pain from the "MS hug" which was a big releave.

A while later it turned out that a hospital nearer my home was starting ccsvi treatment so I decided to see if they might be able to open the left jug which seemed more attractive then another journey to Poland.

By the time I had my appoiment there my spasm and pain were back just as my cold hands etc. Dr Roel Beelen quickly established that the stent in my right jug had no flow at all. It was just filled with clotted blood......

I am now happy to report that 2 days ago the stent was succesfully opened up. It turned out to be quite a job which needed more time and tools then estimated. The loosened debri was sucked away on the spot.

After the stent was opened up and the flow restored he had a succesfull go at my left jugular. Now have a flow of 200 ( 200 what ? ) on both sides.

There wil be a close follow up as he will see me by the end of the month. Medication for the time being: Fraxiparine 6 ml twice a day.

I will keep you posted.
Please do. Thanks for the update, sounds good so far. Good luck! The Fraxipine is an anti-clotting agent per my astute google search, fyi for everyone else. Interesting it is indicated for DVT in the legs. Legs, neck, all veins right? :)

Mark
RRMS Dx'd 2007, first episode 2004. Bilateral stent placement, 3 on left, 1 stent on right, at Stanford August 2009. Watch my operation video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cwc6QlLVtko, Virtually symptom free since, no relap
bas
Family Member

Post by bas »

Condition improved straight after treatment in that way that the nasty pain the olde MS Hug is giving me has dissapeared again. The Hug is still there but much more comfortable.

My legs are MUCH less spastic so they can be moved again. A giant bonus. Getting dressed (by somebody else) is easier.

I can turn around in bed more easily.

Remember I have MS since 1992 don't walk since 2007 so wheelchairbound and EDDS score 8+

Happy with the smallest of improvemenents.
Algis
Family Elder

Post by Algis »

@bas: am 8+ too right now; only left arm/hand remain functional. I'll have my 2nd MRV tomorrow here in Taiwan. I just hope I can control waste and perhaps write again (I loved handwriting).

Best wishes; be well;

Algis
Donnchadh
Family Elder

Post by Donnchadh »

The IR who did my first liberation procedure talked to me about the many types and designs of stents. I was surprised to find out that he had already had used them in other areas of the body (like legs) but not in the neck yet. I was only his second CCSVI patient at the time.

As I think about it now, he did mention that he preferred a stent design that was re-stretchable (for lack of the proper terminology) so that if it re-clogged it could be ballooned open. This is different from a design, once set, isn't elastic.

Donnchadh
Kitty says, "Take that, you stenosis!"

Got MS?.....Get Liberated!
CureIous
Family Elder

Post by CureIous »

bas wrote:Condition improved straight after treatment in that way that the nasty pain the olde MS Hug is giving me has dissapeared again. The Hug is still there but much more comfortable.

My legs are MUCH less spastic so they can be moved again. A giant bonus. Getting dressed (by somebody else) is easier.

I can turn around in bed more easily.

Remember I have MS since 1992 don't walk since 2007 so wheelchairbound and EDDS score 8+

Happy with the smallest of improvemenents.
Fingers crossed, hoping for the best. PLEASE keep us up to date. Good bad or neither.

Mark
RRMS Dx'd 2007, first episode 2004. Bilateral stent placement, 3 on left, 1 stent on right, at Stanford August 2009. Watch my operation video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cwc6QlLVtko, Virtually symptom free since, no relap
bas
Family Member

Post by bas »

OK I am now on Acenocoumarol to keep the stent open.

INR value checked twice weekly trying to stick around 2,5.

Stent check at the end of September.

Still going strong after another bladder infection.
MSLiberation

Re: blocked stent now open

Post by MSLiberation »

bas wrote:Ok here we go.

I am now happy to report that 2 days ago the stent was succesfully opened up. It turned out to be quite a job which needed more time and tools then estimated. The loosened debri was sucked away on the spot.

After the stent was opened up and the flow restored he had a succesfull go at my left jugular. Now have a flow of 200 ( 200 what ? ) on both sides.

There wil be a close follow up as he will see me by the end of the month. Medication for the time being: Fraxiparine 6 ml twice a day.

I will keep you posted.
Hi - I have 3 stents - all linked- in my LIJV. About 6 weeks ago, there was no flow (started getting more MS symtoms about 8 weeks aga so went for a doppler). Apparently, the stents are all clotted. Have been on anticoagulants since th ezstents were put in, but for the last 2 weeks I have been on Heparin. The doctors in th eUS and in Canada say it is too risky to try to remove the clot, and that I have to leave with th eclotted stents. Problem is that 1)I am in a lot of pain and 2) my MS symptoms are worse. Bas, Do you know the name of the procedure they for you to suck the clot out? how long after you clotted did they perform the intervention?
bas
Family Member

Post by bas »

hallo MSliberation,

stent was unblocked after approx 2 month after the symptoms re appeared
Dr just worked his way through it with some tool but all debri was sucked away instantly with some sort of vacuum cleaner through my groin
took about one hour for the one stent of 10 cm long
Cece
Family Elder

Post by Cece »

MSLiberation, I have heard here that a clot can be come permanent after three months. You began re-experiencing symptoms two months ago? What reason have the doctors given for not attempting treatment? I fear they are undervaluing the jugular vein. The risk might be the chance of a clot breaking away and lodging in the lungs. Also it must be a difficult procedure to clear it out. How many doctors have you consulted? I know it might be risky to keep trolling for doctors until you find one who is agreeable but it is also risky to live with the loss of the vein. PM me, ok?
bas
Family Member

Post by bas »

here we go again:

my Polish stent (fitted march) which was blocked this summer and succesfully opened up early july is blocked again.

and this while on a well controlled regime to prevent blood clotting.

advice to everybody:

like Zamboni says: DO NOT USE STENTS

I repeate: DO NOT USE STENTS !!!!!!!!!!!

all I see around me from fellow "stent owners" is nothing but TROUBLE,PAIN & AGONY

DO NOT USE STENTS - THEY WORK OK FOR A SHORT WHILE - BUT GIVE YOU MUCH TROUBLE
1_sindy
Family Member

Post by 1_sindy »

Hello everyone
bas
sorry to hear of the problems with your stent , my hubby was treated in poland and also has clots
One in the stent and one above the stent.
He took all the meds he was told to take and did so well for 9 weeks.
We learned to day that he should not eat black Liquorice while taking any blood thing meds, this we did not know!!!!
How much this played a role in his blood clots we do not know, and are now not sure what to do as canada will not treat him or give him the desolving meds to take care of this, so he is now on warafin and lovenex and with luck that will help.
We wish you the best and you are not the only one in this crapy state...Sindy
Eep

Post by Eep »

I totally agree with Bas.

The majority of the stents placed in Poland in Dutch patients are causing trouble.

The follow-up care in Poland is poor and because of that the condition of your stent isn't monitored on a regular basis.
Badger
Family Elder

:

Post by Badger »

Hi,

I am due to go back to Katowice on Monday 16th November. I also had a stent placed in my Azygos vein and have been getting worse since my original procedure in March.

I was great initially after my procedure and this lasted for 3-4 months, I don;t know what they will find in Poland but hope they find something. :? :? :?
<em>Badger
RRMS 2004</em>
Appt Katowice 23/24th March
Katie41
Family Elder

Post by Katie41 »

Hi Badger,

I'll be thinking good thoughts for you on Monday!!! Say hi to Dr. Ludyga, Dr. Simka, Grzeory (Greg), and Marta for me.

Love,
Katie
dunkempt
Family Elder

Post by dunkempt »

Badger, my fellow March graduate, good luck! Please keep us posted.

-d
dx rrms august 2009 (dx CFS spring 1988) off avonex after 3 months
treated katowice 24-25 march 2010 - best thing that ever happened - check tracking thread