Clinical study @ Amerimed Hospital in Cabo San Lucas?

A forum to discuss Chronic Cerebrospinal Venous Insufficiency and its relationship to Multiple Sclerosis.
Ali888
Family Member

Clinical study @ Amerimed Hospital in Cabo San Lucas?

Post by Ali888 »

Has anyone heard of a CCSVI study being held there from June 14 - 18 Cabo San Lucas, Mexico. They are accepting only 10 patients. I have been accepted...but I dont know that it is legit. The Dr. is Rafael Moguel. The cost is $1500 US for blood work & head MRI. Although very interesting, I am skeptical. Does anyone know any more about this? What questions should I be asking? How can I confirm that this is real?

Thanks for any help!
SandyK
Family Elder

Post by SandyK »

I had the same question. I emailed him this morning with a lot of questions. I will certainly write when I hear back from him.
nicknewf
Family Member

Post by nicknewf »

Looks like you'll have at least one active blogger there with you.

http://www.iusedtorun.org/
cnmurray

More info about the Amerimed team and Dr. Miguel....?

Post by cnmurray »

I'm trying to find info on these guys too. I've found a couple of testimonials, his cardiac training history... but nothing on his training with CCSVI.

Ali88-- where did you read about the trial? What I got from the announcement that's going around is that they've opened their doors to doing the Liberation. ??

They're contacting me next week (when we're in Buffalo, NY getting scans!). I'll let you know what I find out.
Ali888
Family Member

Post by Ali888 »

I learned about this study when I read a post on facebook.

I have asked many questions...but have received no replies.

It just feels like i am being pressured to confirm my participation by the June 7 deadline. I wonder if this doctor has ever performed this procedure before. I also question the truth about there only being 10 people accepted. I have already encountered 6 people who have been accepted.

The price is right and it is fairly close to home, but I think I will stay away from this. it doesnt feel right to me.

If anyone has further info, please share!
sonia52
Family Member

Post by sonia52 »

Try to call to the hospital and ask them if they have a doctor called Rafael Moguel and if he is doing a study on CCSVI. And aks them why he is doing his study on only 10 patients?????

http://www.amerimed-hospitals.com/About/Locations/
Trish317
Family Elder

Post by Trish317 »

It's an MRV that should be performed, not an MRI.
Brightspot
Family Elder

Post by Brightspot »

I would be quite suspicious of anyone making time limited offers.

An MRI is of no use in diagnosing CCSVI. Blood work can be done at home.
Cece
Family Elder

Post by Cece »

Sometimes clinics use MRI and MRV interchangeably, but they mean the MRV. False Creek did this...called it an MRI but were doing an MRV.
"However, the truth in science ultimately emerges, although sometimes it takes a very long time," Arthur Silverstein, Autoimmunity: A History of the Early Struggle for Recognition
Trooper
Getting to Know You...

CCSVI- Cabo - Mexico

Post by Trooper »

Hi there:
Rec'd this reply from Dr. M on Fri. morning within 30 min of my e-mail to him

Our trial is complete.
We will continue MS clinic on regular basis because the actual evidence is enough.
My friend and clinic coordinator, Andrew Brakke, will contact you for schedule and logistics.
Rafa Moguel

T :roll:
Diag. '88 - SPMS - CCSVI- Liberated by Dr Moguel - Cabo, Mexico - 7-2010 - Trooper- is my vehicle
Ali888
Family Member

Post by Ali888 »

I did receive a response from the doctor. I will not be participating with this study.

"I am Dr. Moguel and you need to know that I am no specifically trained in this procedure but I have a complete training and experience in global endovascular procedures in Europe and the USA, including venous treatment and cerebro/vascular diagnosis and treatment.
The tests we are going to do before de procedure will be neurological and psychiatric assessment plus US/Doppler venous flow recordings.
The protocol to follow will be in the order written above before catheterization. Once in the cath lab we will access the vena cava by groin puncture, in search for the jugular and azigous veins for angiography and pressure measurements followed by balloon angioplasty as needed. In selected cases we will do more distal venography and in some cases stenting will be done ass needed.
Please let us know if these answers are enough for you to take your decision."
prairiegirl
Family Elder

Post by prairiegirl »

*ouch* 8O
(...I would have made the same decision, Ali)
Trooper
Getting to Know You...

Post by Trooper »

prairiegirl wrote:*ouch* 8O
(...I would have made the same decision, Ali)
That's good to know, makes ur decision easier :(

Thank you

T
Diag. '88 - SPMS - CCSVI- Liberated by Dr Moguel - Cabo, Mexico - 7-2010 - Trooper- is my vehicle
magoo
Family Elder

Post by magoo »

Please be cautious :o
Rhonda~
Treated by Dake 10/19/09, McGuckin 4/25/11 and 3/9/12- blockages in both IJVs, azy, L-iliac, L-renal veins. CCSVI changed my life and disease.
laura383
Family Member

Post by laura383 »

This doesn't sound wierd to me, it sounds exactly like every other angioplasty procedure I have heard of. I wish he'd have decided to do it sooner as I was looking for a clinic in Mexico, but there wasn't one yet. I'm in Denver and it would be convenient. However, I'm on a list now and my date is coming up soon.

Obviously a person needs to do what they are comfortable with, but there is nothing here out of line that I can see. Most balloon angioplasty (or venoplasty) goes through the groin area. That's what my procedure is going to be.